Double Down Vs. Chest Double

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 7, 2012
We've just started to practice double downs from chest with our girls. The straight cradles seems ok - it looks like the flyer has a strong body position in the air and its really high. But when we add the twist, the flyer ends up turning 1/4 and lands with the side to the audience (like a kick double). She gets one and a half twists before the landing. Either that or she doubles out the stunts. The twist itself isn't very good looking either.. We've controlled all the bases, its just the flyer who seems stressed with the twisting..

We've been trying to fix this by letting the flyer practice some things on the floor;
- jumping twists
- twist on trampoline, landing on their backs

Our goal is to get doubledowns from scale. We've been trying that with one of our flyers but it didn't work very well either.. she twisted like 1/2, and landed on her stomach.. so we decided to take a step back and get our doubles from chest.. or is that how you guys did it?

So my questions for you guys:
- Do any of you have experience with the problems we have? How did you fix it?!
- Whats your experience with doubles från chest beeing like the step before twisting from one leg? Does it work?
- Do you have any preliminary exercise for your doubles, boath one and two legs?

Tnx :help:

If she is 1/4 turning she is most likely dropping a shoulder or not twisting in her center. She is rolling over in the air. If that makes sense.

She needs to ride the pops. Keep her center hollow and not drop her chest. I try to tell some flyers to double up. Not down. The twist should happen at the top. Its not a corkscrew to try to wipe out the bases.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

If she is 1/4 turning she is most likely dropping a shoulder or not twisting in her center. She is rolling over in the air. If that makes sense.

She needs to ride the pops. Keep her center hollow and not drop her chest. I try to tell some flyers to double up. Not down. The twist should happen at the top. Its not a corkscrew to try to wipe out the bases.

Great, I'll tell her that!! Do you find it working with your double downs from arab/scale aswell?

One tip I also use is telling the flyer to square to the back before they wrap in for their doubles.

With scales and arabesques. have your flyer drive their legs backwards instead of bringing them together. This will help with the momentum. You can practice that on the ground. Flyer hits skill. Grab her foot amid phish it behind her.

Flyers do that extra 1/4 when they twist to early off the pop... Basically your flyer is centering herself over her left leg when initiating the twist, as the rest of her body folds over it eventuates into and extra 1/4

Perhaps ask your flyer to imagine pulling her left leg behind as opposed to strongly focusing on the wrap.

she could be twisting half of her body at a time. like twisting her shoulders and leaving her hips behind. have her practice twisting all at once. it makes the twist faster and a lot stronger out of one leg stunts.

Back