All-Star Dream Deferred???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Precisely what my cp14 described as her leading issue last season. She doesn't have a double. Never even worked on one. Her only combo through for running tumbling is a front walkover through to full and that actually doesn't count as a combo. She has a beautiful two to full but isn't confident enough right now to let the one finger spot step away from her (she'll get there by competition season at the rate her confidence is increasing).

She described herself as "dead weight" to both her worlds and J5 team last year and when she decided to return was adamant she go to either S4 (which while she's be comfortable right now she's be bored in a month) or R5 because she's highly conscientious of the scoresheet and she doesn't want to be that kid who holds everyone else back this year.

I did try to balance that discussion with her by saying....but you're a ridiculously strong stunter (and she is, that's her forte) which is more than half of the scoresheet. But she won't hear of it. If she can't contribute in all things she thinks she's dead weight. And I've lived through a season with that stress...never again.

Besides....in 8 years we've never been on a team where EVERY kid has all the skills for a team. I just sat there with my jaw on the floor in her R5 first practice! This is going to be a fun year for her and I'm so glad for that!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

is your cp14 and cp16 still with cheer extreme?

Maybe this being my first season of cheer I dont see be all and end all of being on a premier level 5 team or even level 5 as long as the person is happy at their level that all that matters. Personally I want to be an allround level 3/4 athlete and be able to stunt level 5 this is going to take a while and im willing to work hard and take my time. If i stay on level 2 for a couple more years so be it aslong as I get on with my team I dont mind
This will be cp's 9th season of all-stars. She will be 14 this summer and started off on a Mini 1. Her progress has been steady over the years and most importantly she still loves cheer.

It kind of bothers me that at some gyms (not naming any) that they put, say, 15 kids with doubles on worlds team A, and no kids with doubles on worlds team B, for example. Its like they're setting worlds team B up to not medal, and give worlds team A a better shot a medaling at worlds. It kind of bothers me, its obviously saying that worlds team A is the better team to be on when really they should be making the teams pretty even? What if your kid makes team B and gets really disappointed cause they aren't on A and know they probably won't have as good of a chance to medal?
Idk I've just seen this with multiple gyms and it kinda bothers me.
I can understand where you are coming from, but I would much rather see a gym put together the strongest Worlds team they can and go for Finals, and if they have enough level 5 kids for a second team then even better, as it gives more athletes the opportunity to get the experience. It gives the younger/less experienced kids a chance to compete at Worlds with less pressure and they will be even more competitive when they move up to the "A" team. It gives an athlete without a double who is aging out a chance to compete at Worlds who wouldn't otherwise be able to. I don't see it any differently than a high school having Varisty and JV teams.

This will be cp's 9th season of all-stars. She will be 14 this summer and started off on a Mini 1. Her progress has been steady over the years and most importantly she still loves cheer.

I started last year at 19 and dont regret it im just glad that open level 2 and senior with no age cap is a thing in the uk

I think the bigger gyms that put together multiple Worlds teams use that "B team" to get an athlete ready for the "A Team". One of cp's friends was on Swoosh last season. A large part of that team was kids with no Worlds experience, so they added some seasoned veterans to lead them and they had a good showing. This year her friend is on Panthers and feels comfortable (and confident) that she will not get overwhelmed on the Worlds mat.
So I don't think it's always about front loading one team and short changing another. Sometimes it's about making sure your team that has a legacy has the most experienced, solid kids while getting another group ready for the next year.

My understanding, you need to be 13 to be on any Worlds team at WC... I guess some exceptions have been made in the past, when the child is close to 13 and someone on a Worlds team is injured... but I was told, WC really want their athletes to be on Jr teams to get their training before moving to the Worlds team...
I read on their site that seniors are ages 15 through 18. I like that, so that kids of similar ages are grouped together. Helps with team bonding

Back