All-Star Fantastic Article On Injury Numbers And Why Cheer Should Be A Sport

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

As I recall there was at least one or more injuries at EVERY cheer competion I went to last year. Its not that things were being done unsafely. All star cheer is just a dangerous sport. Competition like Dallas NCA where you have over 30,000 kids competing in one weekend, accidents are going to happen no matter what. The last two competitions I saw a girl break her arm on stage and another just lying their and pain before they stopped the routine. Your darn right its a sport!

As I recall there was at least one or more injuries at EVERY cheer competion I went to last year. Its not that things were being done unsafely. All star cheer is just a dangerous sport. Competition like Dallas NCA where you have over 30,000 kids competing in one weekend, accidents are going to happen no matter what. The last two competitions I saw a girl break her arm on stage and another just lying their and pain before they stopped the routine. Your darn right its a sport!
Injuries don't prove an activity is worthy of being called a sport.

My husband and I were talking recently about cheer related injuries versus other sports. We were wondering if it is ever taken in to consideration that all-star cheer is running practices nearly 12 months a year, versus 4-5 months of school football, basketball, etc. If the injury numbers are based on a yearly average, it seems the numbers will always show that all-star cheer is more dangerous.
Not to mention that no other sport has up to 36 athletes on the floor at a time. Id like to hear the percentage of # of injury to # of athletes. Bet it gives a whole new perspetive!

I have no idea what else you would classify AllStar cheerleading other than a Sport.
I don't think he's stating that cheerleading isn't a sport. He's saying that the injuries isn't what makes it a sport, it's the skills. If a child swings on a chair in school and it tips over and the child breaks his/ her arm, it doesn't make swinging on a chair a sport.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Luckily it is a sport in the uk. Please note we are a level 2 university team we had a girl 3 months before comp slip doing a front handspring the said she pulled a ligament she went to physio and all was fine but then at competiton she sudenly collasped in pain and our routine was stopped. We found out then she has completley rupture her ACL and cartilige so it is more dangerous than some people think. At another comp the amount of icepacks and people being carried off by coaches during warmups was astonishing

I don't think he's stating that cheerleading isn't a sport. He's saying that the injuries isn't what makes it a sport, it's the skills. If a child swings on a chair in school and it tips over and the child breaks his/ her arm, it doesn't make swinging on a chair a sport.

Not sure how we got off the topic of chair swinging but I know that All Star Cheerleading is a very dangerous sport. No one can convince me otherwise.

Not sure how we got off the topic of chair swinging but I know that All Star Cheerleading is a very dangerous sport. No one can convince me otherwise.
I don't think anybody is arguing that, I actually think most if not everyone would agree with that. All we are saying is that just because something is dangerous and causes injuries doesn't automatically make it a sport. It sounds like you are saying the reason cheer is a sport is because it is dangerous not because it requires athleticism.

I don't think anybody is arguing that, I actually think most if not everyone would agree with that. All we are saying is that just because something is dangerous and causes injuries doesn't automatically make it a sport. It sounds like you are saying the reason cheer is a sport is because it is dangerous not because it requires athleticism.

LOL it sounds like something we are disagreeing on something that we are all agree on. Yes its settled cheerleading is a sport and all the stunting and tumbling makes it quite dangerous.

Injuries don't prove an activity is worthy of being called a sport.
I agree that injury rates don't define what is and isn't a sport. In your mind, what IS your criteria for being called a sport?

I agree that injury rates don't define what is and isn't a sport. In your mind, what IS your criteria for being called a sport?
Athleticism, Organization of groups within and above the sport, Skill sets, Rigorous and fair competition, Seasons of play mixed with off season. As well as many other things.

Back