All-Star Getting Caught...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@ImALiLRebL, since you seem to have a source familiar with this, I have to ask. Are the parents at Hurricanes condoning this cheating, upset with owners, or just disappointed they were caught?

**Long time lurker, first time poster**

Cheaters will continue to cheat until the consequences are so severe they can't take the risk. Gym wide immediate end of season. USASF membership revoked. USASF credentialing revoked. Major gym fee owed to the USASF for the following 2 seasons. Not being allowed to return to that brand for 5 seasons. Not being allowed to return to any USASF competition for the next 2 seasons. The list could go on. Until the punishment is huge, then they will risk it and try to get away with it. Yes there will be someone that is innocent that gets screwed over, but it won't take many to get that message across to everyone. If I were an innocent parent at this hypothetical cheating gym and my season + money were lost, you better believe I would be mad enough not to return to this gym and I would ensure I was on top of it at my next gym. If an owner sees their livelihood in jeopardy they probably wont cheat or let a coach under them cheat. This is something that can pretty much be a non issue if the follow through and punishments are there. Until that happens, anyone is welcome to cheat because a minor slap on the wrist is all it is.

Why attack this issue on the backside? If FC's athletes are required to show a State ID to prevent future cheating, then prevent cheating and have all athletes show a State ID when entering warmups. If a program or parents are willing to make fraudulent government id's to try to outwit the system, then press charges for attempting fraud at an event with a monetary award when bids are involved.

Cheaters will continue to cheat until the consequences are so severe they can't take the risk. Gym wide immediate end of season. USASF membership revoked. USASF credentialing revoked. Major gym fee owed to the USASF for the following 2 seasons. Not being allowed to return to that brand for 5 seasons. Not being allowed to return to any USASF competition for the next 2 seasons. The list could go on. Until the punishment is huge, then they will risk it and try to get away with it. Yes there will be someone that is innocent that gets screwed over, but it won't take many to get that message across to everyone. If I were an innocent parent at this hypothetical cheating gym and my season + money were lost, you better believe I would be mad enough not to return to this gym and I would ensure I was on top of it at my next gym. If an owner sees their livelihood in jeopardy they probably wont cheat or let a coach under them cheat. This is something that can pretty much be a non issue if the follow through and punishments are there. Until that happens, anyone is welcome to cheat because a minor slap on the wrist is all it is.
Agree 100%.

@ImALiLRebL, since you seem to have a source familiar with this, I have to ask. Are the parents at Hurricanes condoning this cheating, upset with owners, or just disappointed they were caught?

**Long time lurker, first time poster**
This, I'm not 100% on. Right now, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot being said. Unfortunately, it seems they have not been told the truth. Many still are not aware. The ones that are aware know only what they were told. & it appears that what they were told was that it was not the fault of the gym, that it was an "emergency" situation & only happened once. They weren't told that it was even more than 1 team that they were busted for. Since they can not be forced to disclose this info, it's likely many will never even know that their child's team was cheating much less disqualified & if they do find out, they will only know as much as they are told. Many parents don't even realize that there are age requirement rules set by USASF. I guess if I were sitting there with no clue about USASF rules, etc then I would probably believe them too. That's what is really sad.
I really wish there was a requirement to disclose disqualifications related to intentional cheating. It is something I would definitely take into consideration before placing my child somewhere & think all parents should have a right accurate info as opposed to rumors or hear say before placing their child somewhere.
I know winning is great, but I'd rather have my child @ a gym with integrity over trophies.

Last edited:
They only admitted because they got caught. They didn't bother to admit to all the other comps where they did the same thing. Yes, there is evidence & hopefully they will be fully investigated. The poor parents (most of them) have NO clue!!

Okay on person listed that the owner's child was involved so that the owner knew. There is no way that an involved parent would not know who the owner's child is and that they were on teams they did not qualified age wise. Those that did not need to be more involved in where they have their child and where their money goes.

Why attack this issue on the backside? If FC's athletes are required to show a State ID to prevent future cheating, then prevent cheating and have all athletes show a State ID when entering warmups. If a program or parents are willing to make fraudulent government id's to try to outwit the system, then press charges for attempting fraud at an event with a monetary award when bids are involved.

Given that every state has their own laws on this issue, it may not be realistic for every Tiny or Mini aged kid to even be able to be issued a state ID, therefore, you'd be telling the parents to go poney up for a passport instead. The additional cost/time required would likely draw away as many parents as the ones who'd do it---especially among the younger athletes. The whole purpose of the $30 I spent for my CP's USASF membership is so they have her BC and a headshot to compare her to; if that isn't enough, then do way with the $30 I have to spend and I'll go poney up $20 to get her a FL ID. Thankfully she's over 5 so she can get one, but I would outright refuse to pay for both.

IMO, if cheating was dealt with more severely this wouldn't be an issue. But because USASF refuses to take a hardball stance on it, we'll continue to see it.

Do does usasf require a new photo be submitted every year? At the first gym we were at they asked for copy of bc and a photo. Once we were registered with usasf I received an email with our login info. The last gym we were at only asked for a copy of bc. I was not given any login info because they used gym email. The only info from the first gym is still on usasf site that we were registered with them a couple of years ago. I submitted a login request recently for the 2nd gym. They registered my child under them, but no photo. I don't think they transferred it from the first gym, otherwise shouldn't the old pic have shown up as well and all be under one account? Even if they had transferred it, shouldn't they have used a new pic since there is a big change in appearance in young kids in a short amount of time?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've posted this before and I'll say it again. I honestly can't stand when gyms do this and my gym was nearly a culprit of this when the rule change came into play as I myself was placed on a Junior team when I was senior aged. Unlike others though I did something myself and got myself kicked off the team to make it age eligible as I couldn't live with the thought of getting my own teammates disqualified at a competition.

Okay on person listed that the owner's child was involved so that the owner knew. There is no way that an involved parent would not know who the owner's child is and that they were on teams they did not qualified age wise. Those that did not need to be more involved in where they have their child and where their money goes.
I don't know. It took me several years to figure out anything about cheer and its levels, and rules, and divisions. I had to do it on my own, because it certainly wasn't put out there by our first gym owner.

And there is a kid at our gym whom I have been driving for two and a half years. The parents are almost never present for practices, and have only attended a few competitions. They most certainly do not know the rules. Not because they are bad parents, but because they have six children, all of whom they support in following their passions. In order to do this they have to rely on others sometimes, and can't know everything there is to know about every industry. They should be able to rely on a gyms "certifications" to know that there is a minimum standard that is being followed.

If a gym is allowed to advertise itself as a USASF member, it should also mean that the member is in good standing. I believe I should, as a consumer, be allowed to verify if there have been any sanctions against them. Not sure that all parents would do this, but the information should be available to me in my decision making.

Back