High School Does Order Of Performance Really Impact Judging?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 24, 2014
Just found out that my team is first to go at our competition, and I couldn't help but cringe. Ever since I cheered myself, it's always been forced upon me that the first team is judged the hardest. I'm curious if anyone else believes this/has heard of this. I've been told everything from first is judged the hardest to you do NOT want to go last.

So what do you guys think? Does order of performance really impact judging? Or is it all superstition/myth?

I have heard when you are at a big comp. (more than 10 in your group) it can impact judging/scores. From what I have heard, If it isn't a big comp. you shouldn't see an impact.

Great topic! Love to hear others thoughts!

I've grown up with these same things being said. Honestly, in coaching I've not seen that it is or isn't true. We've gone first and won many times. We've gone first and not won many times. I think it largely depends on the competition and how many teams there are.

I feel that in allstar competitions this isn't really true. With the ranges and scoring grids, I really feel like it's more fair and the order doesn't effect it. Your routine either hits the scoresheet and meets the maximums or it doesn't. From there its all about your choreo, performance, and execution.

At UCA though, I really think the order plays into the scoring. I cringe most when we're the team following the current national champions (happened to us 3 weeks ago). I'm not sure if first is always the worst place in order to go, but I definitely think the order plays a big part with subjective score sheets. I especially hate how much scores can vary with how big the divisions are at nationals. I love deep competition, but I hate that the scoring really doesn't stay consistent. I know they try, but when there are 30 teams in a division, skill level is all over the place, and there is no scoring grid in place, I think it's impossible to stay consistent. By team #12 the judges don't remember what team #1 did. I also hate division splits at nationals, but that's another topic!

In Virginia, If you place high at the Regional competition, you go near last at the State championship. So I would think, like @incognitocheermom said earlier, if it is a bigger comp then order seems to have a good determining factor on how you get scored. But I have seen a few teams near the beginning of a competition come out on top 3 before, so it can be done

So I'm going to get scientific here. When I judge tryouts... (And I judge a lot) The kids who go first.. I always judge WAY harder than say the 10/30th kid... And I feel the same applies to competing. I will say as AScheer stated by number 15... I completely forget what #1 did. I do tend to soften up on the scoring as I see more talent... Super interesting topic. We always seem to be first in the line up somewhere...

So I'm going to get scientific here. When I judge tryouts... (And I judge a lot) The kids who go first.. I always judge WAY harder than say the 10/30th kid... And I feel the same applies to competing. I will say as AScheer stated by number 15... I completely forget what #1 did. I do tend to soften up on the scoring as I see more talent... Super interesting topic. We always seem to be first in the line up somewhere...
Agree. I also tend to score a little tougher at the beginning of tryouts.

I am the same way... it takes time to calibrate my judgment.

Just found out that my team is first to go at our competition, and I couldn't help but cringe. Ever since I cheered myself, it's always been forced upon me that the first team is judged the hardest. I'm curious if anyone else believes this/has heard of this. I've been told everything from first is judged the hardest to you do NOT want to go last.

So what do you guys think? Does order of performance really impact judging? Or is it all superstition/myth?

Would LOVE to hear from UCA judges! Especially with HS nattys around the corner!
I hate first.... I love when the girls compete last!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back