All-Star Does Everyone Make A Team Who Tries Out?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm curious - why did you think that it hurt to have that policy?

While on one hand, I think it's a good self confidence booster for every child to know that when they walk into a try-out they will come out of it on a team, it's also a competitive sport and those athletes should expect that the coaches put together the best possible team they can to go out and do well and teach them something new regardless of what area it's in.

And I know, I know...it's not all about winning, BUT it's also not about going into every competition and know you'll lose and/or have no room to grow. And, let's be honest---does every athlete who tries out for a sport, make the team? No. So learning disappointment, focusing on more practice and perfecting their skills for the next try-outs also teach coping skills, how to handle disappointment, and reinforce a strong work ethic. I know this doesn't normally fly in competitive cheer which thrives on the money of us parents but I'm very anti-everyone gets a trophy, don't keep score, celebrate all type of people either.

At CP's old gym there were 3 teams, 3 teams, and this past year 2 teams. As I've said before in my posts, we were in a military community with a program build on that foundation and moving comes with the territory. But it was also middle of nowhere, farmy, rural area so there weren't a huge pool to draw from like you could in a bigger city or at a bigger base. They did great with what they had, but after being on a Mini 1 for a half year team (18 girls), next season the team switched to a Tiny team full year (no Mini team, but the team went from 8 to 6 to 5 at the final competition), and then back up to a Mini team (8 ish or 9 maybe); I watched as the girl's who had been there from the start, openly welcomed new girl's in who had no experience whatsoever, also hold those girl's back from progressing in almost every area. The coaches and practices had to not only focus on ensuring the 'Veteran' girl's were where they were, but also getting the newer kids up to that level; and in those age categories, that takes time. But after watching our team practice, I noticed the same scenario playing out with the Youth and Senior teams as well, as their numbers fluctuated from season to season as well. Any of the girl's (across all age groups) who wanted to rise above had to rely on other classes or privates because practices were focused on getting everyone to the level the girl's were at while never really pushing beyond that. And that senior girl who had that amazing layout who could never use it at a competition because she didn't have access to a level appropriate team...yeah, it wasn't just my cp's age group (which is the most lax age group I think) that this scenario effected.

Now, is that a coaches error? *sigh* Yes, especially with the older kids who can adapt to change and who can change choreo from one comp to another more seamless than our age group could (though our girl's did at the end, but it took a parent practically taking over to enact any change, and I won't get into that because the drama that ended last season was worthy of a Cheer Perfection episode and just no...)

But where they ended last year, to what they were given over the summer was more or less the same as that same scenario played out. Girls came in who knew the drill, most came in who knew next to nothing. And that standstill, in a tiny gym that doesn't have the numbers to build two different teams in the same age category hurts. The sad part is, and I started paying more attention as the drama erupted on our team (well it was really 2 of the moms, but that is neither here nor there) of who came back across all the age groups, who looked for options elsewhere that may have resulted in a longer drive, and who had their children just quit the sport and refuse to pay for it anymore was crazy. By the time we moved, my CP would have been one of only five or six total that were there the season prior across all of the age groups. In fact, they had every intention of dropping Tiny/Mini period and moving our returning girl's to Youth and doing Youth and Senior only. But now it's Mini and Senior because they didn't have anyone from that middle age group come back.

I promise I'm not a SM and I'm actually a pretty lowkey mom, just tell me where to be, what you want her to look like, and how much do I owe you type of person...but her first gym, albeit tiny and inexperienced, taught me a wealth of information I'll take forward now that she's decided to stick with this sport, we're moved onto civilian (retired) life and can chose a gym she can grow in until she's ready to stop.

What CP had going in her favor was my laid-backness---when she wanted to be pushed and asked for additional classes, I found them for her and over the summer spent 3 days of our the week driving 45 minutes each way for her to practice 2-3 hours a night at a completely different gym and spend two nights locally at our gym so she could do practices and privates. Her summer was all about cheer, at her request---but unlike some of my fellow cheer moms from last season, not all of them were so 'accommodating'.

Didn't really mean to write a novel, and this may be a scenario you have to experience and/or watch to get what I'm really saying, and not that we'd ever avoid a gym who had this policy---but I'll never stick CP into another gym who has this policy without the numbers to back-up multiple teams in the same age category. If she has level 3 skills and they field a level 2 team and a level 1 team, I could stomach that; but I won't let her field and bust her a** to get those level 3 or even level 4 skills to be stuck on a level one team with absolutely no room to grow because the gym just has no other options of where to put her.

While on one hand, I think it's a good self confidence booster for every child to know that when they walk into a try-out they will come out of it on a team, it's also a competitive sport and those athletes should expect that the coaches put together the best possible team they can to go out and do well and teach them something new regardless of what area it's in.

