Gaining Confidence In New Skills

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 27, 2014
Hey everyone! I would love to hear your opinions/advice.

I am definitely a mental tumbler. I overthink things, and it often takes me longer to learn new skills because of fear. A lot of times, I will have a skill solid, but even after throwing it countless times, it still takes quite a lot of coercion and will to throw it. I have had my back handspring solid for the past six months (with very good technique), yet I can't collect enough confidence to throw skills by myself consistently and easily. I feel as if I haven't made any progress and only maintain the skills I have. Do you guys have any tips to gain confidence in new skills when you are a mental tumbler? Thanks! :D

with whatever skills you're working on, when you get to training start out having the skill spotted, then work on doing it by yourself. then do it lots and lots. If you need to, use mats/ a tumble track. Doing a skill heaps and heaps helps me get over my mental blocks :)

Hey everyone! I would love to hear your opinions/advice.

I am definitely a mental tumbler. I overthink things, and it often takes me longer to learn new skills because of fear. A lot of times, I will have a skill solid, but even after throwing it countless times, it still takes quite a lot of coercion and will to throw it. I have had my back handspring solid for the past six months (with very good technique), yet I can't collect enough confidence to throw skills by myself consistently and easily. I feel as if I haven't made any progress and only maintain the skills I have. Do you guys have any tips to gain confidence in new skills when you are a mental tumbler? Thanks! :D
I've found cp does not want to throw something on her own until she feels she is completely ready, but once she does so she lands it beautifully and consistently. I've learned that she works on her own timetable and she's not going to do something she feels she is not mentally ready to do even though her coach feels she is ready. I have seen though that for her it's basically a big hurdle she has to decide herself she's ready to jump over and once she does she realizes everyone around her was right and she was really ready to move on to the next skill. Sometimes you just have to trust that your coach sees you are physically ready and jump over that hurdle regardless of how scary it may seem - the first time is always the hardest and it just gets better from there.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Girl I feel you. I'm SO scared when I do new skills. For me, once I throw it and land it once, I can be consistent. I'm still scared, but the fear lessens with each time I throw it myself. It's like I don't trust myself, but once I prove to myself I can do it, I slowly start to trust myself. But if you can throw it by yourself and still not have that moment where it clicks and gets consistent, you might just want to stop freaking out and keep doing it with a spot for a while. That's what I did with my standing tucks - I threw it but it didn't click- and I just got frustrated, so I decided to just chill out and keep doing it with a spot to build muscle memory. Eventually I got tired of having to ask for a spot every time and was just like "coach, make me do it." So she stood by me and encouraged me and slowly took her hand away, and I did it!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Back