All-Star Doing It All Over

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Cheer Dad

Cheer Parent
Dec 15, 2009
For those that have been in cheer for a while and have seen all the drama, emotional and physical toll on our kids, heartache etc...if you knew then what you know now would you still have allowed your kids to get into all-star cheer?

If that was what they wanted to do.....

...but I would cry if I had to turn back the clock and start at the starting gate again. I think I've determined all ages/levels have their share of voracious Susie Mom parents (pretty sure I was one in the mini 2 years)...but the younger cheer parents just haven't quite mastered the science of being on the down low about it. At least now I can stick my head in the sand..or in a nice martini...and ignore/avoid it. :D

I would and I think my daughter would. Not sure about @cheer2win
I joked with some friends I'll teach my grandkids to play video games all day but truth is for all the joy and heartache it has brought cp and the rest of the family if it is what my kids wanted I would do it again. Just wish I had known some great cheer parents to hook up with at the beginning to help me in the early years.

I do have reservations regarding the physical toll it has taken on cp.

I've essentially made the cheer-cisions for my family.

If I could do it over, that day my friend/cheer gym owner asked if my sister could fill in on her senior team I would have made my mother say no

That way my sister wouldn't have done 4 years if all stars and my 8 yr old niece wouldn't be in it now.

High school sideline/competitive will forever be my favorite and it's what my family has enjoyed the most for the last....16 years. All star stresses us all out...the whole family. Expense. Travel. No thanks.

I can't wait until my niece comes out next year and focuses on tumbling until middle school.

Sometimes with the drama it feels like you are beating your head against a wall. The same thing always seems to rear its ugly head over and over again. It would be a difficult decision if I knew everything I know today after 9 years - or I may have made some choices differently.

I've been out of allstar cheer for 4 years now and if I could I would do it all over again and again and again. Although it was extremely stressful and time consuming, it was what I loved to do and if I could relive those days I absolutely would. Granted, I don't know what it is like being a parent in the allstar world, but I know my mom says she misses going to competitions too. I look forward to the day I have a little nugget running around that hopefully wants to cheer!

My daughter loves it. I do worry about what the future may hold in terms of long term physical effects (similar to what they are finding now with all these older football and baseball players and concussions)

I know the perspective of a parent looking at their child is different than that of an athlete... But having been (physically, not mentally) out of the sport for 6 years, I have mixed feelings. Some of the greatest times of my life were cheerleading, and I would go back and relive those moments in a heartbeat. But to "start over" and do it all again now? I don't think so. I'm not sure I like the direction the industry is going currently, and I don't think I would ever cheer if I I were magically 12 years old again today. I think I would just stick to gymnastics or if there were a youth version of A&T (I wish) I'd do that. I'm not into the who can outdo who in wearing the skimpiest uniform, having the biggest hair, who has the most rhinestones/biggest bows etc etc etc. it's not for me. It's not the sport i I fell in love with. And while the industry has made some tremendous positive leaps, the negatives seem to be growing, too.

ETA my joints are also destroyed for life. I can't even imagine getting out of bed in 20/30 years if I'm this bad at 23. That's one more negative.

I know the perspective of a parent looking at their child is different than that of an athlete... But having been (physically, not mentally) out of the sport for 6 years, I have mixed feelings. Some of the greatest times of my life were cheerleading, and I would go back and relive those moments in a heartbeat. But to "start over" and do it all again now? I don't think so. I'm not sure I like the direction the industry is going currently, and I don't think I would ever cheer if I I were magically 12 years old again today. I think I would just stick to gymnastics or if there were a youth version of A&T (I wish) I'd do that. I'm not into the who can outdo who in wearing the skimpiest uniform, having the biggest hair, who has the most rhinestones/biggest bows etc etc etc. it's not for me. It's not the sport i I fell in love with. And while the industry has made some tremendous positive leaps, the negatives seem to be growing, too.

ETA my joints are also destroyed for life. I can't even imagine getting out of bed in 20/30 years if I'm this bad at 23. That's one more negative.
Ditto this. All of it. The all stars I grew up in is not the all stars that's out there now. I'm really curious to see how this industry continues to evolve over the next 5-10 years because at this point, I'm not sure if I'd start my future kids in this sport, which is kind of upsetting because some of my favorite memories are revolved around cheer.

if i would have known this back then, i would have never pushed the boundaries like i did when i did allstars. when i got hurt i would magically heal after a few months/weeks and be right back to pounding on the already destroyed muscles, bones, etc. at that time i didnt care, i just loved the sport to much. but at 25, i feel twice as old cause certain muscles and joints are probably done for. i always tell people i feel like i have the knees of an 80 year old, cause of the damage i probably have done to them.

I know this thread is geared towards parents...

As much as I loved cheer, I don't think I'd go back and "redo" my experience. Did I accomplish everything I ever wanted to as a cheerleader? Hell no. (Am I allowed to say that here?) But I certainly gained a lot from my experiences and I don't know if I'd learn those life lessons any other way. For that, I am completely grateful.

If I ever have kids (which I don't ever want, so that's a big if) and they want to do all stars, I think I've been around long enough to know how to make it worth my child's time and my time. To be completely honest, I would really try to start them off at Rays. Of course that's just me dreaming since I live in NY, but Rays has everything I've ever wanted from a gym. They're beyond the classiest gym out there. They are everything I love about cheer. The staff is really centered around the kids and the teams. The parents seem perfect, they just let the coaches do whatever they want because they trust them. They don't brag or parade around and flaunt their successes. They make a name for themselves by working hard and winning. They have beautiful uniforms that still make their athletes look like actual athletes. They are humble people and they don't get into pointless cheer drama. And the one thing I absolutely hate about cheer now is the stupid concept of cheerlebrity which is not something Rays deals with. Those kids and staff are there to cheer and have fun and win. Rays is the epitome of all star cheerleading. Rays are a class act. I can not begin to describe how much respect I have for that program and their families. That is an environment I would love my child to grow up in.

So if I ever decide to let my child cheer, I will make sure they go into the right environment.

Back