High School Extra Kids On The Mat?!- Comp

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 18, 2015
so, what to do when you have a base who has lost 25 lbs and can't possibly base anymore... Her muscle mass is completely gone... Nothing is going up like it used to...And I have zero substitutes as our district has strict rules on squad swapping. She had a kidney infection and just shrunk! She's smaller than my flyer for comp... She can't learn how to safely fly with our level of difficulty in a month?! Do we just have 4 extras on the mat?! And have the 3 stunt groups?! I'm seriously mind messed on how to make this work- (I don't want to just drop four hard working girls out?!) how much is this going to kill us score wise?!

so, what to do when you have a base who has lost 25 lbs and can't possibly base anymore... Her muscle mass is completely gone... Nothing is going up like it used to...And I have zero substitutes as our district has strict rules on squad swapping. She had a kidney infection and just shrunk! She's smaller than my flyer for comp... She can't learn how to safely fly with our level of difficulty in a month?! Do we just have 4 extras on the mat?! And have the 3 stunt groups?! I'm seriously mind messed on how to make this work- (I don't want to just drop four hard working girls out?!) how much is this going to kill us score wise?!
Poor thing :(

You could have her stand behind the backspot of a stunt group.

Really sad all the way around. I would check with other coaches in your state. May be there is a way to plead for an exception. Do you have someone you could add if able to? Otherwise with extra girls - can they tumble or lead crowd in cheers during stunting?

What rules do you use or competitions do you attend? It's hard to know what will score well without that info. Even with it, depending on the comp, there may still be no easy answer.

Are you limited to 16? The easiest answer if allowed and possible in your situation is to pull in a new base and have the old one stand behind the group. That way you don't have to take the girl off the floor all together, just out of the group.

Could you teach her a dumbed down version of the stunt? If the other 3 are doing full ups or switch ups, make her straight up. If they're doing tick tocks, she can stay on the main leg the whole time and they can just power press it. Depending on your stunt sequence, you may be able to teach her to fly a modified version. Some EP's will count majority, so if one group isn't fulling up, but the other 3 are, there isn't a penalty.

If none of the above is possible, then you have to weigh the options. You can always make them stand behind the other groups or tumble. You will probably have a judge that says put up another group and takes points off. It will probably be less taken off though than fall deductions from a group that isn't ready or able to hit. Judges typically would rather see 3 groups hit than 4 up and a fall.

What rules do you use or competitions do you attend? It's hard to know what will score well without that info. Even with it, depending on the comp, there may still be no easy answer.

Are you limited to 16? The easiest answer if allowed and possible in your situation is to pull in a new base and have the old one stand behind the group. That way you don't have to take the girl off the floor all together, just out of the group.

Could you teach her a dumbed down version of the stunt? If the other 3 are doing full ups or switch ups, make her straight up. If they're doing tick tocks, she can stay on the main leg the whole time and they can just power press it. Depending on your stunt sequence, you may be able to teach her to fly a modified version. Some EP's will count majority, so if one group isn't fulling up, but the other 3 are, there isn't a penalty.

If none of the above is possible, then you have to weigh the options. You can always make them stand behind the other groups or tumble. You will probably have a judge that says put up another group and takes points off. It will probably be less taken off though than fall deductions from a group that isn't ready or able to hit. Judges typically would rather see 3 groups hit than 4 up and a fall.
Problem got solved! My kids are super great... I presented the issue... And each kid is volunteering a "sit out" ... So there isn't a full stunt group out on the floor each comp. yes we are limited. We can't pull anyone up in our district :( as for trying to teach her to go up... She isn't even hitting a lib right now... Period...thanks for the advice. We compete USA, UCA , CIF and some local

Back