Double Teaming Or Staying On 1 Squad

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 10, 2014
What are your thoughts on cheerleaders double teaming? I have a 7 year old that may have this opportunity this year but I am not sure how that will go.

I think it's fine depending on the circumstances. But overall it is going to be a lot of commitment and you want to make sure your child does not get burnt out by the end of the season!

My former cp did two teams at ages 9 and 10, and then one team a season until she left cheer at 15. Current cp will be 14 this summer and this past season was the first time I let her do two teams. I think it depends entirely on what you feel your child can handle and what you as a family decide you can handle, because remember it also means getting your cp to the gym more times per week and having longer competition days. Cp loved it and plans on doing it again this coming season.

Make sure her skill level is equal. I know a girl on a level 2 team and a level 3 team, and it works good for her. Girls on a level 5 team and a level 1 team annoy me personally. Since she is 7 make sure she can also handle the stress :)

It really depends on your child. Personally, I'm not a fan of cross-competing because it prevents me from focusing my energy on one team but if she wants to do it and you think she can handle the stress, then go for it :)

I have double teamed for the past two years. Pros:more time in the gym. Cons: possibly more traveling, less time for school, in the gym always.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

To consider:

1. Time. Example: Is being on 2 teams going to have her out of school 2 Fridays in a row? Will she be getting home super late during the week? She's in first grade so it's important that she is getting rest.

2. Skills. Is she close to being level appropriate for her crossover teams? It can be really stressful to be the kid on a team who is "chasing" skills that kids all already have.

3. Maturity. When a crossover goes to a different age group in the grid, like your kid is Y and is crossing to a J team, consider if she can mentally handle competing with older kids. It is not a big deal in your case, but it's something think about if you're a mom considering allowing your kid to crossover to Seniors.

My one child does (and always has done) one team, however, her younger sister has always done 2 teams. It really depends on the child (and you). This year the little one was on J4 and Y2 and did Y5 individuals, but cheer is all she does... ever, there is very little time left for anything else. Think carefully how much you want to commit to and how much your daughter can handle as you are making a commitment to a team and if it doesn't work out, it hurts the whole team, not just your family! Good luck!!

Make sure her skill level is equal. I know a girl on a level 2 team and a level 3 team, and it works good for her. Girls on a level 5 team and a level 1 team annoy me personally. Since she is 7 make sure she can also handle the stress :)
A Freaking MEN!!!!! It annoys me too.

My CP double teamed for the past 6 season. Either cheer/cheer or cheer/dance. In the past it always worked out practices where different days. This past season she wasn't so lucky both teams practiced same days back to back. She didn't get a break in between teams and made for long 4+ hours twice a week. Which meant lots of griping from CP about going to practice. For her it was same level Jr & Sr. This season she will not be double teaming. For us the burn out came mostly because of the practices days/times.

we have a few athletes on 4 or 5 teams (cheer and DANCE teams so it is not illegal) and almost everybody is a crossover. i don't think it is a problem at all, i will never understand why people hate double teaming.

If you do it this season, are you ready to commit for the rest of her cheering to doing two teams if that is what she prefers to do? I'd consider the immediate burnout and the long-term commitment you're making.

If you do it this season, are you ready to commit for the rest of her cheering to doing two teams if that is what she prefers to do? I'd consider the immediate burnout and the long-term commitment you're making.
Why would it have to be a long-term committment to double teaming? I know our athletes are asked each year if they would like to be on more than one team prior to tryouts. If they say no, then they are just put on one.

we have a few athletes on 4 or 5 teams (cheer and DANCE teams so it is not illegal) and almost everybody is a crossover. i don't think it is a problem at all, i will never understand why people hate double teaming.

This is my niece. She is Level 4 in cheer and on ONE cheer team.

However, she is on a jazz, hip hop, and pom dance team.

Sidenote: Teaming in dance is on a whole new level.

You could (in one weekend) participate in:

Hip Hop team routine
Pom team routine
Jazz team routine
Jazz solo
Jazz trio
pom solo

And those are 6 different routines/sets of choreography.

This is my niece. She is Level 4 in cheer and on ONE cheer team.

However, she is on a jazz, hip hop, and pom dance team.

Sidenote: Teaming in dance is on a whole new level.

You could (in one weekend) participate in:

Hip Hop team routine
Pom team routine
Jazz team routine
Jazz solo
Jazz trio
pom solo

And those are 6 different routines/sets of choreography.

My dancer friends that I had in high school would do anywhere from 9-17 different numbers. It was absurd. They lived in the studio.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Back