All-Star "does Their Music Really Say That?"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

As a choreographer, I have actually had school teams ask for the SAME EXACT dance or stunt that they found online. It's frustrating because you don't want to be tagged as the choreographer who recycled material from a different team, but at the same time you don't want to lose the thousands of dollars for that choreography. Luckily it hasn't happened often, and only with teams that don't compete at more than one national event, but I can imagine this happens to others as well.

Swoop said:
As a choreographer, I have actually had school teams ask for the SAME EXACT dance or stunt that they found online. It's frustrating because you don't want to be tagged as the choreographer who recycled material from a different team, but at the same time you don't want to lose the thousands of dollars for that choreography. Luckily it hasn't happened often, and only with teams that don't compete at more than one national event, but I can imagine this happens to others as well.

That's what I'm thinking is the case more often than not. People want THAT dance or THAT pyramid, etc and request it. I can't imagine the choreographers (especially one like JP--who's been around since God was a child) wanting to recycle their material in the age of YouTube and Fierceboard.

That's what I'm thinking is the case more often than not. People want THAT dance or THAT pyramid, etc and request it. I can't imagine the choreographers (especially one like JP--who's been around since God was a child) wanting to recycle their material in the age of YouTube and Fierceboard.

Exactly. People automatically think that Jamie is just lazy and reusing his material, but you never know if that team asked for that dance or stunt. They are high school teams that will never compete against the original team that used the dance and in GA they don't even leave the state. I don't think Jamie would give two high school teams the same dance in the same year so they aren't going to show up to State and have the same dance.

As the coach/gym owner/team member of the team that originally had the dance/pyramid that gets reused, I would be beyond angry. I would also never use that choreographer again, and wouldn't think twice about offering my honest opinion should another coach/owner ask me for choreographer recommendations.

As the coach/gym owner/team member of the team that originally had the dance/pyramid that gets reused, I would be beyond angry. I would also never use that choreographer again, and wouldn't think twice about offering my honest opinion should another coach/owner ask me for choreographer recommendations.

That gym doesn't own that dance though. Much like with the music, the gym doesn't own the work. The choeographer and the artists own them. I do understand though how it would upset a gym, but the choeographer is just going to say that it is their work to reuse if they choose to.

Which to me, is silly. Because then you're always gonna get compared, people will bash you on YouTube saying you 'stole' the dance, 'you're not as good', 'do you really suck at choreo that you can't even come up with your own original stuff'..etc. Especially when it's REALLY well known. I mean, if it just happens to be a good dance from Podunk Allstars and you're a HS in Mass where NOBODY would ever make the connection..I still don't like it, but it's not a well-known dance. Why would you WANT to be 'that team?'

Back