Get Me Up To Speed

• Thread starter Deleted member 46542
  • Start date

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Should I offer my time to help? Maybe volunteer time to teach some new cheers?

• Leave my nose out of it, the season will be over soon.

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • Take the captain over to the side and talk with her about how she likes being on the squad.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 46542

I was a cheerleader a long time ago - 1976-1977 in High School.

The reason I have decided to join the group is to learn if the Cheerleading Squad at our small town High School is as bad as I think it is, or am I just too old fashioned. Probably a little bit of both.

My 17 year old son is on the Varsity Football team this year, so my husband and I are going to the games for the first time since he has been in High School. He has been playing varsity soccer.

I have been to two games and am appalled at the Cheerleading Squad.

Full disclosure - I was captain of our squad in my senior year. That was due mostly to the fact that I liked to organize and plan out our pep rallies, enlist and help paint signs, work with the Boosters on events - you get the idea. I depended on a girl on our squad who really knew football. She had three older brothers - all who played football at Penn State. So she called the cheers for the most part since she knew the game inside and out. She did give us all a course in the referee signals.

We were a very enthusiastic team. We could get the crowd going. We smiled and encouraged participation with our face to the crowd while cheering 75-80% of the time.

Here are my doubts about the squad I am seeing at the games.

1. The Coach is a femalePolice Office assigned to the school and I don't think she has ever been a cheerleader.
Her assistant was a cheerleader, but she does not pay any attention to what the squad is doing, more interested in who is paying attention to her.
2. The Coach is sitting on a Gatorade cooler during the game but barking out cheer suggestions. In fact they have little debates about what cheer to do next! We always had our Offense and Defense "Playlist" set. So when an appropriate cheer was called - we counted off - set - and rocked it. And our Coach was all over us at practice but she had us so tight, she rarely got involved - other than keeping an eye on us. Which leads me to
3. The girls are always chatting between cheers and not watching the game. Only about 20% smile when they are cheering
4. I understand our society is working very hard at not body shaming. But I stop letting a bigger person slide when their weight is clearly threatening their heart health. There is a difference between being round and curvy but healthy and being obese. There are two girls on cheer that are at least 60 pounds over a healthy weight.
7. 75% of the cheers/chants end on a down beat. It;s hard to describe inwrapping - "PUSH 'EM BACK,SHOVE 'EM BACK, way back."
40 yard line to the 30 to the 20 to the 10 until you make that goal line.
There is no enthusiasm!
8. When a player got injured it took s
o long for all of the players to get on one knee. And the girls weren't even paying attention while the trainers and a doctor were out on the field.
They don't stop cheering when a penalty flag is thrown on the play. We always did.
And the worst was when out team was down about 34 to 10, thee was one minute 30 seconds left in the game and they start a Cheer that went: P.O.W. POW we will win - and how" cheer.

I feel like volunteering to help out. Or have a chat with their Coach. She and I have spoken before, during a wrestling match. It was casual, but nice.

I welcome your input!

I was a cheerleader a long time ago - 1976-1977 in High School.

The reason I have decided to join the group is to learn if the Cheerleading Squad at our small town High School is as bad as I think it is, or am I just too old fashioned. Probably a little bit of both.

My 17 year old son is on the Varsity Football team this year, so my husband and I are going to the games for the first time since he has been in High School. He has been playing varsity soccer.

I have been to two games and am appalled at the Cheerleading Squad.

Full disclosure - I was captain of our squad in my senior year. That was due mostly to the fact that I liked to organize and plan out our pep rallies, enlist and help paint signs, work with the Boosters on events - you get the idea. I depended on a girl on our squad who really knew football. She had three older brothers - all who played football at Penn State. So she called the cheers for the most part since she knew the game inside and out. She did give us all a course in the referee signals.

We were a very enthusiastic team. We could get the crowd going. We smiled and encouraged participation with our face to the crowd while cheering 75-80% of the time.

Here are my doubts about the squad I am seeing at the games.

1. The Coach is a femalePolice Office assigned to the school and I don't think she has ever been a cheerleader.
Her assistant was a cheerleader, but she does not pay any attention to what the squad is doing, more interested in who is paying attention to her.
2. The Coach is sitting on a Gatorade cooler during the game but barking out cheer suggestions. In fact they have little debates about what cheer to do next! We always had our Offense and Defense "Playlist" set. So when an appropriate cheer was called - we counted off - set - and rocked it. And our Coach was all over us at practice but she had us so tight, she rarely got involved - other than keeping an eye on us. Which leads me to
3. The girls are always chatting between cheers and not watching the game. Only about 20% smile when they are cheering
4. I understand our society is working very hard at not body shaming. But I stop letting a bigger person slide when their weight is clearly threatening their heart health. There is a difference between being round and curvy but healthy and being obese. There are two girls on cheer that are at least 60 pounds over a healthy weight.
7. 75% of the cheers/chants end on a down beat. It;s hard to describe inwrapping - "PUSH 'EM BACK,SHOVE 'EM BACK, way back."
40 yard line to the 30 to the 20 to the 10 until you make that goal line.
There is no enthusiasm!
8. When a player got injured it took s
o long for all of the players to get on one knee. And the girls weren't even paying attention while the trainers and a doctor were out on the field.
They don't stop cheering when a penalty flag is thrown on the play. We always did.
And the worst was when out team was down about 34 to 10, thee was one minute 30 seconds left in the game and they start a Cheer that went: P.O.W. POW we will win - and how" cheer.

