All-Star Football Player Quits, Joins Cheer Squad

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Assumption, so no coed for me. We did have some beast girls though!

Davenport Assumption was the DEAL back when I was in HS. I think they were the first team from Iowa to ever have squad standing backs if my memory serves (which is a HUGE deal in Iowa). Assumption, Bettendorf, Cedar Falls, North Cedar (where I went), and Mason City pretty much ran the state.

We did have full team tucks and even a few girls that were doing standing BHS fulls. It was pretty ridiculous for 10 years ago (especially in Iowa). They had a girl throw a standing full in a routine a few years ago too I think. The key to their success? They used to have a decent-sized all star program that had mini, youth, and junior teams that fed into the high school team, so they were all-star kids that had a high school team instead of a senior team. A good friend of mine, who also cheered there, coaches them now. Their stunting is still really good, but the tumbling isn't the same as before. :(

We did have full team tucks and even a few girls that were doing standing BHS fulls. It was pretty ridiculous for 10 years ago (especially in Iowa). They had a girl throw a standing full in a routine a few years ago too I think. The key to their success? They used to have a decent-sized all star program that had mini, youth, and junior teams that fed into the high school team, so they were all-star kids that had a high school team instead of a senior team. A good friend of mine, who also cheered there, coaches them now. Their stunting is still really good, but the tumbling isn't the same as before. :(

Didnt Jim Waggener and his wife used to coach out there? My friend Natalie coaches Eastern Iowa allstars out there now. Ugh! 10 years ago. I was in HS 10 years ago! Now I feel old.

Im gonna break out some of my old VHS's from back in our day! Ill make sure I get assumption!

Good for him! We have 3 guys that play football and do cheer (but only the competitive side obviously, otherwise it would get a little awkward around game time!) and they all love it as well

Did anyone else cringe when they were wearing skirts over their warm-up pants? That was a biiiig no-no where I went to high school...if it was cold, we only wore pants. No skirts on top, ever.

Did anyone else cringe when they were wearing skirts over their warm-up pants? That was a biiiig no-no where I went to high school...if it was cold, we only wore pants. No skirts on top, ever.
oh my goodness and at my school we dread having to wear only pants. I personally think its really ugly without skirts. But its the same for us about everyone being the same. If someone forgets their pants or jacket no one is allowed to wear it.

At my school everyone has to match. Pants are never worn underneath the skirt. If pants are worn, jackets must also be warn. If one person wears the jacket, everyone wears the jacket.

See, being from northern New England, if you were putting on pants instead of the skirts, a jacket was definitely necessary as well. No questions asked :p I think we only wore jackets with skirts one or two times. Towards the end of the season people were wearing sweatshirts underneath the jackets...it was just so cold! Cheering in 40/30 degree weather = not fun.

See, being from northern New England, if you were putting on pants instead of the skirts, a jacket was definitely necessary as well. No questions asked :p I think we only wore jackets with skirts one or two times. Towards the end of the season people were wearing sweatshirts underneath the jackets...it was just so cold! Cheering in 40/30 degree weather = not fun.

We had wool sweaters that matched our uniforms. We would wear the turtleneck body suit, our shell, the wool sweater, then the jacket. It was pretty awesome, looking like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

JulieP said:
Love it. Jesus this is going to get ridiculous.

Hahaha! That reminds me of what Jen said they call people from Iowa ; )

We had wool sweaters that matched our uniforms. We would wear the turtleneck body suit, our shell, the wool sweater, then the jacket. It was pretty awesome, looking like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.
you only had a turtleneck!? we had a fullllllll leotard. It snapped together at the bottom. I forgot about the sweaters! We had those too. They were kinda weird...smelled a little funky. We had ponchos too for when it rained!

Back