All-Star Gabi's New Gym And Team Announcement 7/6/15

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Stop bullying your child!

Calling your own child a gym rat = term of affection
Calling someone else's child a gym rat = not something complimentary and I'd avoid doing unless I intended it to be taken that way

This. At one point I referred to CP as a gym rat; and she was by definition, in the gym one summer for as much as 10 hours a week. However, the first time someone else referred to her a gym rat it rubbed me the wrong way and I dropped it from my vocabulary.

There is no doubt that Gabi has talent but I don't think it is because of the gyms she was at. It is because she has a natural athletic gift and was fortunate enough to have some great coaches to help develop her skills. She could have been at some small unknown gyms and still been a fiercely elite level all star cheerleader with the proper coaching. The big name gyms though are what helped make her known.

**spy games, let the fun begin**
@littlestALLSTAR I'm curious why this was deemed bullying? No need to fix it, just curious.

How am I just now learning Gabi went to Trinity? Wut.
And where does the line get drawn about the liability? I would hope they wouldn't actually be spotting tumbling not being certified. I always just kinda assumed these clinics were more like meet and greets or open gyms, I guess. If they're just there, teaching a dance or showing off stunts or something, how much danger are they really in?
Now, if they're working hands on with kids- which the more I think about it is likely- then yeah, they could be pretty vulnerable.
PS how does Robert think he can be taken seriously after that music video catastrophe he was a part of *snorts*

The clinics are not just meet and greets. They are tumbling, stunting, spotting and providing instruction. Never thought about that before we attended a few because I didn't know what to expect but these were hands on clinics. I will say that I took my cp to Gabi's clinic this summer and it was extremely well run and the instructors were very professional. I have been to clinics at large gyms with full time coaches that were not so well run so I was happily surprised.

Last edited:
The clinics are not just meet and greets. They are tumbling, stunting, spotting and providing instruction. Never thought about that before we attended a few because I didn't know what to expect but these were hands on clinics. I will say that I took my cp to Gabi's clinic this summer and it was extremely well run and the instructors were very professional. I have been to clinics at large gyms with full time coaches that were not so well run so I was happily surprised.
Ditto all this. My CP attended one last week and it was great. Lots of hands on instruction, kids gaining new skills and having fun. Very well run and organized. I took some video and showed it to my CP'S coach and she was very impressed with the level of instruction and corrections being given as well.

I agree that the world ''bullying'' shouldn't be taken lightly. I also agree that stating one's opinion doesn't necessarily count as bullying. However, when you have an adult calling a child names like "punkass"...well I'm not sure how that doesn't count as bullying. JMO.

I think that's Mr. Butlers point. It's not cool to call people names and use derogatory language. The internet tends to take the sting out of words at times but if JP was standing over Gabi and saying his hashtags, it would be a different story. He'd clearly be bullying her. Especially considering he's said things about her before.

Last edited:
Since it's been called into question, perhaps a quick google search can help us all gain some perspective on bullying.

Bullying - to use superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force him or her to do what one wants.

Seems to me the post in question fits this definition. The bottom line is that someone who teaches children should never be calling them a "punka##" or making fun of them for attending 4 gyms in 5 years. Don't get me wrong, Gabi is a strong kid and really wasn't phased by it. However, that doesn't make it right. The reference to suicide was only to demonstrate that it does happen and the fact that even something small like that could set a weaker person down the wrong path. Of course there was never a concern about it happening in this instance, but again, other children might not be so strong. A beautiful young 17 year old from Midwest Cheer Elite just recently ended her life. From what I understand, there was no indications she was hurting. Imagine if the tweet had been aimed at her, would your feelings be any different? My reference was only to highlight the seriousness of personal attacks on social media, especially with children, and especially when it is an adult, much less a coach, doing the attacking. I also disagree that it's not bullying if it is only 1 time. If that were the case, then that would mean that any cheer coaches can feel free to go on twitter and call any of their kids any name they want if they are frustrated or upset with them as long as it is just one time? I don't think so. One time is too many.

