All-Star Do Your Coaches Have Your Cp's Best Interests At Heart?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I firmly believe that in cheer, as in any other profession, you are going to find good coaches and bad. I think that 90% of the coaches have the best interest of the team and any individual cp in mind. I also believe that what is best for the team takes priority over the individual wants of me or my cp. Now having said all that I will say that there are coaches out there that 1) think they are God and treat teams, parents et all like lesser beings who could not possiby understand the loftiness of their choices. or 2) are immature and make deceisions based on favoritism and to be contrary. In 7 seasons of cheer I have run across some of the lesser 10% but fortunately have been blessed to have my cp's work almost entirely with the wonderful 90%.

idk @FamousRudags do u? haha just kidding

Hey now Casserole!

@thebowqueen - When you talk about coaches favorites, in it for the money, and act unprofessionally - I would like to address those issues separatley.

When it comes to coaches favorites - I have been accused COUNTLESS times of having 'favorites' While I try not to particulary try and act like I have favorites - the fact is - that I do. You want to know who my favorites are? The kids that bust their butts every practice. If I have a team of 20 that bust their butts - I dont have any favorites - that team is my favorite. My favorites arent favorites because they are the most talented, they arent the prettiest, they arent my favorites because I know their parents, fact is - my favorites work hard. And I like those kids because I see myself when I was younger in them. So as far as favorites in my gym - Yeah I have them. And if you come watch a practice, and you see who is working, and who is chatting and could care less - you could guess my favorites. I will say Junior Coed 5 and Senior 2 are my favorites at my gym due to their work effort as a team and how well they get a long and how positive and encouraging they are! I know there are coaches who have favorites for alterior motives, but I assure you, If you work hard, your a favorite of mine.

"in it for the money" - I dont know about your gym - but being in coaching "for the money" is a joke. Unless your full time, have a butt load of private lessons that the gym doesnt take half, I find this to be an oxymoron. Coaches arent the most overpaid professional in the country, however, I know we arent the underpaid either. Im fortunate enough that my current gym, our coaches are here because they want to be.

Unprofessional coaches - The thing with this - Our industry has some pretty young coaches. A lot of gyms graduate out some seniors that go to school close by so they pick up hours at the gym. Or people hire people in or fresh out of college. Fact is, not a whole lot of people that are in their 30's or older are out looking for a cheer job. We have a young market of coaches. Of course I understand it is hard to separate friendship to coach when a senior graduates out and starts coaching. I really cant blame them. Its a hard transition. I started coaching when I was 18 and I know I made my fair of mistakes. You learn from them, and you move on. I think more gym owners need contracts for their coaches on professionalism. If you have pictures on facebook gettin sloshed, partying with athletes, whatever the case may be, you need a contract that you sign that you can get fired.

Dont get me wrong, I go out and drink on the weekends, fact is - I am not friends with my kids on facebook. We have a private group for our Famous teams and taht is how the coaches can interact with the athletes, I think that is the safest, best way.

Of my soapbox now.

I feel my first responsibility is the best interest of the team. That doesn't necessarily always coincide with the best interest of the individual though. I want all my kids to progress, perform and grow. I want each kid to reach their potential and then keep on going. However, I always think team first, individual second.

I was going to post exactly this. So I'll just say "ditto" instead. :) However, I do my very best to help each individual athlete become the best they can be which in turn makes my team the best that it can be.

I also feel like the coaches have the best interest of the teams in mind. That works fine for me. If I wanted it to be all about my kid I would have her in more of an individual sport. My CP will do her best to contribute to the teams success.

Hey now Casserole!

@thebowqueen - When you talk about coaches favorites, in it for the money, and act unprofessionally - I would like to address those issues separatley.

When it comes to coaches favorites - I have been accused COUNTLESS times of having 'favorites' While I try not to particulary try and act like I have favorites - the fact is - that I do. You want to know who my favorites are? The kids that bust their butts every practice. If I have a team of 20 that bust their butts - I dont have any favorites - that team is my favorite. My favorites arent favorites because they are the most talented, they arent the prettiest, they arent my favorites because I know their parents, fact is - my favorites work hard. And I like those kids because I see myself when I was younger in them. So as far as favorites in my gym - Yeah I have them. And if you come watch a practice, and you see who is working, and who is chatting and could care less - you could guess my favorites. I will say Junior Coed 5 and Senior 2 are my favorites at my gym due to their work effort as a team and how well they get a long and how positive and encouraging they are! I know there are coaches who have favorites for alterior motives, but I assure you, If you work hard, your a favorite of mine.

"in it for the money" - I dont know about your gym - but being in coaching "for the money" is a joke. Unless your full time, have a butt load of private lessons that the gym doesnt take half, I find this to be an oxymoron. Coaches arent the most overpaid professional in the country, however, I know we arent the underpaid either. Im fortunate enough that my current gym, our coaches are here because they want to be.

Unprofessional coaches - The thing with this - Our industry has some pretty young coaches. A lot of gyms graduate out some seniors that go to school close by so they pick up hours at the gym. Or people hire people in or fresh out of college. Fact is, not a whole lot of people that are in their 30's or older are out looking for a cheer job. We have a young market of coaches. Of course I understand it is hard to separate friendship to coach when a senior graduates out and starts coaching. I really cant blame them. Its a hard transition. I started coaching when I was 18 and I know I made my fair of mistakes. You learn from them, and you move on. I think more gym owners need contracts for their coaches on professionalism. If you have pictures on facebook gettin sloshed, partying with athletes, whatever the case may be, you need a contract that you sign that you can get fired.

Dont get me wrong, I go out and drink on the weekends, fact is - I am not friends with my kids on facebook. We have a private group for our Famous teams and taht is how the coaches can interact with the athletes, I think that is the safest, best way.

Of my soapbox now.

i think i can tell who ur favs are haha! but ur rite our team is like a family we have problems but we r all such good friends and for sr 2 well they are just amazing i would love to be on their team

Back