Double Full And Standing Full

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 2, 2011
Im a coach and have a 10 yr old working on these 2 skills and was wondering if anyone had any drills or tips. She mskes standing full around but never sets good. Double she has a good twist but same doesnt always set so will do 1 1/2 or 1 3/4. Any suggestions??

If she was my athlete, I would stop pushing the double for a few weeks and go back and fix the set of her full. If she sets properly, a double will be way easier to complete... and safer.

Fixing the standing fulls are a little less black and white. Unlike most other skills, there is still a lot of debate among coaches about what the best way to teach a standing full is. I know of at least two radically different ways people teach them. One is to teach it is using an early phase twist. This involves setting slighly higher with the hip and shoulder opposite of the twisting direction (right twisters would let higher with left side, left twisters with right.)

The other is trying to replicate the late phase twist of a twisting layout, but in a "puck" or "open tuck" position.

There is a third way of teaching standing fulls that I have seen other great coaches use. They teach a barrel roll styled standing full. I seen them have a lot of success with teaching this way. But i'm not familiar enough with the drills to comment on them. The drills they use resemble the early phase twist i described first.

Finally, I do have a video of Victor, the owner of Top Gun, presenting about standing fulls to the amazing staff at Woodward from this past summer. He actually has switched his style of teaching standing fulls a few times, and mentioned that he has had the most success with the first style i mentioned. If you send me an email, i'd be happy to send you the video. [email protected] is my email address =)

If she was my athlete, I would stop pushing the double for a few weeks and go back and fix the set of her full. If she sets properly, a double will be way easier to complete... and safer.

Fixing the standing fulls are a little less black and white. Unlike most other skills, there is still a lot of debate among coaches about what the best way to teach a standing full is. I know of at least two radically different ways people teach them. One is to teach it is using an early phase twist. This involves setting slighly higher with the hip and shoulder opposite of the twisting direction (right twisters would let higher with left side, left twisters with right.)

The other is trying to replicate the late phase twist of a twisting layout, but in a "puck" or "open tuck" position.

There is a third way of teaching standing fulls that I have seen other great coaches use. They teach a barrel roll styled standing full. I seen them have a lot of success with teaching this way. But i'm not familiar enough with the drills to comment on them. The drills they use resemble the early phase twist i described first.

Finally, I do have a video of Victor, the owner of Top Gun, presenting about standing fulls to the amazing staff at Woodward from this past summer. He actually has switched his style of teaching standing fulls a few times, and mentioned that he has had the most success with the first style i mentioned. If you send me an email, i'd be happy to send you the video. [email protected] is my email address =)

Do you think you could email me that video too?:rolleyes:
[email protected]

Back