The purpose for my post was not to make the world hate the individual who did this. We all make mistakes. It was more to simply identify what I perceive to be a problem in the hopes that some positive discussion and correction could come from it. Having a humble spirit is not easy in today's world, but I stand firm behind our belief that a humble spirit and attitude is a vital key to success. All this would have been much less magnified if the person in question had simply issued an apology for a reckless and irresponsible tweet. Instead, they chose to defend it and deflect, not exactly the definition of humility. As teachers we have to display a humble character. We have to show our children that we are not infallible, that we too make mistakes sometimes. If we admit those mistakes and make our apology, the children watching us so closely will grow up to be the same way. I'd much rather have a world of humble athletes willing to recognize their mistakes and willing to try to do better than a world full of athletes who think they can't do anything wrong and who will defend an improper action to the end. That's just my extra 2 cents.

Last edited:
Since it's been called into question, perhaps a quick google search can help us all gain some perspective on bullying.

Bullying - to use superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force him or her to do what one wants.

Seems to me the post in question fits this definition. The bottom line is that someone who teaches children should never be calling them a "punka##" or making fun of them for attending 4 gyms in 5 years. Don't get me wrong, Gabi is a strong kid and really wasn't phased by it. However, that doesn't make it right. The reference to suicide was only to demonstrate that it does happen and the fact that even something small like that could set a weaker person down the wrong path. Of course there was never a concern about it happening in this instance, but again, other children might not be so strong. A beautiful young 17 year old from Midwest Cheer Elite just recently ended her life. From what I understand, there was no indications she was hurting. Imagine if the tweet had been aimed at her, would your feelings be any different? My reference was only to highlight the seriousness of personal attacks on social media, especially with children, and especially when it is an adult, much less a coach, doing the attacking. I also disagree that it's not bullying if it is only 1 time. If that were the case, then that would mean that any cheer coaches can feel free to go on twitter and call any of their kids any name they want if they are frustrated or upset with them as long as it is just one time? I don't think so. One time is too many.

The purpose for my post was not to make the world hate the individual who did this. We all make mistakes. It was more to simply identify what I perceive to be a problem in the hopes that some positive discussion and correction could come from it. Having a humble spirit is not easy in today's world, but I stand firm behind our belief that a humble spirit and attitude is a vital key to success. All this would have been much less magnified if the person in question had simply issued an apology for a reckless and irresponsible tweet. Instead, they chose to defend it and deflect, not exactly the definition of humility. As teachers we have to display a humble character. We have to show our children that we are not infallible, that we too make mistakes sometimes. If we admit those mistakes and make our apology, the children watching us so closely will grow up to be the same way. I'd much rather have a world of humble athletes willing to recognize their mistakes and willing to try to do better than a world full of athletes who think they can't do anything wrong and who will defend an improper action to the end. That's just my extra 2 cents.

@John Butler What the coach did/said was unethical and it was wrong to single her out knowing she isn't the only kid who switches gyms yearly. I don't think that anyone on this board is really saying what happened is okay, I didn't get that feel at all, but I think what they're saying is; is that you shouldn't expect people to be so apologetic when your child is basically a star. Once when you give that "okay" for your child to be in the spotlight you should be open to the fact that your child regardless of age and success will get criticism. Including those who were once close to her. Again, its not okay and its very unethical, but you can't stop it. People these days don't care that your child is a minor, or that she is indeed very successful. We have freedom of speech and people are going to use it however they please. The most you can do as a parent is to teach your kid to be better than that. Not get upset every time someone says something negative about your child. It won't be first, and it won't last time a coach will say something about her. Its sad, and its a parents natural reaction to be upset, but again, I guess what they're saying is, you can't expect people to be apologetic about it, or even agree with it. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I"m taking from this from both sides.

