Flyer Tips?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 4, 2013
I'm a flyer on my level 2 team and I don't have much experience. I've been cheering for a few years but it was a rec. so I didn't get much stunting experience (I was a flyer on this team). I know the basics like staying tight and locking my legs. We only did preps, prep liberty, Swedish falls, twist ups, cradles, and I did pull a scorpion in a prep for fun once but that's all. Please respond :)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Stretch. Stretch. Stretch.
I never did cheer till this year. I've flown but just for fun. I'm flying and I've been stretching for the past year. I'm more flexible than the senior flyers.
Don't over think when flying.
If your "toeing" or "heeling" try and balance but not over fix it and lose total balance.
Make sure you have good communication and trust in your bases. There is two girls at our open gyms that can't base an extension and I hit the ground. My back hurt for 2 days. I told the coaches I don't feel comfortable with them basing me. I was fine with girls I trust so make sure you trust your bases

The Fiercest App of All... Fierce Board

Thanks! I have all body positions except my bow and arrow, I have a weak ankle so it tends to bend while I'm flying, ad I usually toe it but when I do, I think of heeling so my foot goes flat. I'm just scared to lose my spot since I'm only good at flying and it's the only thing I like about stunting. I will remember these tips for when I fly :) thank you

if you have weak ankles then strengthen them by stretching (inwards and outwards). Also do heellifts. Do then everyday and make it a habit! practice balancing on one leg and also practice with your eyes closed (even harder) when in theair if your toeing or heeling think of lifting up your toes to the top f the shoe. If your ankle is rolling think of flexing your ankle and makin it strong . Hope this helps!

I have all but a heel stretch. "I'm too flexible" and I pull it like I would a bow and arrow. Now I am too tiny and not strong enough to base/back. I've been told it. Sometimes it's not always the flyer (or bases) fault when something goes wrong but always acknowledge what went wrong so you and your group can fix it

The Fiercest App of All... Fierce Board

What are the best stretches for a bow and arrow? As fir flying tips, I agree with the other posts, the best thing to do is stretch stretch stretch every day. Also see if your mom or someone can help pull your leg back for you as you face forward with your back to your helper while you are on your knees holding their legs behind you. Youtube has some good videos too.

Back