All-Star Fees For Reviewing Score Sheets?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mardis Gras was a mess last year. They did at least TWO blatant mistakes at the NJ comp which included (iirc)calling one team level champs when they didn't even place!

That would not be okay with me unless I was getting that $50 back if I was correct.

I spent all Saturday morning last weekend at a 2-day national comp arguing a legality call for a level 1 prep lib stunt. I felt like I was educating the safety judge on the level 1 rules - I finally ended up showing her a USASF produced video on a similar legal level 1 stunt which got her to switch her stance. It ended up changing the scores of over 6 teams who were called for the almost exact similar stunt.

That would not be okay with me unless I was getting that $50 back if I was correct.

I spent all Saturday morning last weekend at a 2-day national comp arguing a legality call for a level 1 prep lib stunt. I felt like I was educating the safety judge on the level 1 rules - I finally ended up showing her a USASF produced video on a similar legal level 1 stunt which got her to switch her stance. It ended up changing the scores of over 6 teams who were called for the almost exact similar stunt.
[emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

You should know what range you will fall into before going to the comp based on the scoring rubics. Where you fall in that range will be up to the judges and it will vary from comp to comp and judging panel to judging panel.
OMG...this post wasn't about how I approach scoresheets. The way I do it works for me and my gym and I know what I'm talking about in my crazy day of cheer competition day mind of mine. This was about me asking if anyone had ever seen competitions charging $50 to dispute deductions and anyone else's opinion of that because I had never heard of it.

Mardis Gras was a mess last year. They did at least TWO blatant mistakes at the NJ comp which included (iirc)calling one team level champs when they didn't even place!
WOW...thats crazy. Ours was just as bad as a experience...almost every team disputed and after we got almost a point lower in difficulty than we should have we were informed "they wrote down the wrong score" ummm...okay? Not to mention two hours behind schedule...ugh.

Well what happens when a coach knowingly signs off on a score at scorecheck that they KNOW it's correct? A team in the J1 division this weekend at ABKC was given a 6 out of 5 for their jump difficulty. Like you have to sign off on that...we all know you saw it. I obviously brought it to the attention of the judges because even though it didn't change the outcome of the division, it could have. Based on the very inconsistent scoring/scoring issues at that competition I wouldn't be surprised if that happened in other divisions too.

So does the competition have to pay all the J1 coaches $50 because of that? If so, I'm all for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMG...this post wasn't about how I approach scoresheets. The way I do it works for me and my gym and I know what I'm talking about in my crazy day of cheer competition day mind of mine. This was about me asking if anyone had ever seen competitions charging $50 to dispute deductions and anyone else's opinion of that because I had never heard of it.
See the highlighted portion for the reason for my response:
"Yep just to dispute...if you are correct on the dispute you get your $50 BUT...for me when I dispute a score its more about trying to learn the system (considering it gets changed all the time). Also its a $100 fee if you bring up questioning about another team"

Yes, I have heard of it and it makes sense. It ensures the coach/owner going to dispute the score knows exactly what they're disputing.

Well what happens when a coach knowingly signs off on a score at scorecheck that they KNOW it's correct? A team in the J1 division this weekend at ABKC was given a 6 out of 5 for their jump difficulty. Like you have to sign off on that...we all know you saw it. I obviously brought it to the attention of the judges because even though it didn't change the outcome of the division, it could have. Based on the very inconsistent scoring/scoring issues at that competition I wouldn't be surprised if that happened in other divisions too.

So does the competition have to pay all the J1 coaches $50 because of that? If so, I'm all for it.

I wonder, does gymnastics have these issues? It seems every competition I hear of scoring inconsistencies. But that's why I tell my teams the only team they're competing against is themselves. They can only control what they put on the floor, not what the judges see/don't see.

I wonder, does gymnastics have these issues? It seems every competition I hear of scoring inconsistencies. But that's why I tell my teams the only team they're competing against is themselves. They can only control what they put on the floor, not what the judges see/don't see.

You mean does gymnastics have the fee or inconsistencies? If the latter, they definitely have those!

You mean does gymnastics have the fee or inconsistencies? If the latter, they definitely have those!
Both, but mostly the inconsistencies. I suppose in any performance sport where there is subjectivity, it's going to happen. But sometimes it's just soo blatant, like how?!

Both, but mostly the inconsistencies. I suppose in any performance sport where there is subjectivity, it's going to happen. But sometimes it's just soo blatant, like how?!

In the last Olympics, Aly Raisman successfully contested her beam score and went from not receiving a medal to the bronze after it went in her favor. At a competition this past weekend, my friends little girl successfully contested a score and went from 3rd place All-Around to 2nd. She's only in Level 3 so from bottom to top, mistakes happen.

I think a lot of it is just human error; whether it's being tired, blinking at the wrong second, looking down and missing something...etc, etc. As long as judges are human, there will be errors which is why I like the idea of video playbacks and being able to contest something. What I don't like is the idea of a gym not contesting an issue because they fear losing money with the fee.

And this isn't an attack on the judges; mistakes happen and I don't think anyone wants to miss score a team...etc.

Based on some of the comments written on my scoresheets this weekend, I'm honestly not convinced the judges even watched some parts of my routine. We weren't the only people with scoring issues at that competition, so that makes me feel better (kind of, I hate the other people had issues too). Every coach I talked to had something to say about it.

Based on some of the comments written on my scoresheets this weekend, I'm honestly not convinced the judges even watched some parts of my routine. We weren't the only people with scoring issues at that competition, so that makes me feel better (kind of, I hate the other people had issues too). Every coach I talked to had something to say about it.

:( That's not good to hear.

Last edited:
For lack of a better place to ask this question, is there anyone that can explain when a judge would take off of execution versus a deduction when it comes to stunt issues? Example: If a stunt group starts to go up but, goes back down into the smoosh (not cradled, not a fall, more like an omission of part of the elite stunt) and goes on to hit the rest of the stunt. Is that a BB, BF or execution?

Back