Fulls & Show N Go's Without Backspots

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 7, 2011
Hello! We are preparing for Nationals and had to let a girl go for grades, so I have been changing around our routine a lot. I have a quick question about stunting:

For USA High School Show Cheer Novice Division (Varsity), is a full without a backspot legal? If so, is a show-n-go without a backspot legal as well?

Thanks for your help! :D

I'm not sure about the High SChool rules, but for All-Star USASF rules, anything extended needs a spotter. This doesn't mean a technical back spot though. You can do a full or show-n-go with two bases. You just have to make sure that one of the bases has a grip on the ankle of the flier as well as the foot.

Hmm, that sounds like it could be similar to USA rules. That is what I am looking for, two bases and a flyer in a full. If we could do that as long as one base has angle and foot, that would be perfect *crosses fingers* If anyone has the answer please let me know!! Thanks Mandi for your input :)

USA follows AACCA rules, therefore you CANNOT have the spotter have hands on both the ankle and the foot like you can with USASF.

2011-12 School Cheerleading Rules

1. Partner stunts (free-standing or as part of a pyramid) higher than shoulder stand level must have a separate, continuous spotter for each person over shoulder stand level.
2. In single-based extended stunts, the spotter may not support under the heel or sole of the top person's foot. They may hold at the ankle of the top person and/or the wrist of the base or any combination thereof.
So you could have one base hold both feet and the other base hold both ankles - that would be legal.
I know all about having to change around routines at the last minute due to grades (we went from 21 to 16!!!! this season, arrrrrgggghhhh!) so feel free to PM me with additional details and I can help you rearrange things if you want.

You could do true single based stunts where the base is holding the co-ed style grip and the backspot holds ankles.

Ah, that is exactly what I was looking for, unfortunately. lol Sorry for the late response, it's been a crazy few weeks. But thank you for offering to help SarahS, and Mandi Spina, that was what my plan was but my girls are somewhat weak when it comes to difficult stunting. When we lost one girl to grades, we tried to revamp the routine to make it work, but ultimately the routine was choreographed for 15 girls and with 14 there are some really great visual effects that would be lost because the girls just aren't ready for the more difficult stunts they would need. They were struggling A LOT. So we had to make the best decision for the team and decided to bring the alternate up. The whole season I had been against using our alternate unless it was an emergency, which in this case we actually did have enough time to make changes, but the other coaches were for it, and it really was what was best for the team, so I agreed. Anyways, I made all those changes to work for 14 girls, and then I had to change it back to 15. But it really was worth it. Once the alternate came to practice and they re-learned all formations and choreo for the bajillionth time, they were hitting stunts a lot stronger, and weren't getting nearly as tired. Hopefully we will be ready by Nationals!! Thanks for your help ladies :)

Back