And I know, I know...it's not all about winning, BUT it's also not about going into every competition and know you'll lose and/or have no room to grow. And, let's be honest---does every athlete who tries out for a sport, make the team? No. So learning disappointment, focusing on more practice and perfecting their skills for the next try-outs also teach coping skills, how to handle disappointment, and reinforce a strong work ethic. I know this doesn't normally fly in competitive cheer which thrives on the money of us parents but I'm very anti-everyone gets a trophy, don't keep score, celebrate all type of people either.

This might work for the usa but even though cheer is growing in the uk it is very hard to practice skills if you havent made a team because most teams do not do open gyms they do program tumbling class due to the fact most do not train in their own facilities.

For me there is little hope of getting more skills this year as I have no gymnastics gym I can go to regularly, no team and just to go to a cheer class I have to travel 3 hours one way. I am sorry but as much as I love cheer I am not going to travel every week 3 hours one way just to go to a class with no hope of competing.

When people see me and i have a forward roll and a dodgy cartwheel everyone thinks I dont work hard enough but they are wrong in the summer I was going to as many open sessions in my area (I now live in a cheer black hole) working hard at practice and constantly asking for corrections. I am 20 and not a natural tumbler but will do my best but it hurts when for your try out they talk about how they are a family then come up to you and say your going to improve a lot then to get a message saying there isnt a place hope the season goes well knowing they were the last tryouts for the season so I didnt really have a chance to find another team as most were full?

There is still disappointment in all-star, a girl who wants to make a level 5 team only makes a level 1 team. It is a sport and I do think everyone should have a place and a chance to feel part of a team, it might not be a team a one gym but it could be a team at another so keep looking till you find your fit. When children first start out in a sport they need a little bit of time to have the opportunity to learn the sport. My 5 year old knew nothing the end of May, she now has her walk overs, round offs, one handed cartwheels, jumps, can stunt, do her heelstretch, bow and arrow, all of her level one skills plus but had she not been given an opportunity to learn she wouldn't have.

At CP's old gym there were 3 teams, 3 teams, and this past year 2 teams. As I've said before in my posts, we were in a military community with a program build on that foundation and moving comes with the territory. But it was also middle of nowhere, farmy, rural area so there weren't a huge pool to draw from like you could in a bigger city or at a bigger base. They did great with what they had, but after being on a Mini 1 for a half year team (18 girls), next season the team switched to a Tiny team full year (no Mini team, but the team went from 8 to 6 to 5 at the final competition), and then back up to a Mini team (8 ish or 9 maybe); I watched as the girl's who had been there from the start, openly welcomed new girl's in who had no experience whatsoever, also hold those girl's back from progressing in almost every area. The coaches and practices had to not only focus on ensuring the 'Veteran' girl's were where they were, but also getting the newer kids up to that level; and in those age categories, that takes time. But after watching our team practice, I noticed the same scenario playing out with the Youth and Senior teams as well, as their numbers fluctuated from season to season as well. Any of the girl's (across all age groups) who wanted to rise above had to rely on other classes or privates because practices were focused on getting everyone to the level the girl's were at while never really pushing beyond that. And that senior girl who had that amazing layout who could never use it at a competition because she didn't have access to a level appropriate team...yeah, it wasn't just my cp's age group (which is the most lax age group I think) that this scenario effected.

Now, is that a coaches error? *sigh* Yes, especially with the older kids who can adapt to change and who can change choreo from one comp to another more seamless than our age group could (though our girl's did at the end, but it took a parent practically taking over to enact any change, and I won't get into that because the drama that ended last season was worthy of a Cheer Perfection episode and just no...)

But where they ended last year, to what they were given over the summer was more or less the same as that same scenario played out. Girls came in who knew the drill, most came in who knew next to nothing. And that standstill, in a tiny gym that doesn't have the numbers to build two different teams in the same age category hurts. The sad part is, and I started paying more attention as the drama erupted on our team (well it was really 2 of the moms, but that is neither here nor there) of who came back across all the age groups, who looked for options elsewhere that may have resulted in a longer drive, and who had their children just quit the sport and refuse to pay for it anymore was crazy. By the time we moved, my CP would have been one of only five or six total that were there the season prior across all of the age groups. In fact, they had every intention of dropping Tiny/Mini period and moving our returning girl's to Youth and doing Youth and Senior only. But now it's Mini and Senior because they didn't have anyone from that middle age group come back.

I promise I'm not a SM and I'm actually a pretty lowkey mom, just tell me where to be, what you want her to look like, and how much do I owe you type of person...but her first gym, albeit tiny and inexperienced, taught me a wealth of information I'll take forward now that she's decided to stick with this sport, we're moved onto civilian (retired) life and can chose a gym she can grow in until she's ready to stop.

What CP had going in her favor was my laid-backness---when she wanted to be pushed and asked for additional classes, I found them for her and over the summer spent 3 days of our the week driving 45 minutes each way for her to practice 2-3 hours a night at a completely different gym and spend two nights locally at our gym so she could do practices and privates. Her summer was all about cheer, at her request---but unlike some of my fellow cheer moms from last season, not all of them were so 'accommodating'.

