Flying With Weights

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 1, 2013
To start, I don't know whether I've read over this idea before and just don't remember the source to cite- or this is an original thought from myself. Haha.

The other day I was mindlessly staring off at some make shift stunt stands in the gym, when the idea of having a girl go up (on the stunt stands) and hold weights in her hands while standing in a lib to strengthen her balance and posture muscles. In theory this would help a crazy flyer condition and strengthen the muscles needed to be able to control her body in the air and look more relaxed. The body is a complicated machine, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about this. Do you think it'd be effective?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I couldn't give any thoughts on your suggestion of holding weights, but as a flyer I have worn ankle weights and wrist weights before when flying to help condition my base and help make him stronger.

We only ever do basic skills and strengthening drills though while wearing the weights, like practicing toss to hands. It's amazing the improvement in power and height when you take off the weights, because you feel so much lighter!

To start, I don't know whether I've read over this idea before and just don't remember the source to cite- or this is an original thought from myself. Haha.

The other day I was mindlessly staring off at some make shift stunt stands in the gym, when the idea of having a girl go up (on the stunt stands) and hold weights in her hands while standing in a lib to strengthen her balance and posture muscles. In theory this would help a crazy flyer condition and strengthen the muscles needed to be able to control her body in the air and look more relaxed. The body is a complicated machine, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about this. Do you think it'd be effective?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

To be honest I don't. I see what you are trying to do (condition for strength to increase posture and balance the body) but the issue is that just holding weights in a bad position is as easy to do as holding weights in a good position. That is one of the trickiest parts of stunting. You need some one or some thing that lets your body know when you are in an incorrectly balanced position. This is why I have never liked stunt stands in general. You have to have an expert there telling you you have bad posture or you are leaning weight to the wrong side. It is also why I like the pro pedestal. You can't hold an unbalanced position (it won't let you).

If you really want to help condition and add strength I recommend getting all your flyers frisbees. Have them stand on the frisbee then go into a pushup position. With their body locked out and not wobbling have them walk up and down the floor. That is a cheap ($1 for a frisbee) way to increase strength. I would also recommend checking out the pro pedestal because it actually works.

Back