Flying...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Please understand that you're size sounds normal and healthy for your age. I understand the way you feel. My daughter was a flyer from the time she started cheering. She loves being in the air and always felt that it was her strength. This year she is a senior and was so looking forward to being in the air again at worlds. She is 5'1" and weights 110. Well, she is on an open team with the youngest girls being 14 and she is almost 18. The little girls have not gone thru puberty yet so are very small. She is now basing. It was extremely difficult for her to adapt to the change and she hates it. This will be her last year cheering all star. However, she loves her team and didn't want to give up on them. So she makes the best of it and is enjoying her senior year. Sometimes these changes happen and there's nothing you can do about it. Just please understand that the change wasn't made because there's anything wrong with you.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Agreeing with other posters, Sounds like you are a healthy young lady. Definitely tough when on younger teams but as age and skill level of the team advances you should see more flying opportunities. My cp would rather base a flyer of your size and build than a younger, lighter (less muscle) one because your muscle and strength makes it easier.

Cheer Dad = broke dad

Ok so I'm 5.2 and like 113 pounds but I'm like completely muslce and I fly on my sideline cheer team but I would like to try to fly on my level 3 comp team but I don't know if I would be able to like pull everything! I need ways to get all my splits really good! I have my right but I pulled my left hamstring so what do I do about that? An I don't have my middle split either! :-/ what do I do?

Ok so I'm 5.2 and like 113 pounds but I'm like completely muslce and I fly on my sideline cheer team but I would like to try to fly on my level 3 comp team but I don't know if I would be able to like pull everything! I need ways to get all my splits really good! I have my right but I pulled my left hamstring so what do I do about that? An I don't have my middle split either! :-/ what do I do?
Ask your coach for a chance to try and get there opinion.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android Hater Shades, trying to be relevant since 2009.

I coach junior high, and often our amazing tops in grade 7 don't get to fly in grade 8 or 9 simply because the younger grade 7's can't put them up. It has absolutely nothing to do with the skill of size of the flyers. It has everything to do with puberty and that fact that you are potentially 2 years older/more grown than the younger kids. In junior high, that can be a lot!! Most of these flyers do go on to fly in high school as most girls are done the majority of their growing and size has equaled out a bit. Keep stretching and working on your flying skills when you can.

Also, fat and muscle weight the same amount. However 5lbs of muscle is denser and will take up less space than 5lbs of fat. Being muscular is a good thing cos you then have the strength to get yourself in the air and stay tight. Tiny flyers with no muscle don't always have the strength to do this.

i totally understand where you are coming from. My daughter was a flyer from the time she was 4 until two years ago. Her first year at all-stars she was the main flyer but by the time her second year came around she was taller then most of the girls on her team so was reduced to base. She also hates it but loves all-star cheer enough to stay even with having to base. I find that the all-star gyms will put "babies" on higher level teams just to get a smaller flyer. I don't think it should be allowed because even though they are smaller and lighter their often times have horrible body positions in the air. I love nothing better than going into a cheer competition and seeing a SR team with SR size flyers instead of the little babies they hide in the back during the jumps and dance because they can't keep up.

Now for high school. I am the high school cheer coach and find that i prefer the taller/larger flyers. In my experience i do have several "smaller" flyers because they can't hold anyone but i have come to find that a portion of my experienced bases prefer my daughter as their flyer as they get to do more because the smaller girls can barely hold an extension prep. Keep you head up but remember that even in high school a lot of it depends on the bases and what they are able to accomplish with the flyer rather than the actual flyer size. I did find helpful that our camp "buddy" pushed them into trying to base our "bigger" flyer and then they discovered they loved it because she actually felt lighter than the girl that weighed 20 lbs less.

Keep trying and you will find that the bases in High School will absolutely love flying someone who does their "job" rather than someone smaller. I have the hardest time finding bases for one of my "smallest" flyers for that exact reason. They will fight over not flying her just to get the flyer that does her part.

'reduced to base' ' hates it' 'using a smaller flyer... Who have horrible body positions in the air' : these statements all have a tone of bitterness to me. It takes many people to make a team, including my CP who doesn't fly, and values her position, no matter what her coach asks her to do to be a part of the team to make it work. It really isn't right to rank the importance of roles in cheerleading, or on any team. I think this mentality is not helping your daughter 'love' all star cheer like you think she does.

A well rounded athlete is always better than one that only specializes in just one area. The kid that can do it all is much more useful to a team.

Encourage her to embrace opportunities to learn new things. It will help her much more in the long run of life to have an attitude that allows her to adapt to change easily.

Back