Didn't really mean to write a novel, and this may be a scenario you have to experience and/or watch to get what I'm really saying, and not that we'd ever avoid a gym who had this policy---but I'll never stick CP into another gym who has this policy without the numbers to back-up multiple teams in the same age category. If she has level 3 skills and they field a level 2 team and a level 1 team, I could stomach that; but I won't let her field and bust her a** to get those level 3 or even level 4 skills to be stuck on a level one team with absolutely no room to grow because the gym just has no other options of where to put her.

I totally understand and agree with what you are saying. Cp also got lost between levels this year and I never should have let it happen. We are a bigger gym than yours, but the only jump from mini1 is straight to a J2. She didn't have the tumbling skills to be placed there, but she definitely had the maturity and drive as a 3 year seasoned all star to be placed on a team that was more advanced than complete and young novices. The one redeeming factor is that she is basing this season, so she is learning something new since until now she has always flown. I love her coach who utilizes her well, but I do feel that maybe I should have been more proactive (ballsy) to find a gym that might have been a better fit. It is tough when the team you need from your gym doesn't exist.

I see what you guys are saying - I guess in the case of a really small gym it is hard to make these inexperienced athletes fit in w/ experienced ones. Most gyms around me have mini 1, youth and/or junior 1/2 and a senior 2/4.2 team to hold those new kids w/o tumbling skills - these are in addition to the level 3, 4 and 5 teams. The smaller the gym, the more crossovering is going on to keep all the teams a good size. At CP's gym I'd say the majority of the girls who have a backhandspring and above are on 2 teams - they may be on the high range of tumbling skill on one, but on the low range on another - and they may have a different stunting position on each team.

Well im currently not happy there was one tumbling session I was hoping to go to but now the requirment is you have to have all the skills leading up to a roundoff to go but the is no help to get these skills to be able to go

I see what you guys are saying - I guess in the case of a really small gym it is hard to make these inexperienced athletes fit in w/ experienced ones. Most gyms around me have mini 1, youth and/or junior 1/2 and a senior 2/4.2 team to hold those new kids w/o tumbling skills - these are in addition to the level 3, 4 and 5 teams. The smaller the gym, the more crossovering is going on to keep all the teams a good size. At CP's gym I'd say the majority of the girls who have a backhandspring and above are on 2 teams - they may be on the high range of tumbling skill on one, but on the low range on another - and they may have a different stunting position on each team.

That sounds ideal.

Well im currently not happy there was one tumbling session I was hoping to go to but now the requirment is you have to have all the skills leading up to a roundoff to go but the is no help to get these skills to be able to go

Have you tried privates. You might be able to catch up quickly, and the individual attention might be good after your injury.

Last edited:
Privates do not exist where I am and I do not know a gym around here that does privates also due to an old back injury I can't walkover

It makes me so sad that there aren't any options for you :( There has to be something that we aren't thinking of!

How about a gymnastics gym? Is there one of those near you where you could take classes?

A back injury that prevents a walkover can also be hard for learning back-handsprings - once you have a handspring it's not that big of a deal (I know a lot of gymnasts who can't walkover because of back issues that can still handspring fine cause they learned their handspring pre-back issues), but a lot of the drills that lead up to a handspring do put pressure on the lower back.

Privates do not exist where I am and I do not know a gym around here that does privates also due to an old back injury I can't walkover

How about a gymnastics gym? Is there one of those near you where you could take classes?

A back injury that prevents a walkover can also be hard for learning back-handsprings - once you have a handspring it's not that big of a deal (I know a lot of gymnasts who can't walkover because of back issues that can still handspring fine cause they learned their handspring pre-back issues), but a lot of the drills that lead up to a handspring do put pressure on the lower back.

First Helen i feel you.. having a back injury is the main reason i have never cheered.. i have had surgery on my spine and have metal in my body so cant tumble at all. and even before i had surgery i coul tumble much because of my scoliosis. helen you are my inspiration. i am a bit oler than you but know how it feels not being able to cheer and the distance isnt even a problem for me. i have not one but TWO gyms in about a half hour (in sweden thats alot) but just cant cheer because of my back :(

Unfortunately where I am the university cheer team gets to pick 5 people to go to the gymnastics facility every week and as they do not do an open gym for adults now they have implemented this rule I dont have anywhere to go

Due to circumstances I am deferring uni soon so it wasn't fair on the girls at the university to try out for the team,

Tumbling wise one gym had alot of people who didnt have flexible backs but were level 3 as great stunters so they made sure their round off was good and worked on tucks. I am hoping once I find the right place I will be able able to progress

What skills do you need before a roundoff, exactly? A handstand? A cartwheel? I feel like these are all things that can be decently self taught, especially as an adult.

What skills do you need before a roundoff, exactly? A handstand? A cartwheel? I feel like these are all things that can be decently self taught, especially as an adult.
hanstand and cartwheel I can work on but also a bridge and walkovers which I cant do due to issue with my back

Back