Double Teaming Or Staying On 1 Squad

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Both of mine has double teamed before however I always stressed the importance of giving 110% to both teams and not just what they consider their " main" team. We had an older girl last year tell my then 9 yr old and others that she was saving her energy for " her" team. this devestated them and created so much negativity they just didnt understsnd why she wouldn't do her best. It's hard to create a teamwork environment if some don't really consider themselves a part of that team.

Perhaps double-teaming could be helpful for an athlete that wants to maximize and perfect their skills in order to move up a level.

Both of mine has double teamed before however I always stressed the importance of giving 110% to both teams and not just what they consider their " main" team. We had an older girl last year tell my then 9 yr old and others that she was saving her energy for " her" team. this devestated them and created so much negativity they just didnt understsnd why she wouldn't do her best. It's hard to create a teamwork environment if some don't really consider themselves a part of that team.
That's the fault of the coach. The athlete with the negative attitude on the crossover team should either be spoken to and given a warning or removed from the second team. Negative attitudes about doing your second team "a favor" by helping out bring an entire team down like you said. In cp's gym, double teaming is optional and if you only wish to do one team you are placed on your age appropriate team.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

We have a couple little ones that have done this in the past, for example a Mini 2 to a Youth 3, Mini 1 to Youth 2 etc. The hardest part I notice isn't the extra gym time but the competitions, which can be very taxing especially if they teams are in the same level like a Mini 2 to Youth 2 situation. You have the child performing with the first team and literally running off stage back to warm ups, chugging some water or Gatorade and going right back in. It can be exhausting.

In level 2 to 3 crossing you often run into a situation where the levels 1 and 2 teams compete in the morning, have awards and then the level 3s compete later at night, meaning you'll be in a convention center for a loooong time. Some kids don't handle this well, especially when friends from team one get to go to the beach or the pool in the afternoon and they have to stay. You also run into awards overlapping with warm ups, so you might have to miss your first team's awards to warm up with the second.

These are just a few things I notice kids struggling with the most

Completely agree :) However I do think it needs to start at home but if it doesn't it should've been stopped at the gym.

eerBank, post: 911035, member: 17546"]That's the fault of the coach. The athlete with the negative attitude on the crossover team should either be spoken to and given a warning or removed from the second team. Negative attitudes about doing your second team "a favor" by helping out bring an entire team down like you said. In cp's gym, double teaming is optional and if you only wish to do one team you are placed on your age appropriate team.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android[/QUOTE]
Completrly

We have a couple little ones that have done this in the past, for example a Mini 2 to a Youth 3, Mini 1 to Youth 2 etc. The hardest part I notice isn't the extra gym time but the competitions, which can be very taxing especially if they teams are in the same level like a Mini 2 to Youth 2 situation. You have the child performing with the first team and literally running off stage back to warm ups, chugging some water or Gatorade and going right back in. It can be exhausting.

In level 2 to 3 crossing you often run into a situation where the levels 1 and 2 teams compete in the morning, have awards and then the level 3s compete later at night, meaning you'll be in a convention center for a loooong time. Some kids don't handle this well, especially when friends from team one get to go to the beach or the pool in the afternoon and they have to stay. You also run into awards overlapping with warm ups, so you might have to miss your first team's awards to warm up with the second.

These are just a few things I notice kids struggling with the most
So true - and not just the little ones! Cp was on a jr 3 and a sr 4 this past season. We had several competitions where she competed in the morning with one team and had awards by midday, and then did not compete again until early evening and awards ran past 11 pm for her second team. There are definitely a lot of things to take into consideration aside from just additional time in the gym before deciding to do more than one team.

@cxcheermom I have found that while the initial attitude of crossovers as "helpers" or with one team being more important than the other starts in the gym by it's policies on crossovers, if anything it is perpetuated at home rather than stopped. SM would much rather say that Susie is on youth 2 and helping with minis than say that her main team is mini level 1.

Back