All-Star Espn Article About All-star Cheer Anyone? :)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I haven't either, AceDad. Neither has the editor who was in touch with me in the last few weeks contacted me.
Here you go Lymarie...

Dear Mr. Blaxill,

My name is ******* ******* and I am writing with regards to a recent article written by a Ms. Samantha Shapiro which appeared on ESPN insider online. The article is titled “They Grow Up So Fast”, and it is (or rather, was supposed to be) a behind the scenes look at the world of All-Star cheerleading. Now before you decide to pass this letter off as simply unimportant or without merit, I implore you to reconsider. I am the granddaughter of a late, but well respected, author, seasoned reporter, and editor of a large newspaper. Back in a time when women rarely worked outside of the home, much less held a coveted job such as editor, my grandmother broke boundaries. I can assure you nothing makes me happier or prouder to be a woman than when women like Ms. Shapiro hold a position typically reserved for a man. Being a female journalist for the likes of ESPN is quite an accomplishment. However, much to my grave disappointment, instead of reading a fantastic, well researched, objective, and well written article, I read an article that not only was so obviously biased, slanted to distort the truth, and full of “fluff”, but one that is also downright perverted and creepy! So please Mr. Blaxill, I am asking you as man of integrity within your profession to read this letter in its entirety and understand I am not trying to bash a woman because I am personally offended by her opinion, rather grossly disappointed with her integrity as a journalist.

I will be completely forthright with you and let you know that I do have a young daughter who is an All-Star cheerleader, although this is her first year and she is nowhere near the level of elite athleticism many of those talented girls posses. However, it was not the opinions of Ms. Shapiro which ignited me, rather her blatant disregard for the integrity of her profession. I realize that most people do not recognize “fluff” when they read it. However, it was painfully obvious to me from the get go that Ms. Shapiro was relying on overly animated descriptions in an attempt to compensate for the lack of actual depth in her writing. Until this article, I had no prior personal knowledge of Lymarie Jackson, her daughter, or Haylie Blakely. I was struck by the obvious slant right off the bat, but continued to read the article. In addition to the bias, I also noticed little passive aggressive quips carefully woven into a handful of legitimate facts regarding the sport. This part for example: “Getting Isabella's bangs to stand up poses quite a structural challenge, so much so that at the last competition, Jennifer had simply asked Kevin, a CEA coach whose boyfriend is a hairdresser, to do the girl's hair.” Mr. Blaxill, could you please explain to me why slyly disclosing the sexual orientation of the only male coach mentioned in the article was necessary to the piece (other than to perpetuate the “gay male cheerleader” stereotype)? It disturbs me on so many levels that I even find it necessary to say so, but in fact, most male coaches I’ve come across are heterosexual. Playing into the negative gay stereotype in cheerleading detracts from the outstanding male athletes and coaches revered in the sport. Why is anyone’s sexual orientation a legitimate topic of discussion in a sporting article for the most widely known name in sports reporting? This is just one of the many examples to which I am referring.

Upon further investigation, I have also come to learn that my suspicions regarding the validity of Ms. Shapiro’s “facts” are true. I happened upon this article thanks to a link in popular forum for All-Star cheerleading. Yesterday, Lymarie Jackson posted a detailed reply regarding the article written by Ms. Shapiro. Between that and now personal communication with Ms. Jackson, I have learned that not only did Ms. Shapiro grossly exaggerate, distort, and take many things out of context for the purpose of slanting her article, but she also downright lied about a couple of facts. I have Ms. Jackson’s permission to discuss those things in this letter. From Ms. Shapiro’s personal description of Ms. Jackson in both appearance (she barely wears makeup unlike described) and attitude (she does not “shriek”), to her mention of Haylie’s “naked doll” and her mother’s eye rolling, almost every description from Ms. Shapiro’s article regarding the family she followed, to the staff’s coaching, were either outright lies or distorted to put the spin on the article I believe was Ms. Shapiro’s intention from the beginning. For instance, she insinuated Ms. Jackson wanted an athlete to disregard her doctor’s orders against tumbling that week. Sir, why, in any sport, would it make sense to force an injured athlete to perform at practice when the end result is costly? The goal is to be healthy and injury free for a competition. I can almost assure you Jimbo Fisher didn’t force unnecessary practice upon Christian Ponder prior to their bowl game against South Carolina this past winter. Ms. Shapiro also distorted the reasoning behind a coaching decision as evidenced in this portion of the article “Haylie can't find her groove, and Jackson moves her to the back of the group for the tumbling portion, so she's less visible if she freezes. Haylie's face crumples as she walks to her new spot”. According to Ms. Shapiro, Ms. Jackson moved Haylie to the second row, (not the last row as she reported) and Ms. Shapiro failed to mention the talk Ms. Jackson had with Haylie explaining why she was moved (which was not to “hide her”, but to help alleviate some of the pressure).

