All-Star Double Ups?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

yesucan

Cheer Parent
Dec 12, 2010
Do fake double ups (the ones where the bases do a half turn and sometimes more while they are dipping) count the same as true double ups? I've been seeing all these "double up" videos that are more like one and a quarter but because the flyers shoulders are facing forward to start, they call them double ups...

I'm pretty sure it's judged by how many times the flyer's hips go around. So, regardless of whether the flyer is doing all the spinning or if the bases also rotate her, if her hips go around twice it's a double up.

Rules Clarification (Level 5):
  1. Twisting mounts and transitions are allowed up to 2 1/4 twisting rotations by the top person in relation to the performing surface.
    Clarification: A twist performed with an additional turn by the bases performed in the same skill set, would be illegal if the resulting cumulative rotation of the top person exceeds 2 rotations. The safety judge will use the hips of the top person to determine the amount of total rotation a top person performs in a skill set. Once a stunt is hit (i.e. prep) and the athletes show a definite and clear stop, they may continue to walk the stunt in additional rotation.

Rules Clarification (Level 5):
  1. Twisting mounts and transitions are allowed up to 2 1/4 twisting rotations by the top person in relation to the performing surface.
    Clarification: A twist performed with an additional turn by the bases performed in the same skill set, would be illegal if the resulting cumulative rotation of the top person exceeds 2 rotations. The safety judge will use the hips of the top person to determine the amount of total rotation a top person performs in a skill set. Once a stunt is hit (i.e. prep) and the athletes show a definite and clear stop, they may continue to walk the stunt in additional rotation.
Thank you... should have looked there first lol. It seems crazy to me that bases turning while dipping (before there is any upward movement of the flyer) is worth the same as double ups performed with 2 spins while the flyer is on the process of standing up. Going by that rule, as long as the bases are dipping, the bases can do one and a half spins with the flyer doing a half up at the end and get credit for a double up lol

Thank you... should have looked there first lol. It seems crazy to me that bases turning while dipping (before there is any upward movement of the flyer) is worth the same as double ups performed with 2 spins while the flyer is on the process of standing up. Going by that rule, as long as the bases are dipping, the bases can do one and a half spins with the flyer doing a half up at the end and get credit for a double up lol

Well, in the scenario, I don't think it would be the same, if the flyer is still in retake/smoosh/etc. and the bases just are spinning like a carousel :D and do a half up at the end...

Well, in the scenario, I don't think it would be the same, if the flyer is still in retake/smoosh/etc. and the bases just are spinning like a carousel :D and do a half up at the end...
I agree. But. .. my point is that I have seen "double ups" videos posted that the bases are spinning 3/4 while squishing (or dipping, whatever it's called), before there is any upward motion and calling it double ups. I was curious if they got the same difficulty rating as true double ups.

There's really no way of doing a "true" double up without the bases moving at all unless it is fully released, typically it's a 1 1/2 up with a 1/2 turn. I get what you're saying though in the groups spinning before even doing the stunt. With everything else being equal, I would like to think it would score lower since the flyers hip's don't actually rotate 2 times during the actual stunt, but it probably doesn't.

I agree. But. .. my point is that I have seen "double ups" videos posted that the bases are spinning 3/4 while squishing (or dipping, whatever it's called), before there is any upward motion and calling it double ups. I was curious if they got the same difficulty rating as true double ups.
From a legality standpoint, they are the same (they look at the flyer's hips). Judges are not required to SCORE them the same in difficulty. These are two separate issues.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Just curious what everyone else thought. :) I'm seeing the bases turning more and more during the sponge and I just love the way they look when everyone starts spinning together instead of 3/4 spin in sponge then flyer stands and finishes.

Last edited:
Just curious what everyone else thought. :) I'm seeing the bases turning more and more during the sponge and I just love the way they look when everyone starts spinning together instead of 3/4 spin in sponge then flyer stands and finishes.

If the bases are turning enough to change the position of the flyer's hips before take off, chances are it would not be considered a double up. My guess is that legality judges would look at the hip placement at the moment that the bases' momentum starts traveling up, and not where the flyer's hips were when they jumped into squish/sponge, but Idk, it doesn't clarify on timing in the rules.

I'm pretty sure it is said somewhere that the bottom of the dip is where they start counting rotations, so if the bases dip and turn quite a lot in that dip, you may only get credit for a one and a half up.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Like how Rocky Point HS did full ups and then had the bases spin 1 full rotation?

69fbbn.jpg

It's important to remember they do a one-leg grip on full ups, allowing the top girl's hips to go "ahead" of the bases. The bases eventually "catch up" after.

Not sure if it would work with a two-legged load in, like most all star teams do.

Last edited:
Back