High School Full Down Help

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 11, 2014
So I'm with a new program this year who has ever stunted before. We've been working hard all summer and they've been picking skills up left and right. However one of my flyers that had her full down all the sudden just can't do it. Nothing happened to frighten her no falls or anything of that nature. I need help and advice getting her through this mental block.

So I'm with a new program this year who has ever stunted before. We've been working hard all summer and they've been picking skills up left and right. However one of my flyers that had her full down all the sudden just can't do it. Nothing happened to frighten her no falls or anything of that nature. I need help and advice getting her through this mental block.

I had a girl like that last year. What I would do is I would 'help' her initiate the spin. I put quotes around 'help' because I literally didn't do anything. I just had her go up to a prep, put my hands on her shins, and then said "I'll start the spin if you finish it." Then when the girls dip, I literally just help throw straight up and she knew the skill well enough to just do it on her own anyway. I literally didn't contribute anything except that fake spotting factor that helps when kids are being mental. Kind of like when a kid has a tumbling pass but refuses to throw it unless you're touching their back.

I like to break the skill down and focus on specific parts. One of my flyers had a beautiful full down, but then started getting stuck. We went back to really clean straight rides, and then I broke the spin down into a few bite sized pieces. I taped an X on her left leg and we concentrated on grabbing the X on 4 (dip 1, 2, ride 3, slap 4) while still doing a straight ride. She started to spin a bit just doing this. Then I stood in the back left corner of her stunt and had her actively look at me while grabbing on 4. VOILA! :) Full downs were beautiful again.

ETA: It took a few practices of these drills to get her full down back to normal.

Any advice for a flyer who has a beautiful full down, had it one practice tried to do it two days later and instead of sitting, she stays straight. Heres a video in case my description confuses anyone haha. Any help would be appreciated! :)

Edited to add that were just starting stunting, some of us have never done it before, so were still learning! :)

Last edited:
Any advice for a flyer who has a beautiful full down, had it one practice tried to do it two days later and instead of sitting, she stays straight. Heres a video in case my description confuses anyone haha. Any help would be appreciated! :)

There are a few issues here, but #1 is that there is absolutely NO throw from the bases. She is spinning while they still have a hold of her foot. Newer bases can be timid about throwing, but make sure they know their job is to throw hard so they have time to catch high. The can't do their job if she is still in their hands. When they do start to throw, the flyer has to wait on the pop and ride it before twisting. Once this happens most of the other issues should be solved by fixing this first.

Overall, your flyer has pretty nice form for the actual spin, however, from the load in, your bases need to use their legs, resist with their arms at their belly buttons, your flyer when she loads in needs to keep her weight in her arms, and be able to pull her own knees up and support her own weight. The bases need to dip and really be aggressive. When they go for the full down, same thing, use their legs and throw the flyer up, then the flyer will have time to spin and be caught high in the cradle position.

I think that a large part of the issue is coming form the bases, They aren't using good technique. They need to set lower to load, use their legs, pop more aggressively, and catch her high. Its hard to see what the flyer can actually do if she has absolutely no throw to ride. She is dropping from the minute she tries to spin and really doesn't even have a chance to lift her hips.

Edited to add that were just starting stunting, some of us have never done it before, so were still learning! :)

Look at her head...she looks directly behind her, and finds the area where the wall meets the ceiling with her eyes. If she will tuck her chin to her shoulder and look at her back, the body will follow the eyes and back into a cradle she shall go.

Back