Mr. Blaxill, while I certainly appreciate some of Ms. Shapiro’s attempts to shed some positive light in the direction of All-Star cheerleading, I do not honestly believe that anyone who reads her article will get the impression that All-Star cheerleading is a legitimate athletic sport. I suspect that the “Toddlers and Tiara” vibe, the unnecessary passive aggressive jabs, and the yet to be mentioned sexual perversion, will leave the readers with a bad taste in their mouth. Ms. Shapiro is definitely entitled to her opinions and she is also quite entitled to share them. I am in no means trying to take that away from her. I can also understand from an outsider’s perspective, how some things in the All-Star world seem unusual and strange. However, from a journalistic standpoint, Ms. Shapiro at the very least mislead the staff and family at CEA into thinking they were contributing to a legitimate, honest to goodness, real article about All-Star cheerleading from an athletic perspective. They feel deceived and mislead, rightfully so. Don’t get me wrong, no one was expecting she wasn’t going to discuss things like the uniforms and makeup. We aren’t strangers to the opposition regarding certain aspects of our sport. What we did expect, was a fair, honest, and accurate portrayal of the sport. I have expressed my discontent so far regarding everything about Ms. Shapiro’s article except one. It is by far the most important one though, and the main reason for this letter in the first place.

More disturbing than anything else about the article is the downright perverted manner in which Ms. Shapiro chose to portray Haylie. There, in the first sentence of the second paragraph, lie Ms. Shapiro’s words so disturbing, I’m still in shock as to why the article was allowed to be posted all, much less remain there. “Haylie is dressed in the Glitter Stars' practice uniform: a teal, sequined bow in her light brown hair, a teal, glitter half-top that buckles over her flat chest and black cheerleading shorts”. It struck me from the very beginning and I am frankly shocked and disgusted that anyone would choose to use this description of a 7 year old girl! Aside from her commenting on her chest, she fails to note that the article of clothing is actually a sports bra. Are you telling me a sports reporter doesn’t know what a sports bra looks like? I shudder to think what my personal reaction would have been had that been my daughter. Shortly following is another unnecessary (not to mention untrue!) and disturbing sentence; “Haylie mouths the words of the songs -- "You see it! You love it! You want some more of it!" -- and tosses her naked doll in the air at the points in the routine where she herself would be thrown”. I find this incredibly disturbing and quite frankly disgusting that Ms. Shapiro would comment on the anatomy of a young child’s chest, but then goes on to make up a story about a naked doll! The doll I’m willing to bet she saw is called an “American Girl” doll. They are extremely popular and almost every young All-Star cheerleader I’ve come across has one bearing their team’s uniform. They are meant to be a miniature version of themselves. Mr. Blaxill, I’m absolutely certain that I don’t need to explain to you why this is grossly inappropriate. If you have a daughter or sister even, could you imagine your response to a comment like the one Ms. Shapiro made?

I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you had not read the article itself before it was posted and that you have yet to read it; because I am certain that you, as an editor of the largest sporting magazine in the country, would never allow something so perverse as those statements in your magazine, online or in print. Those comments are not borderline obscene, they ARE obscene. I am so gravely disappointed that a female journalist had the opportunity to report on a rapidly growing and dynamic sport for the largest magazine in the industry, but instead chose to misrepresent herself, distort facts, make up lies to sensationalize her piece, but most importantly, who exploited a young girl in an unforeseen manner. Despite my disappointment with regard to her lack of journalistic integrity, this piece is simply unacceptable due to Ms. Shapiro’s gross lapse in judgment.