And this....is why I personally have an issue with the current Cheerlebrity craze. These young adults want all the fame and to be in the spot light. They want to travel the world and be adored by thousands of fans...yet want to act out at the first bit of negativity thrown their way. Think of your favorite actor, singer, professional athlete...anyone with actual talent. I assure you they have their share of hate mail every day. You cannot be a public figure and expect everyone to like you. And you sure as heck can't run and cry bullying every time someone chooses to voice their opinion. JMO

And this....is why I personally have an issue with the current Cheerlebrity craze. These young adults want all the fame and to be in the spot light. They want to travel the world and be adored by thousands of fans...yet want to act out at the first bit of negativity thrown their way. Think of your favorite actor, singer, professional athlete...anyone with actual talent. I assure you they have their share of hate mail every day. You cannot be a public figure and expect everyone to like you. And you sure as heck can't run and cry bullying every time someone chooses to voice their opinion. JMO
OK, now I'm confused. Please define... How did she "act out"? That one has me baffled. Not to mention, you are completely missing the point.

My daughter could care less about the comment. Do you honestly think this is the first time she has had negative comments on social media? I only commented on this thread because there was a lot of deflecting and defending of the comment because others felt he had the right intentions. My only point, that I continue to try to impress, is that intent does not excuse insulting a child publically on social media, especially if you are a coach. Coaches are supposed to hold themselves to a higher standard, just like doctors in patient care or lawyers with respect to upholding the law. When you are a teacher, you cannot behave this way. You are teaching these impressionable young athletes that it is ok to behave that way. They turn around and call a kid at their school a "punka##" and think it's ok because their coach did it on Twitter. I coached diving for 7 years. During that time, I learned very quickly that when you are a coach your opinion of your athletes is very important to them. Many take your comments to heart.

This continues to be the drum I am pounding on. I don't expect anyone to apologize, especially a repeat offender who has done this many times in the past. History tells me he thinks he has the right to insult children even though he is a teacher regardless of the situation. What I'm simply saying is this position is wrong. We can either minimize it or identify it and seek to change it. Change can occur in the form of us changing ourselves or as us not tolerating or minimizing it. The choice is up to you. It's very possible that I stand alone on my belief that a child should never be insulted on a public social media platform by any coach and if that's the case, I'm happy to stand firm by myself in this belief. My grandma always taught me, stand for something or you'll fall for anything!

if you cant take criticism. then maybe you shouldnt force yourself into the spotlight. To use someones young age as to why she should be handled with kids gloves is a cop out to me. These cheerlebrities choose to have very public twitter and instagram accounts, they choose to start youtube channels and clinics, promote items, etc. They choose to do that, and as a parent you choose to let them. Welcome to the real world, when you start real world businesses no one is no longer going to care that she was a well known "famous" cheerleader, or that since she's under the age of 18 she needs to be treated like a child, um no she's a teenager taking on a very adult decision and choosing to run a business. The "he picked on a child" plea becomes irrelevant at that point.

OK, now I'm confused. Please define... How did she "act out"? That one has me baffled. Not to mention, you are completely missing the point.

My daughter could care less about the comment. Do you honestly think this is the first time she has had negative comments on social media? I only commented on this thread because there was a lot of deflecting and defending of the comment because others felt he had the right intentions. My only point, that I continue to try to impress, is that intent does not excuse insulting a child publically on social media, especially if you are a coach. Coaches are supposed to hold themselves to a higher standard, just like doctors in patient care or lawyers with respect to upholding the law. When you are a teacher, you cannot behave this way. You are teaching these impressionable young athletes that it is ok to behave that way. They turn around and call a kid at their school a "punka##" and think it's ok because their coach did it on Twitter. I coached diving for 7 years. During that time, I learned very quickly that when you are a coach your opinion of your athletes is very important to them. Many take your comments to heart.

This continues to be the drum I am pounding on. I don't expect anyone to apologize, especially a repeat offender who has done this many times in the past. History tells me he thinks he has the right to insult children even though he is a teacher regardless of the situation. What I'm simply saying is this position is wrong. We can either minimize it or identify it and seek to change it. Change can occur in the form of us changing ourselves or as us not tolerating or minimizing it. The choice is up to you. It's very possible that I stand alone on my belief that a child should never be insulted on a public social media platform by any coach and if that's the case, I'm happy to stand firm by myself in this belief. My grandma always taught me, stand for something or you'll fall for anything!
You are not alone on this stand! I think he was completely out of line... I'm so over coaches/owners acting like juveniles on social media!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My only advice to you is to block the coach who is constantly saying things about your child. Its never going to end to be honest

Back