All-Star Does Your Team Do Separate Conditioning Class?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

crazycheermom

Cheer Parent
Jan 19, 2011
For instance, maybe you have 2 team practices, one tumble class, but then do you do a separate conditioning class?

in the summer we have conditioning classes. every tuesday, wednesday, and thursday. It is required that you atleast attended 10 throughout the summer.

Saturday is technically our condition day, but we end up doing routine stuff a majority of the time. We condition during the weekdays at the start and end of practice.

My team only practices on weekends and we can't really add conditioning days because we all live all over california, some drive up to 6/7 hours. But during the summer we do condition a lot. We would condition, tumble/jump, stunt, and then condition again, ending the practice with a ripple of 20 standing fulls in a row. As far as now we mainly focus on the routine but do do some conditioning at the beginning.

My gym is very lucky in that we have our own personal trainer. He has his own room and we can go in there and condition and work out. Its pretty intense! All of our injured athletes are required to work out with him while at practice.

Conditioning is an important part of All Star cheer, there is no doubt about that. However, I think that proper conditioning should be something that the girls/boys work on continuously--not just at cheer practice!! The ones that are serious about conditioning will do this on their own, realistically most won't!! And the ones that don't take it seriously are pretty visible during conditioning sessions!! They kind of half @$$ it the whole time, and really get nothing from it!! So how much time should an entire team devote to conditioning when only 1/3 of the team is actually giving somekind of real effort?? I always had problems with this--some kids just don't really care that much to take care of their bodies??

not during the season...i don't think anyone would go ;)

My team only practices on weekends and we can't really add conditioning days because we all live all over california, some drive up to 6/7 hours. But during the summer we do condition a lot. We would condition, tumble/jump, stunt, and then condition again, ending the practice with a ripple of 20 standing fulls in a row. As far as now we mainly focus on the routine but do do some conditioning at the beginning.

My gym is very lucky in that we have our own personal trainer. He has his own room and we can go in there and condition and work out. Its pretty intense! All of our injured athletes are required to work out with him while at practice.

Do you mind if I ask what gym? 7 Hours!! Roundtrip or each way?!

I laugh while reading this..when I did comp gymnastics (and I'm talking YMCA comp..not even wannabe-Olympics stuff), we conditioned for an HOUR at the end of our practice (practice was 3 hrs), every practice, 2-3x a week. We did at least 3 different leg drills, 3 arm drills, 8 minutes of abs, and then stretching. Legs might be 20 step-ups on tumble trak each leg, toe raises 4 ways on beam, arms were pushups, dips, beam jumps..never mind during practices before big comps we had to do push ups every time someone fell off beam. I remember one practice I had to do 500 pushups..not a good day. But we were fit as all heck..

At my gym the last 10-15 minutes of every practice we conditioning which consists of suicides running around two floors. Sometimes we run in place do crunches, pushes, and we do elbow elbow hand hand in push up position it depends. Also when we drop a stunt we have to condition or run outside.

we don't have a seperate conditioning class. my team conditions the last 20-15 minutes of our practice. We also condition a bit in the warm-ups but not too much to make you tired, just engage your muscles

Do you mind if I ask what gym? 7 Hours!! Roundtrip or each way?!

CheerForce in San Diego California. They live up north and drive down, I mean people drive across their state all the time for cheer. Except cali is one loooonnnnggg state lol. :p

One of our gym owners is a fitness instructor so she takes conditioning very seriously. We practice Monday, Wednesday and Friday for two hours each day and we can come in to tumble for an hour before each of those.

When practices first started, we did a lot more conditioning than we do now. We would condition for a solid hour of our practice, and then just practice for an hour which I didn't like. I feel like to get our team skills up and keep them up, we need that whole two hours for actual practice. But for the last couple weeks we've been practice an hour and a half and only conditioning a half hour because we have choreography in 2 weeks. Apparently we condition way more than most gyms haha

Back