Mr. Blaxill, I’m respectfully asking you to either remove the article or ask Ms. Shapiro to print a retraction and edit the perverse material from her article. I am confident that you acquired your job as an editor because you are more than qualified and still hold the utmost integrity for your profession, so I am confident that you will do the right thing with respect to ESPN’s organization and your professional duties as an editor.

Sincerely,

i truly hate this article...everyone pretty much summed up everything that was wrong with it but I just dont understand why people cant appreciate the sport. It always has to be about "the hair, the style, the makeup" haha. All-star cheerleading is so much beyond that, we are athletes in every single aspect...just because our sport also cares about looks doesnt mean it takes away from our athleticism :(

"Even at 8:30 a.m., the place is a madhouse. Girls lie on the carpeted floor as their mothers apply false eyelashes or sew fake curls into their hair. An older cheerleader shakes glitter onto her male teammate's shag haircut. Next to her, a teenage girl lies serenely on her stomach as a friend methodically spreads deodorant over her entire back."

LMAO I think they meant Icy-Hot stick. ESPN of all companies should know what an Icy-Hot stick is...

I was thinking the exact same thing!

Did anyone ever hear anything back on this?
Yes, Ms. Shapiro wrote me back...she seems to think that it's perfectly appropriate to comment on a 7 year old's flat chest bc "they are supposed to be flat". Her replies were generic and insufficient and I have zero respect for her as a journalist. I can't believe ESPN felt it appropriate to run an article w/o at least editing some of it out (like that part)

My mom found this article for me in the doctor's office, and as soon as I saw she was covering Glitter Stars, I knew it wasn't going to be a respectable article. I feel really insulted that she put such negative light on something I love and appreciate. I didn't expect her to completely understand, because unless you've been in the cheerleading world it's hard. I did, though, expect her to attempt to understand and hopefully see a different view.
My mom read the article as well, and she thought it displayed the fact that cheer is a sport quite well! But I think that's only her... :)

ESPN... yeah, they're the real leader in sports... NOT... by their definition, if you're not making a million dollars a year in a sport then you're not an athlete worth covering. I say... get lost ESPN!

I'm not particularly interested in gaining the respect of ignorant, close-minded people. I'm still going to love coaching my teams and will continue to do so with or without their approval. Respect from all of you, my peers that speak cheer, is more of a reward to me. Have you ever tried to talk shop with a non-cheer person? I do that about as much as I talk shop with my car mechanic.
ESPN can go talk to Brett Favre or Barry Bonds. They're nothing but a sports tabloid.
CEA, you're fabulous and fierce. Just like the rest of us!

This is so sad, but I figured out what it all comes down to...ESPN won't sell high quantities of a legitimate article about cheerleading; however, a sensationalized story that sounds more like toddlers and tiaras they will :mad:

Did anyone ever hear anything back on this?

Yes. I am copying both the email Ms. Shapiro sent me as well as my response. Since that exchange I have heard nothing else from either her or the magazine. I'm not sure if I should post what amounts to a personal email, but at this point I really don't care. Here goes:

Hi Lymarie,

I am sorry it has taken me a bit to get back to you--I’ve been dealing with some personal matters. I appreciate you taking the time to let me know what you thought of the piece and also sharing the other responses at fierceboards—I am always interested, and frequently surprised, by what people take away from a piece I have written.

I’m very sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the piece. I can assure you I did not set out to write any particular kind of article about cheer. I was assigned to write about what I observed in a typical mini cheer team. My impressions after researching and observing were that cheer has been changing a lot in the last 3 decades, moving towards more athleticism and competition and that the young age at which girls start cheering—and the seriousness of the competition even then--is part of what makes that possible. It was also my impression that it is a sport in which appearance and feminine performance is emphasized much moreso than in basketball, soccer, track, lacrosse, swimming or softball. I think it would have been inaccurate to not address that aspect of cheer; if I was writing about any sport with an aesthetic component such as diving or ballet, I would always discuss that piece of it.

In terms of relaying an anecdote about Kevin that was told to me--I don’t understand what bias you feel could be reflected by including this detail.
I never met Ben and he never came up in conversation; that’s why he’s not in the piece.

When I described your enthusiasm for the girls’ near perfect execution at Cheersport, it was not my intention to convey ‘girliness’ but rather your dedication and investment as a coach. I am sorry you didn’t feel that was what came across.

