High School Flew Off The Handle...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

That is pretty incredible you have all those different squads within your program! This year I had a Varsity Football/Basketball, JV Football/B-ball, a Varsity comp and a varsity NT. I thought I was going to lose my mind with all the logistics and planning. I am totally scaling back next year or else I'm nervous I'm going to burn out (I have a 1 yr old and a 2 1/2 yr old and I feel like they took a backseat because of my chaotic schedule this year which makes me sad to admit!).

The thing I struggle most with are my "average cheerleaders". They cause me the most problems (over exaggerated injuries, quick to be too sick to practice, etc). It's like my JV girls dont have a ton of natural ability but they push themselves because they don't want to be on JV again. My top Varsity girls are hardcore and push through anything. But my middle kids are complacent (granted, there are a handful that rise above), and it's almost like they're happy being the lower part of varsity and don't feel like they will ever be a top Vatsity kid and so they just "are". (To explain more, I have a Red squad and a Silver squad. Both are considered Varsity but each squad has somewhat different responsibilities and Red is the top squad).

Anyways, this post is probably totally confusing now but my point is that my "middle cheerleader's" drive me crazy because they're lazy and don't push! Is this a common problem with you guys too?

You are not alone. I am so frustrated with this season that I am ready to hand it over to someone else next year. The drama amongst girls has been ridiculous and in the past month and a half the majority of the girls have become lazy. The latest had to do with "well I'm going to a different school next year", "i'm not trying out next year", "our fans don't support us" so why care? UGH! I love cheerleading and last year, even though we didn't compete, we had a great year, this year with competing some it's been disasterous. Seriously considering walking away after this year. :(

OMGosh I am so excited to hear I am not alone. This year has been the worst for laziness and goofing around. They cheered a tournament this weekend and by the 3rd game, I had no cheerleaders. Found them in the locker room changing out of their uniforms into everyday clothes because they are tired and their feet hurt. HELLO, so what. You suck it up and cheer as the basketball players are playing their 3rd game for the day and I am sure their feet hurt too and they are tired. Now Monday we have no school but do have a game and I just got a message asking me if they have to cheer at the game since there is no school. I too am seriously thinking of walking away after this year too.

OMGosh I am so excited to hear I am not alone. This year has been the worst for laziness and goofing around. They cheered a tournament this weekend and by the 3rd game, I had no cheerleaders. Found them in the locker room changing out of their uniforms into everyday clothes because they are tired and their feet hurt. HELLO, so what. You suck it up and cheer as the basketball players are playing their 3rd game for the day and I am sure their feet hurt too and they are tired. Now Monday we have no school but do have a game and I just got a message asking me if they have to cheer at the game since there is no school. I too am seriously thinking of walking away after this year too.
Sounds kinda like the girls I whipped into shape last year. I was strict and just let them know if you don't want to do the job then walk away and turn in your stuff. Last year they sucked it up and did it, even if they complained. This year same rules, maybe even more strict, but these girls I swear are sticking around to make my life miserable. Thankfully season is almost over and I'm gonna stick in there one more year and hopefully be able to chalk this up as a bad year. Start making punishments for their actions including but not limited to jumps, conditionining, or even removal from the squad. It always sucks to lose cheerleaders, but it's worse having ones that don't care. Good Luck and keep your chin up. :)

Back