Full Trouble

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 3, 2013
i am a level four cheerleader, i have a solid half and i can land it at all times. i go for the full, and i just do a half! i have been given tips by everyone at my gym, and nothing seems to help! sometimes ill land a little more then a half, but never a full rotation. HELP!!

Try thinking in parts. Land a half, then literally jump turn 180 degrees to finish. Keep doing that, completing the last 180 degrees earlier and earlier each time after you land. Soon you'll be able to complete your twist just as your toes are hitting the ground, so you can work on fusing the two halves together in the air. This is how I learned!

From your description, I will bet that as you get around that half, you are spotting the wall. You might not be continuously trying to, but looking at the wall as you get around will stop you from twisting any further. It is just like how when doing a standing tuck, you should not look at the floor, or you will have a hard time getting your chest up at the end.

To continue twisting, and fix this unconscious action, you will need to focus on where you should be looking, consciously. Try to look (almost) over your shoulder. I say "almost," because you will need to be sure to keep your head, and neck, in a "neutral position."

Head in a "neutral position" means that your neck should NOT be flexed forward, and also should NOT be extended backwards. instead your head should be held with your skull and spine right over your shoulders, just like when you walk.

If you think "look over my shoulder," you will have a tendency to extend your neck. Instead look AT your shoulder.

When I got stuck on a 1-1/2, working my double, I had the same issue. It took a little while to fix. Just do it over, and over, and over, until you get it right. Once you know what you need to fix. It's more about doing enough repetitions to feel it. Don't get overwhelmed by constant different people telling you what to do. Focus on one thing at a time.

But if you read thing and said: "hmm I don't look at anything, I close my eyes!" Than STOP trying to to progress, and go work on getting comfortable opening your eyes. Tumbling with your eyes shut is dangerous, and could lead to SERIOUS injuries. Your body uses sight as one of it's primarily senses to tell where it in space. If you need proof, try to stand on one foot. Than after your stable, close your eyes. You will notice it balancing will get remarkably harder.

Shutting off your brains sight will challenge your body's other spacial awareness senses. (vestibular sense and proprioceptive sense, if you were interested) While it's not safe to tumble while your eyes are closed, d0ing safe, controlled exercises with them closed it is a great way to improve your balance, strength, and muscular efficiency and reaction time! All of this will help your tumbling progress even more, faster!

Anyways, I'm getting off topic. I hope this answers your question, and helps you progress further!

If you have any more questions, reply or feel free to send me an email [email protected]

-Coach Matt
Full-Out: Cheer & Fitness

Back