Best,

Samantha

To which I replied:

Hi Samantha,

I want to thank you sincerely for responding. I know you are a busy woman and it means a lot that you would take the time to address my concerns. I would have emailed you sooner, but was at a national competition in Atlanta. Sorry for the delay.

I am happy that your observations were that we are a sport evolving into increased athleticism and competition. You are correct in saying that it is possible in part because of the young age that some athletes are beginning the sport. I also agree whole-heartedly that because of the performance aspect of the sport, appearance is a component. I absolutely expected that it would be reported and agree that it would have been inaccurate not to discuss it. Those observations, however, were not what you communicated through your writing.

You wrote in extensive detail about the hair, the style, and the make-up yet never offered the reasons behind them. I understand that some of the explanations were discussed with you by at least one parent. As a journalist embedded for an entire weekend, if you did not get the information it was because you did not fully attempt to investigate it or simply chose not to print what was said. I made myself readily available to you and asked you please to contact me with questions or clarifications. The answers are quite simple and deserved inclusion in the article. I mentioned most in my last letter, and won't repeat them here.

Those not familiar with the sport already associate us more closely with pageants than they do athletics. You perpetuated that view in your writing by largely ignoring the athletic value in what these competitors do in favor of a salacious description of what they wear. You had a perfect gateway into the vast advancements in athleticism and your point about young athletes in Cailyn, who already at age 8 has achieved fantastic success competing with teams and athletes that are regarded among the best in the sport. By focusing on the aesthetic components in exclusion of the athletic, you rendered your piece inaccurate. I came away from the from it feeling you wrote about observations you expected to see rather than painting a full picture of what was actually there.

The reality is that values between all star cheer and beauty contests are not that similar. Cheer teams win with precise, entertaining and technically sound routines filled with gravity-defying stunts and tumbling. They are not judged on how beautiful or well spoken the participants are. As a sports magazine, ESPN should have reported on the athletes. Those of us in the industry expected more.

That is only one of the uneducated stereotypes we are battling as a sport. Another is the idea that all male cheerleaders are gay. Therein lies my objection to your anecdote about Kevin. By using that anecdote not only did you perpetuate the stereotype that male cheerleaders AND hairstylists are gay, but that gay men in general are good at "doing hair." Whether you and I like it or not, those stereotypes exist and you helped advance them by not reporting their exceptions. Moreover, Kevin is an amazing person. He is a great example to the athletes in our gym and a talented and supportive coach. He did not deserve to be mentioned in such shallow terms. Perhaps it was unintentional to mention him in that regard at the exclusion of others, and I am willing to believe that it was, but regardless, it was an unnecessary and irresponsible description.

Also, I understand that you do not know Ben Pope, but your editors definitely did. They sent me a fact-check asking who the owners of Cheer Extreme were and I responded: Courtney Smith-Pope; her mother, Betsy Smith; her sister, Kelly Smith; and her husband Ben Pope. He should have been mentioned.

Again, my objection to the article is that it did not convey a complete picture of the sport that I know. We are both aware that news gatekeepers decide what is news not only by their descriptions of what they see but also by deciding what is and what is not reported. In this case, what was described was through a bawdy veil, but more resounding is the fact that what was omitted should have been what ESPN, a publication about sports, should have regarded most highly. Sadly, because of the inaccuracies and incomplete nature of the article they published, ESPN as a brand has, in my opinion, been damaged.

Sincerely,
Lymarie

I challenge Ms. Shapiro to point to an article in her magazine about diving, gymnastics, or ballet where that much copy was spent on the appearance of the athletes.

I challenge Ms.Shapiro to allow Lymarie to re-report on the sport ...we would all be better served by her voice, vision, passion and ability to evoke change.

While I agree the article would have been better served if done on an older higher level team, I must say when my kids first got into this SPORT my first impression was much like the article. Now here we are several years later and I'm on a board discussig cheerleading. We need to get this SPORT more consistent exposure to push it beyond a first impression and more into its reality. It would be nice if ESPN would give it another shot with more guidance from others within the sport and give it more attention than a week and I would bet there opinion and observations would change just as mine have.

Latest posts

Back