All-Star Favorite Competition Attributes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 9, 2010
Hello All,

So i've read through many threads about cheerleaders, coaches, and parents favorite competitions throughout the season. I keep seeing Worlds, NCA, Cheersport, JAMZ, and many others as there favorite events which i understand. But my question is a little bit different.....
What makes these competitions better then the rest? BESIDES maybe having a lot of teams or certain organizations that go to them.

Just curious because I think all of the events a significant in there own way I just want another persons take on it....
Maybe people have similar interests or different things in common when picking events they like to go too.

For me.. It's about the floor, the warm ups, the event staff, the placements.
It is all a factor.
As an athlete, I prefer a stress free environment and a non-hectic warm up. As a coach, I not only want that for my kids, but I want them to be taken care of scores wise and before and after they perform with a well set up competition, where it's clear where to meet at certain places and certain times.
On the west coast, Spirit Sports is hands down, in my opinion, the most organized and well-run competition. Plus, each gym gets their own room where they can kids and parents can, meet, hang out, all right by the main competition halls, which is right next to warm ups.

Warm up rooms that are well supervised, on time, and provide ample time on each mat.

Warm up mats and competition floors that are well put together and aren't covered in holes and dents *cough*

Venues that are prepared to hold the entire competition with room to spare. Crowded arenas are the WORST.

Award ceremonies that don't include 20 minute long dance parties, pep rallies, music videos or dancing inflatables. We're tired and we want to go home.

And of course, unbiased judges that look for skills, not the name on the uniform.

Organized warm ups, that have decent mats (some are just a dead floor and a tiny tumble strip which I hate) and also feel like you're not being rushed.

A decent time between warm up and performance. I hate being rushed out onto the mat right after warm ups but I also dislike waiting a half an hour.

Organized awards. I've been to multiple competitions this year where the teams were so squished and could barely fit on the mat so they couldn't be on the stage. If more awards need to be made then so be it. I also hate when they drag it out with little games and stuff.

Crowd control. I have a story....Cheersport is very organized, but there were a few flukes. At World Cup we are supposed to watch and cheer on each team from our program. Of course there's a huge crowd for shooting stars, and seats were filling up fast. I thought, oh no big deal, we have priority viewing. But whole teams from other gyms PUSHED their way through priority, blocking parents and everything. It was awful! I loved cheersport but that was so annoying.

Hope I helped!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Warm up rooms basically set my mood for the competition. If warm ups are well run and we are given a reasonable time on each station then I feel more confident going into the performance, but if the mats are in poor condition or we aren't given what could be considered a reasonable time to warm up then not only are we rushed, but I usually don't feel as confident going into the performance even if we are very consistent in the skills we do. I dislike the warm up areas at local or small competitions because you usually get very little time per station and the tumble strip is usually a single, versus the double at bigger competitions, and then they give you less time for tumbling. Sometimes it can be hard enough to get through everyone's tumbling on a double with more time especially for larger teams or elite level 5 teams let alone on a single strip with less time.

I feel like at smaller competitions they rush you through warm ups only to have you sit backstage forever because they can't keep the competition running on time but still have warm ups running on time. That really bothers me. I really like when competitions run on time or really close to it. To me at least, it seems like a more professional company than ones that always seem to get behind.

I was at several competitions this year where they just didn't have the space for all the teams that they were doing awards for. It really sucks when you go out for awards and you have to sit off to the side of the mat because there are either too many teams on the mat or teams like to sit in big circles and take up the space of 2 teams. I like the speeches the EPs do before the awards and the thanking of the parents, but I really don't like the "dance parties" before awards and I especially don't like "Jammy" and other inflatable characters. Personally I think they are kind of creepy and not really age appropriate for many senior teams awards. But the dance parties are unnecessary and just take up too much time.

I love the things that make it feel like a true performance, like the raised stage, stage lighting, venue, sound system, raised judges table, etc. It makes the competition a whole different experience compared to a competition in a regular old gymnasium which can feel like a dressed up practice sometimes.

Keep the responses coming. I am very intrigued with the variety of answers. Thank you all who have answered so far! Well appreciated. I am actually doing a project on this for school, that is partly the reason behind it so the more the better.

Thanks!

I'd say because the stakes are higher and for most comps you just get trophies, but for these you get, rings, jackets, medals, stuff for YOU to have, not your gym :)

Back