I feel like volunteering to help out. Or have a chat with their Coach. She and I have spoken before, during a wrestling match. It was casual, but nice.

I welcome your input!
Deleted my response because I didn't read fully after #3.

Last edited:
Commenting on the weight of other people's children and saying they shouldn't be allowed to cheer because of it is just wrong. I was a heavy kid who was very athletic, given your attitude I shouldn't have been on the field. Frankly, you have no right to discriminate based in weight if they can get the job done. I wouldn't want you advising my child's team with the attitude that fat girls must go. It's offensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheerleading is not what it was in the 70s. Girls who are serious about it as a sport have joined all-star teams and cannot cheer for school teams. Even if it is a small town and you may not be aware of all-star teams, girls may be going to other towns for them. I am guessing the same goes for coaches.

There has been a lot of red tape added to cheer over the years. In the 90s we used lots of music not just in half time but we performed to a lot of 15-30 second bits during time outs and between quarters which always got the crowd pumped up
Now, that would cost teams a fortune because performance rights need to be purchased to all music even at games. We live in very different times.

I have to agree with others on your opinion on the overweight girls. It is exponentially harder for them to get out there and cheer. And you really have no right to judge, especially when this is an opportunity for them to get healthier, in your opinion. With that kind of opinion, I don't think you have a right to speak to the coach or "volunteer" to make them into something they are not.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

You lost your right to have any respect from me on #4. MYOB and watch your kid play football. I'm sure before too long you will be complaining about that coaching staff too.
Thank you! That is exactly what I needed to hear!

Commenting on the weight of other people's children and saying they shouldn't be allowed to cheer because of it is just wrong. I was a heavy kid who was very athletic, given your attitude I shouldn't have been on the field. Frankly, you have no right to discriminate based in weight if they can get the job done. I wouldn't want you advising my child's team with the attitude that fat girls must go. It's offensive.

Sorry, I don't think you understand what I wrote. I don't care how much any of us weigh! But if it is threatening Heart Health, it must be addressed. Especially in younger people.

Like other posters, I definitely stopped reading this post due to #4 too. I was in HS during the late 70-early 80s and I saw how much body shaming negatively affected girls and hindered girls from fully participating in healthy activities... I am quite pleased to know that all body sizes are being appreciated now and being pleasingly plump should not hinder or affect how well you can cheer and be a positive school role model...
Thus,
You lost credibility with this statement with me and I will advise you to stay away from the cheer squad...

Sorry, I don't think you understand what I wrote. I don't care how much any of us weigh! But if it is threatening Heart Health, it must be addressed. Especially in younger people.

No, you said you would stop "letting it slide" the implication was clear. You have NO idea what those girls medical situation is and NO business judging wether they are healthy or at risk, period.

Where did you go to school for Cardiology if you don't mind me asking? Now assuming you can't actually answer that question, who in the world do YOU think YOU are to approach a coach or a team of girl's, of which you have zero ties to, and think it's okay to put your own mark on them. Do you have any idea what these athletes medical files look like? How about their genetics? Or medications? You are not their doctor and I guarantee you, if their health is in jeopardy, their doctors are talking to them and their parents.

Point blank, it's none of your business how this team is run and if you don't like it, don't watch them. But you are the last person in this world I would want around my children and I guarantee you if those cheerleaders parents saw what you wrote here, they'd say the exact same thing.

Where did you go to school for Cardiology if you don't mind me asking? Now assuming you can't actually answer that question, who in the world do YOU think YOU are to approach a coach or a team of girl's, of which you have zero ties to, and think it's okay to put your own mark on them. Do you have any idea what these athletes medical files look like? How about their genetics? Or medications? You are not their doctor and I guarantee you, if their health is in jeopardy, their doctors are talking to them and their parents.

Point blank, it's none of your business how this team is run and if you don't like it, don't watch them. But you are the last person in this world I would want around my children and I guarantee you if those cheerleaders parents saw what you wrote here, they'd say the exact same thing.

If the athletes on the cheer squad are concerned with their coaching, let them talk to the AD and request more support. In all honesty, it's not that big of deal. Your son isn't going to be negatively impacted by the cheer squad, so I'd let it go. Focus on your own kids and their sports.

And just a fair warning, there are a lot of momma bears on here that will quickly defend any child that is put in a negative light. We are here to discuss cheer, not to judge athletes on things we know nothing about.

Tough Crowd. I can't see you but I know what you look like! Actually I think that was you with your fat a** jammed into a pair of leggings that you have no business wearing.

Back