Flying

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 28, 2015
So I used to do gymnastics and decided to switch to cheer. I was small enough to fly on the team I went to but wasn't really experienced enough. Got changed to all different types of positions. Long story short I left that gym and went to a different team. And recently this girl got moved out of the flying position and I was up for that position. Now that I flew at my old gym I got a lot of good experience.Since I was a gymnast I am mostly muscle. Is it true muscle weighs more or is it harder to base a muscular person? Because if not I feel pretty bad because the bases couldn't get me up there. And I'm only 110 and 5'1 which is smaller than the other flyer who is a mix of fat and muscle.

Last edited:
Don't compare yourself to other flyers. It depends on the bases, how experienced they r, how they work together. Etc. For u it does not always depend on size. It matters how u control your body, how tight your are etc. You can b the best flyer, if your bases don't work together and in sync then it won't work. Same goes for experienced bases with a "wiggly" loose flyer., won't work.

I would focus on your flexibility and skills as a flyer. At the end of the day, I think it would only help your case if you can prove your skills in the air!

Anecdotally, the best flyer on our team was a gymnast-turned flyer. She was pure muscle, but could twist, spin, and hit every body position. She was also an incredible base as well. Show your coach you can be an accomplished flyer.

You can buy or have built stands to help you practice your scorpion or other poses. This won't help those who lift you up but is still good practice

Back