High School First Time At Camp - Ideas?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 29, 2011
My middle school cheer program is fairly new - going into our fourth year. Last year, we did UCA camp for the first time, but we did a home camp to keep things low key and not overwhelm the girls. This year, I think they are ready for the big time. So, I am taking 14 middle schoolers to UCA two-night stunt camp at University of South Florida. Not a single one of these ladies has ever been to cheerleading camp before.

Does anyone have tips on how to make camp a fun, special, and memorable experience for the girls?

Of course I want them to learn something, but above that, I want them to have so much fun they can't wait to go back next year. Here are some things I've already done:
- Gifts for day one (personalized water bottles) and day two (pink zebra bows to match their outfits)
- Door decorations
- A huge variety of snacks (pretzels, goldfish, fruit snacks, etc.)

Any other ideas? I'm open to anything! I'd especially like cute ideas for a last day gift.

UCA camp is pretty fun it's self! It's hard work, but they'll have fun.
Maybe you could have like big sis-little sis and they get each other goodies, work together while learning stuff (a lot of the dances use partner work). I've also heard of teams that have an award at the end of each day, like the coach picks someone who was the most spirited or did the best. I've heard of them either doing the award thing or making them the captain for the next day.

Finding some bonding activities to do after the day is over and to help them wind down after the day is always good and can clear the air from any issues during the day amongst the girls while also bringing them closer together!

Our FAVORITE thing to do is have everyone bring a really big shirt. Then, find a really big room and get six-eight mattresses from the beds and make a good-sized floor from the mattresses. Everyone finds a partner about their size, shoves a pillow up their shirt in the front and back, and takes turns "sumo wrestling!" It's so much fun and it's great bonding!

A GREAT bonding and getting to know you game is one with Sweettarts/Smarties: Give each girl a roll of Sweettarts/Smarties and have each girl go around and tell one fact about themselves for each piece of candy in the pack of Sweettarts/Smarties. By the time the candy is gone, everyone will know so much more about each other; a perfect bonding and getting to know you game!! You can start them off by coaching them along-tell everyone about how old they are, how many siblings they have, if they have any pets, etc...

What my team does is we are given room mates and we have to make door signs for our dorm(we are given a theme and have to incorporate it into our sign). Also we do theme days like match your roomie day then we do bow day(everyone makes bows and trades them). I don't know how that will work since im in highschool but it works well with my team. :D

Whenever we go to a UCA camp we always have a party for the seniors (even though its fun for everyone). We exchange gifts between big sis/ little sis and the parents all chip in for a dinner and dessert. It's always good to have something to look forward to on your last night of camp.

Back