Frustration

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 5, 2012
I have been working on my 2 handsprings to full for sooo long I can't even remember when I started working on it. I am Soooooooooooooo close to getting it and I am just sooo frustrated. So I just wanted to know, what do you do when you get frustrated to just calm down adn re-focus? I really need some help.

I would work on something else to get your head out of that skill. So maybe something else new. Once you start working the new thing your head will be a little less focused on the 2 to full and you may go back to it and it will click!

I agree with SparkleSpankies. (weirdest sounding sentence I have ever written)

Frustration in tumbling becomes a vicious circle. The best tumbling occurs when you're clear minded, relaxed, and focused. When you become frustrated or stressed, the body goes through some physiological changes that make tumbling difficult.

For example: Imagine you are with a friend you can tell is stressed out, but when asked about whats wrong, they say nothing. What body language would be present in your friend that would tell you something is wrong without them saying anything?

• Tense, forward leaning, shoulders
  • Looking down or at the floor
  • Tension in the hips, making fast, shorts strides when walking or running.
On top of that, when you are frustrated, negative self talk starts. feelings of doubt, and lack of focus sets in.

When combined, all of these changes lead to less successful attempts at a skill, which will then lead to more frustration... and so on.

When I am teaching and I notice an athlete becoming frustrated with a skill, I usually have them take a break for a few minutes to recompose them self, then work on a different skill for a while.

Back