OT For Those Of You Who Make Bows....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Mar 25, 2010
do you just make them for yourself? if so, how do you know how much material to buy? I've decided to start making my own bows to feed my addiction, seeing as poor college student is an understatement right now.

peace, love, and happy cheering

showstopper

If youre looking to buy material online, the minimum order per type of fabric is 1 yard for most places. Which if youre just making them for yourself, will last forever.

see that's what i'm afraid of lol i've been told joann fabrics or hobby lobby carry material, i figured start there and work my way up.

I have never ordered from Spandex World so I am not sure but I believe that fabric is thicker and of better quality. the Joanns and Hobby Lobby around me do not sell spandex fabric but do have regular mystic and sequin fabric which is what I use. It works nicely but the sequin fabric is thin. If your fabric store carries spandex I would go with that because from what I can tell it makes much much better bows. I plan on placing an order with Spandex World but I can never decide which to go with to start out since I just do it for fun.

As for how much I usually go with 1-2 yards because Hobby Lobby is always having a sale on fabric. It lasts a long time.

do you just make them for yourself? if so, how do you know how much material to buy? I've decided to start making my own bows to feed my addiction, seeing as poor college student is an understatement right now.

showstopper

I buy from spandex house and spandex world, minimum is 1 yard and $20 worth, 1 yard of spandex can make at least 24 bows, more if your using less than 3" wide. Plus the shipping will kill you too (like $10 a box) for individual use. Best to go to the local fabric store for personal bows. Sequin dot fabric is always thin and needs to be lined with a similar color underneath. Usually the minimum they will sell you is 1/4 yard. You only need 3" of fabric per bow, less for smaller bows (plus a little extra that needs to be trimmed off to make the edges straight). You can use any fabric, but some fabrics will fray and need cut edges sealed or folded under. You can get good deals in the remnant bin.

I just go buy it from the fabric store so that way I don't have to order a whole yard. I just buy a quarter yard and that's more than enough.

Do You Guys Find That The Spandex Gets Hard To Work With? I Picked Up Some Fabric From Joanns In The "Dancewear" Section, I Believe Its Like The Mystic Fabric, But Anyways Once I Get It On The Grossgrain Its Pretty Thick And Hard To Shape. Thoughts?

showstopper

I only make bows for my sister and my niece. Occasionally I will make one for free for my sister's friends for try outs. I did make try out bows for a girl trying out at a high school and got asked to make game day/competition bows for their 3 teams. And a few girls from that team have requested bows. Last year I did camp bows for a high school team and wanted to cry.

I don't have time to make them to sell because I have an actual career (which is why I also don't really care about the cost of the materials and typical will run out and buy fabric just so my niece will have a matching bow to wear to practice because I am very particular about the way little kids dress and feel that they should always look nice, neat and matchy...but thats a whole different story)

But anyway. I buy 1/4 a yard from Joanns, Hobby Lobby/local mom and pop fabric stores and its more than enough for my niece and sister.

I agree with @HEresAThought...if you work or go to school full time, making bows to sell is next to impossible. Even doing a single team order is a lot of work! But, making a few here or there for fun, that's do-able.

Do You Guys Find That The Spandex Gets Hard To Work With? I Picked Up Some Fabric From Joanns In The "Dancewear" Section, I Believe Its Like The Mystic Fabric, But Anyways Once I Get It On The Grossgrain Its Pretty Thick And Hard To Shape. Thoughts?
What I have found is if you get the fabric warm and then fold it it makes it alot easier to work with.

What I have found is if you get the fabric warm and then fold it it makes it alot easier to work with.

Yeah I usual iron the crap out of it before I fold it and then I have to move fast! I just think the material I have is too thick, Im not sure really what it is!

Yeah I usual iron the crap out of it before I fold it and then I have to move fast! I just think the material I have is too thick, Im not sure really what it is!
I do the same lol I normally don't get the thick kind but I did last night and it was really hard to fold I actually sewed it together instead to make it easier to work with

Can someone help me figure out the right way to attach the fabric to the ribbon? I gathered that heat and bond is used between them. What's the right way to attach the ribbon and fabric?

I tried attaching the heat and bond to the ribbon, then attaching to the ribbon but the fabric edge looks sloppy and like it might fray. Any advice?

Can someone help me figure out the right way to attach the fabric to the ribbon? I gathered that heat and bond is used between them. What's the right way to attach the ribbon and fabric?

I tried attaching the heat and bond to the ribbon, then attaching to the ribbon but the fabric edge looks sloppy and like it might fray. Any advice?
Attach the fabric to the heat and bond and then attach it to the ribbon. Make sure you use a hot iron or it won't work

Back