High School Do You Work With Your Feeder Jr. High Schools?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 23, 2012
I know some high schools have their cheerleaders coach the local jr. high team as well. How does that work? Do they come to the high school to practice? Do you go to their school? Cheerleading takes up so much time, I'm just wondering how you fit in time to coach the younger girls as well. I like this idea and would like to eventually make it happen, but again I'm just wondering how that works with timing of practices/games and everything.

TIA for your help!

Our youth team would come in and practice before our varsity practice. Then for games we had 2-3 girls at each game to supervise, we were usually able to rotate who went. It worked well.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

This works best when the Jr High & High School are close together. The transport to get everyone in one facility is much much easier if that is the case.

Also, it will greatly depend on what time the schools start/end & if you have a the advantage of a"cheerleading" block during the day for the HS. (If so, you can work on HS stunts/routines during that block & then focus on group conditioning, tumbling repetitions, jumping together at practice before or after school with the Jr High. After the group exercises, you can have the HS girls help the Jr High, whether it be demonstrating stunts, helping with motions, etc. )

Our youth team would come in and practice before our varsity practice. Then for games we had 2-3 girls at each game to supervise, we were usually able to rotate who went. It worked well.

Would the whole varsity team lead practice or would you take turns with that as well? Did you ever have conflicts with your games and the youth's games?

Would the whole varsity team lead practice or would you take turns with that as well? Did you ever have conflicts with your games and the youth's games?
We almost always had the whole team there, but we had two or three girls that were designated by the head of the youth cheer program to be the main leaders, so they were like head coaches. They would be the main teachers of the material, lead the majority of the practice and create the routine for performances. The other team members would demonstrate in front while the head girls explained (motions, cheers etc.) and mix in with the girls so if they were in the back they would have a varsity girl near them to see better. Then we would break up into the grades 5-8 and our team would split up 3-4 girls with each grade to help them with whatever cheers they were struggling with, and help them on stunts. For games, our games were Friday nights and youth games were Saturday mornings so there was never a conflict. Only conflict we ever had was the day of homecoming, all the girls were getting ready so parents of the youth girls volunteered to supervise.

We almost always had the whole team there, but we had two or three girls that were designated by the head of the youth cheer program to be the main leaders, so they were like head coaches. They would be the main teachers of the material, lead the majority of the practice and create the routine for performances. The other team members would demonstrate in front while the head girls explained (motions, cheers etc.) and mix in with the girls so if they were in the back they would have a varsity girl near them to see better. Then we would break up into the grades 5-8 and our team would split up 3-4 girls with each grade to help them with whatever cheers they were struggling with, and help them on stunts. For games, our games were Friday nights and youth games were Saturday mornings so there was never a conflict. Only conflict we ever had was the day of homecoming, all the girls were getting ready so parents of the youth girls volunteered to supervise.

Excellent! Thank you so much for all your help! :)

My friend and I who are on varsity go once a week to work with the younger girls on their routines. We basically clean it up for them and help them to progress to harder things. Its really fun they are all so nice and take corrections without snappy comments. They are also a competition team in the winter and cut the girls that aren't good so they are insanely talented too. There are two girls on the rec team with round off bhs whips. Its crazy.

We have a middle school program and the cheerleading coach position is actually a paid position. I just use my own knowledge but every once in a while we will have the HS cheer girls come in and help. Then during their spirit week pep rally the college, high school and middle school cheer teams all come down and perform.

Back