All-Star General Idea of Team Placement

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 9, 2024
Child is 6 years old - turns 7 this summer.

She has a Forward Roll, Cartwheel, round off, backwalkover, backwalkover switch leg, frontwalkover (still needs a little work).
She can do connected skills (ex. Cartwheel Bwo Bwo, etc.)
Just started doing her standing BHS on the floor without a spotter - still needs work on technique (slightly bent arms)

I am no expert but this sounds like she’s most likely going to be level one? Especially since she has specialty passes at level one (connected skills ending in BWO), but no level 2 skills yet.

sounds like she would mostly likely be on a mini elite level 1 team (if your gym has one). it depends on how strict your gym is about having certain skills though.

Without knowing the age makeup of the other kids trying out and/or the teams tumbling and stunting needs (backspot, base, flyer) it is almost impossible to speculate if she would be on a Tiny or Mini team. If I assume at tryouts this gym has enough athletes to field both a Tiny and Mini team, it would boil down to individual team needs and where she is the best fit. If she's a tall seven, she could be a great base or back for a Tiny team. If she's a tiny seven, she could be a good fit for a flyer on either a Tiny or Mini team. Coaches will ponder size/strength and every skill set to build the most competitive teams.

Just a side note. For new AS parents, "age" elgibility and overall team competitiveness are what coaches are looking for when fielding teams. I'm not directing this to you, every parent is curious about team placement, but just realize there will be those few parents who think their athlete being placed on the older age elgible team is better somehow. There have been parents who have pulled their kids because they (or their child) don't want to be with "the babies." My two cents as a parent of now two adult children, is leadership opportunities don't come often.

Without knowing the age makeup of the other kids trying out and/or the teams tumbling and stunting needs (backspot, base, flyer) it is almost impossible to speculate if she would be on a Tiny or Mini team. If I assume at tryouts this gym has enough athletes to field both a Tiny and Mini team, it would boil down to individual team needs and where she is the best fit. If she's a tall seven, she could be a great base or back for a Tiny team. If she's a tiny seven, she could be a good fit for a flyer on either a Tiny or Mini team. Coaches will ponder size/strength and every skill set to build the most competitive teams.

Just a side note. For new AS parents, "age" elgibility and overall team competitiveness are what coaches are looking for when fielding teams. I'm not directing this to you, every parent is curious about team placement, but just realize there will be those few parents who think their athlete being placed on the older age elgible team is better somehow. There have been parents who have pulled their kids because they (or their child) don't want to be with "the babies." My two cents as a parent of now two adult children, is leadership opportunities don't come often.
Thank you for the feedback! The 2024/25 season will be her 4th year cheering. She started just before her 3rd birthday. She's been on the Tiny Novice w/R thus far. There is some talk about possibly having two tiny teams next year as the skill level between those whove been cheering a few years vs kids that are brand new is very evident. The gym also has Mini aged teams as well.

I totally understand all of the elements that go into placements, i was just looking for a general opinions. I haven been coaching cheerleading 20+ years, but its for a school program so placements are a bit different. Thanks again for you the feedback.

Knowing nothing but age and tumble skills, I would guess a Tiny team. I base this only on the fact many Tiny and Mini coaches prefer having their athletes on the higher end of the age grid, as well as, what you just posted about the talk of two Tiny teams above.

With you being a long time coach, you have a good idea of who is leaving, who's staying, and a good percentage of who's trying out. In that respect, AS isn't different. Coaches are watching and mentally placing and recruiting athletes all year long from, in this case, their Novice/Prep/Tiny Elite teams and tumble classes . They are taking mental notes of skill, strength, flexibility, body control, technique, maturity, and coachability. You basically answered your own question when you said there's a big difference between the skilled/cheered a few years and the new. It sounds like they have already discussed having a more competitive Tiny team and a learning/maturing (possibly Prep?) Tiny team.
Lol, however, if she has a skill or attribute needed on the Mini team, she will end up there.

Knowing nothing but age and tumble skills, I would guess a Tiny team. I base this only on the fact many Tiny and Mini coaches prefer having their athletes on the higher end of the age grid, as well as, what you just posted about the talk of two Tiny teams above.

With you being a long time coach, you have a good idea of who is leaving, who's staying, and a good percentage of who's trying out. In that respect, AS isn't different. Coaches are watching and mentally placing and recruiting athletes all year long from, in this case, their Novice/Prep/Tiny Elite teams and tumble classes . They are taking mental notes of skill, strength, flexibility, body control, technique, maturity, and coachability. You basically answered your own question when you said there's a big difference between the skilled/cheered a few years and the new. It sounds like they have already discussed having a more competitive Tiny team and a learning/maturing (possibly Prep?) Tiny team.
Lol, however, if she has a skill or attribute needed on the Mini team, she will end up there.
I think if there is a more competitive tiny team, they will want her there for the talent, but I think this would be the last year she is eligible for Tiny's. This past season there was supposed to be two tiny teams also, but then they ended up just sticking with one instead. So I'm hoping that's not the case for next year.

Thanks again.

Back