All-Star End Of Year Awards Banquet?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yea I don't understand why you would wait... our last comp is the beginning of April and the tryouts are the end of April.. then the new season starts in May... everyone pays tuition through April and is expected to come to practice still, after our last comp, but it's not necessarily mandatory.. those that are going to high school practice the stuff they will need, everyone else whatever they want to work on... it team dinner is in between the last comp and tryouts in the middle of April..

It would be really awkward if it was later than that

Well, The Summit is the reason our gym waited. Our banquet is tonight. Why Wednesday? Basically it's the only way to get it in before tryouts at most local gyms on Saturday. But...not all of our teams went to The Summit...there's been a month since the last regular comp. Summit parents were upset last year that the banquet was before the Summit, but I'm thinking, unfortunately, that it makes more sense to do it then.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Well, The Summit is the reason our gym waited. Our banquet is tonight. Why Wednesday? Basically it's the only way to get it in before tryouts at most local gyms on Saturday. But...not all of our teams went to The Summit...there's been a month since the last regular comp. Summit parents were upset last year that the banquet was before the Summit, but I'm thinking, unfortunately, that it makes more sense to do it then.

Banquets on a Wednesday night....

...clearly you are not residing in the South :)

Looking for input?…..
We would NOT go to the Banquet to try and pull others away from that gym! WE are so hurt by this and I want to know what other cheer people in other areas think of the situation. Is this a normal business practice? Should I have expected this?

I am so sorry this happened to you.
We are not attending our EOY banquet for other reasons and switching gyms. But last year tried out at another gym and debated making the switch that we are now making. I was up front about it (not like bragging but having honest and open conversations with current gym owner and cheer director in trying to make the right choice). The way the handled it all really is part of what kept me doing a schedule and drive that was not good for our family. I was also honest about this year as we are now making a switch (just can't do it any longer). I have only been treated with kindness and respect and given the same back. I have to tell you not only was this gym good about it but the gym we chose not to go to last year but will be going to for sure this year were also beyond kind - hugging my kids at comps and being just great when we went to tumble. By the way the 2 gyms involved, one owner was a coach at the other gym and I still remembered the owner of the one gym wishing this coach who would be starting the new gym in the same area all the best at our EOY banquet. CLASS! There may have been some bumps and stumbles at the old gym we are leaving (distance is not my only issue) but my overall opinion will always be of quality people who genuinely tried to do the right and kind things even if I disagreed with some of their choices and really cared about my family.
This situation that happened to you is how bad feelings and rivalries and nastiness between programs happens. Yes it sucks when this happens but the gym bites their own butt in the end by pulling stuff like this. Because this WILL be your story and this will be what you remember. And maybe the gym may not be right for you anymore but if someone else asks your honest opinion this may be what you share now based on your current experience. Whereas with my gym if people look at going there I can honestly say that they treated me and my kids as family and continue to do so. I can say it wasn't right for us anymore for various reasons but I would be also able to share positive things. Smart businesses and gyms do this 1) because it is the right thing for the kids they say they are doing this for 2) it is smart to keep previous customers who move on happy so they can share positives.

Banquets on a Wednesday night....

...clearly you are not residing in the South :)

Every banquet i've ever had has been on a weeknight - my assumption being that even the more casual reception type places are CRAZY expensive on a friday, saturday, or sunday. NJ also has one of the highest, if not the highest, average wedding costs. venues ain't cheap around here. which is why is surprises me when i see gyms having them at nice places on weekends, but then i remember most places are not nearly as expensive as up here. unless you guys pay a crazy overhead fee per person?

i wish mine had been on weekends, though. makes for a late school night.

Every banquet i've ever had has been on a weeknight - my assumption being that even the more casual reception type places are CRAZY expensive on a friday, saturday, or sunday. NJ also has one of the highest, if not the highest, average wedding costs. venues ain't cheap around here. which is why is surprises me when i see gyms having them at nice places on weekends, but then i remember most places are not nearly as expensive as up here. unless you guys pay a crazy overhead fee per person?

i wish mine had been on weekends, though. makes for a late school night.
Weeknights work just fine in the South...just not Wednesdays. At least not in the Charlotte area anyway. Remember this @BlueCat if you put things on a Wednesday you have people revolt. That's church night. #culturallessons

Weeknights work just fine in the South...just not Wednesdays. At least not in the Charlotte area anyway. Remember this @BlueCat if you put things on a Wednesday you have people revolt. That's church night. #culturallessons

really? like a regular mass, or something else? all of my CCD classes were always Wednesday, but never mass.

really? like a regular mass, or something else? all of my CCD classes were always Wednesday, but never mass.
Nope. Catholicism is few and far between in the South. Where Catholic Churches are on every corner in the north, it's southern baptist churches here. They have like groups and teen programs etc on Wednesday nights. I never, ever schedule evening stuff on Wednesday for school or a) it won't be well attended and/or b) folks will get salty about it. Our last gym didn't even have practices on Wednesday (just tumbling classes) to avoid the conflict

Nope. Catholicism is few and far between in the South. Where Catholic Churches are on every corner in the north, it's southern baptist churches here. They have like groups and teen programs etc on Wednesday nights. I never, ever schedule evening stuff on Wednesday for school or a) it won't be well attended and/or b) folks will get salty about it. Our last gym didn't even have practices on Wednesday (just tumbling classes) to avoid the conflict

Really? Born and bred here but we ever had to avoid Wednesdays. Maybe it's more of a Gaston County thing? As the area that we live in (South Charlotte/Mecklenburg County) has a huge Catholic/Presbyterian/Methodist/Jewish following. Presby kids typically have fellowship on Sunday nights and our Jewish friends are usually Tuesday nights. Now the Methodists may be Wednesdays. Not sure about Catholics. Haha!

Edited: Oh and Elevation! Not sure when their activities are scheduled. Maybe that's on Wednesdays?

I am in West Tennessee and having anything on a Wednesday night is akin to having it on a Sunday. And, there are services Sunday morning and Sunday evening. You are expected to attend all three.

I am Catholic though and we don't do that.

Baptist and Church of Christ are big here. There is also a sizable Methodist population. I grew up in a small town that was 95% Catholic. And, even after moving, I still had a core group of Catholic friends.

I will be sure to put you all on the prayer chain.;) My parents grew up in the Bible belt, Church of Christ....Sunday morning, Sunday evening, Wednesday night, every VBS, every Bible Bowl, every HS outing and every mission trip. And for anyone that can relate to that, then you will be able to relate to potlucks with green Jello. Green Jello with fruit cocktail, green Jello with cottage cheese, green Jello with pineapple, green Jello with Cool Whip.....I've never seen so many old ladies with green Jello in my entire life.

Learn something new everyday! I knew most (all?) Christian denominations are Sunday and Judaism is Saturday but didn't know Wednesday was a widespread thing. Though I was never allowed to do anything but church stuff on a Wednesday either for catechism classes which, at least in the area I lived, were all on Wednesdays if you did not attend catholic school.

I will be sure to put you all on the prayer chain.;) My parents grew up in the Bible belt, Church of Christ....Sunday morning, Sunday evening, Wednesday night, every VBS, every Bible Bowl, every HS outing and every mission trip. And for anyone that can relate to that, then you will be able to relate to potlucks with green Jello. Green Jello with fruit cocktail, green Jello with cottage cheese, green Jello with pineapple, green Jello with Cool Whip.....I've never seen so many old ladies with green Jello in my entire life.
The Mormons out West and the Lutherans up in the central North are known for this too!

So glad is isn't a Catholic thing. I am not fond of green jello. Oh, and you forgot the one with the shredded carrots! Why, just why!

Back