OT Duffle Bags Vs. Backpacks: Which Is Better?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

Official OWECheer

Most likely to post anywhere
Jan 16, 2014
I'm sure the answers will differ based upon whether you do HS or all-star, but I'm curious. I prefer backpacks, but not every backpack has sufficient space for poms. What does everyone think?

My school team uses these jansport backpacks (our school name and "pep squad" are on the front pocket but my bows are covering it in this picture). They're actually pretty big and we never have any problems fitting what we need. Some girls put their poms in, but some like to carry them separately. I prefer these to duffel bags because I find them easier to carry and keep organized.

ETA: There's a large main pouch, slightly smaller one in front of that one, a small zippered pocket in the very front, another small zippered pocket on the top near the handle, and a water bottle pocket on the side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My school team uses these jansport backpacks (our school name and "pep squad" are on the front pocket but my bows are covering it in this picture). They're actually pretty big and we never have any problems fitting what we need. Some girls put their poms in, but some like to carry them separately. I prefer these to duffel bags because I find them easier to carry and keep organized.

ETA: There's a large main pouch, slightly smaller one in front of that one, a small zippered pocket in the very front, another small zippered pocket on the top near the handle, and a water bottle pocket on the side.

How much do you usually put into them?

And congrats for winning All-American!

For football games, I prefer the duffle bag. It gets cold here, so you never know how many layers you will need or if you'll need to take any layers off. Duffle bag provide for more room.

For basketball, I prefer backpack since all I need to bring to the game are my shoes and my skirt.

For competitions, I prefer backpack. Really only need to bring skirt and shoes. Maybe make up and snacks but that all should fit in the backpack

How much do you usually put into them?

And congrats for winning All-American!
It honestly depends on what I'm using it for. I tend to have a lot more in it during football season, because I'm bringing my warm ups, letterman jacket, team cardigan (someone always forgets a jacket so I bring all of mine in case I need to share), snacks, etc...For competitions I just keep water, warm ups, t-shirt, minimal amount of make up (I do everything major at home), and travel size hair products. I don't even use it for basketball season because there's not a enough room in the stands- if it doesn't fit in my jacket pocket, then I don't need it lol! And thank you!
ETA: only our song team uses poms, so I don't have to worry about those.

For football games, I prefer the duffle bag. It gets cold here, so you never know how many layers you will need or if you'll need to take any layers off. Duffle bag provide for more room.

For basketball, I prefer backpack since all I need to bring to the game are my shoes and my skirt.

For competitions, I prefer backpack. Really only need to bring skirt and shoes. Maybe make up and snacks but that all should fit in the backpack
Did you guys order both in high school?

I high school we just used backpacks, but it's slightly warmer in southeastern Wisconsin than it is up here in Green Bay so we didn't to bring as many layers for football games...also the football season ended in November (playoffs) where as now in college, we cheer all throughout January.

I never needed more than my backpack for competitions in high school.

I love backpacks. I was a pom-smoosher (I stuffed them wherever they kinda fit) and I really just ever carried small random things that I would need and stuffed my warmups in them for games. For competitions I brought my backpack but made my mom carry it because she always stuffed a bunch of snacks in there. I just thought backpacks were a lot easier for me to carry than a duffel bag because I'm a short person so no matter what the duffel bag hits my knees. We had them for middle school cheer and I hated them

I prefer a backpack, they're much easier to carry and don't get in the way. Walking through crowds with a duffle bag means you're constantly hitting people but that doesn't happen with backpacks. For school cheer I would bring my duffle to away games when it got cold so that I could bring a billion jackets and pairs of pants, but for home games and warmer games I would just bring my backpack. For allstar I bring my backpack for everything. I shove my poms wherever they fit :) they can be condensed to really small if need be!

When I did a local comp (it was nationals but in my home town) I used my backpack as I didnt have to worry about forgetting too much as I could always get it from a shop nearby or beg my parents to get it.

Since I live in wales now and have to travel to every comp at least 2-3 hours away I take a duffle with everything in but my physio wants me to get a backpack so im not weighed down one side

Duffle bags!!!!!! I used to bring extra spandex and extra shoes/socks/bows to comps/games, plus my knee brace, two big bottles of water, maybe my homework depending on the day, warmups, my makeup bag, icyhot/tape/prewrap/ibuprophen, and other stuff. I never could have fit all of that in a backpack.

For high school cheer, I always used a duffle. We were allowed to use whatever we wanted for games! We had matching drawstring bags for competitions because we didn't carry a lot with us. Just the basics. And for cheer competitions for all star, I always had a duffle but now that I'm a coach I carry a backpack.

Back