All-Star Do Your Coaches Have Your Cp's Best Interests At Heart?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

T

thebowqueen

Just wondering, Do you believe your gym's coaches have your cp's best interests at heart? I mean, there's a lot of talk of coach's favoritism, coaches being in it for the money, and coaches that act unprofessionally. I know that I, personally, try to act in the best possible interest of each one of my cheerleaders that I coach and each one in the gym. Especially when picking teams. We have to build the best 8 teams with the kids we have and we are trying to balance them out with respect to the new weight stunting has (as I'm sure many gyms are doing right now before choreography.)

I feel like a lot of parents are mistrusting of their coaches though. When I know that most coaches love the sport, love the kids, and are just doing their best to keep it all together.

No doubt. No question. No way I would ever think that CP's coaches have anything less than her very best interest at heart in every decision they make. BTW, I'm not a 'drink the koolaid' kind of person but I can say that if I didn't feel that they had her best interests at heart I'd change gyms in a New York minute!

However, this doesn't mean that they always do what I would wish or what my CP would wish. She isn't always front and center and she doesn't even fly in every stunt but nobody could convince me that these decisions aren't the right ones for both the team AND my cp.

Yes I really do. If I ever question their motives, it's only in my head out of curiosity, not judgement.
I had a situation with a coach where I felt he wasn't honest with me. I do not believe if I had listened to him, it would be outside of my cp's best interest, however, I don't think his motives were really about her/for her.
But, in general, overall, I feel like the staff of our gym works entirely in the best interest of the teams. That doesn't mean I don't question why (but that's just out of wanting to better understand the inner workings, not doubting their decisions).

If I couldn't trust my CPs coaches to do what was in the best interest of the team and to make sure that things are being done in a safe way my CP would no longer be cheering at that gym. My CPs safety is far more important to me than her placement in a routine.

Maybe it's because I'm still in school, and maybe it's just because I love my job, but I think of coaching my three teams as a privilege. I always try to put every child's best interest first, usually with my age kids it means about safely getting new skills. Even if that means angry parents because their kids aren't progressing as fast as they want them to. But for little kids, it's about so much more than just cheerleading. We teach team work, listening, sharing, and confidence. Not to mention fine motor skills such as kneeling and jumping with too feet. The first place some kids learn their right and left is on our Tiny team. Emotional health wise, I'm not a parent. So, there's only so much I can do. But I know, especially in certain cases, we're the only positive role model some of these kids have.

@[URL='http://forum.fierceboard.com/members/thebowqueen.12320/' said:
thebowqueen[/URL] , it was my understanding that coaches don't do this for the money...like, ever...

Some coaches are absolutely in it for the money. I have had a guy tell me that he doesn't care if susie should be working on a tuck or not - her mom is paying him and he is going to flip her over as much as she wants. Susie has a weak bhs and won't even tuck on the tumble trak. All the while telling susie's mom she can do it by herself - he is just standing there. Then susie goes to try it and without a huge spot falls and gets hurt.

thebowqueen said:
Some coaches are absolutely in it for the money.

Please no one take this the wrong way.. but is the pay THAT good? I always assumed most coaches had a "main" job and then coached for fun/a little extra money on the side.

Privates are where most of the money is. 35/hour times 10 a week is 1400 a month. What other job could you make that kind of money for 10 hours a week?

Privates are where most of the money is. 35/hour times 10 a week is 1400 a month. What other job could you make that kind of money for 10 hours a week?

At the same time there is no chance to really make MORE than that and that is 1400 on the best months... not always consistent. Cheer works fewer hours but there are fewer earning opportunities. If you couldn't make a living off of it then no one would do it.

I feel my first responsibility is the best interest of the team. That doesn't necessarily always coincide with the best interest of the individual though. I want all my kids to progress, perform and grow. I want each kid to reach their potential and then keep on going. However, I always think team first, individual second.

Absolutely. However, I think it's important to understand the distinction between "team" and "child." Sometimes there are team decisions to be made that aren't what your child (or you) wants. But, it's in the best interest of the team....that your child is on. Hence, doing what's right for the team is the same to me as doing what's best for my kid. Let's face it, no coach wakes up in the morning and says, "I want to put a stop to our cheerleader's progress!" "I want to put together a team that will lose!" No one says that. I've seen people get upset and leave gyms because their CP isn't on the "team" they want, in the role they want (usually the team with the winning tradition) but some of these folks don't get that if their CP WAS on that team - it might not win.

So, I trust them entirely to put my CP(s) where they're going to be the most successful with that team, in that spot (even if it's - GASP! - in the back of the lineup and doing the job -GASP AGAIN!- (like NOT flying) that's going to have my CP's TEAM dominate the mat.

Team first. Everything else comes second. (That includes my CP(s)). I love them. But, they're not more important than the team.

At the same time there is no chance to really make MORE than that and that is 1400 on the best months... not always consistent. Cheer works fewer hours but there are fewer earning opportunities. If you couldn't make a living off of it then no one would do it.

@kingston is right. We do this because we love it- not for the money. I would guess the coach in the example is the exception and not the rule. I would also assume that if he keeps running his private lessons that way then he won't be successful, and ultimately have to do something else "for the money".

I do believe it. However, especially as the girls get older ( our gym is girl only), what the coaches see as the best interests and what the girls see as their desires may not be the same thing. They do what is best for the team, not necessarily for the individual.
The coaches work their hearts out to make sure that the girls do their best and are there to help them grow as young women as well as athletes. Sometimes, though, they do have to get harsh with the girls. It's usually because the girls are jacking around, being mean (definitely not OK at our gym), not listening, or just slacking off. As long as it's appropriate, I'm OK with that.

Back