All-Star Getting People Into Your Gym

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 13, 2011
I'm the coach/director of a new program that I "inherited" when the old head coach moved away. We just started our second season. We've only got one team now, a senior level 3, but I'd like to try to get more girls in the gym to be on the team, and I'd also like to maybe start a Junior team. What's the best way to spread the word about the program and get people interested? Thanks!!

This year for my small gym the coach and I gave out flyers like crazyyyy all around our town. Even some of the cheer moms that worked at schools gave out flyers. Especially at like city soccer games, we put flyers in Teen Store/kid stores, Walmart, Target & Put an add in the paper. One gym in my area had someone said about their gym on the radio.

Advertise like crazy. Facebook is really great. Have a bring a friend night--I always get at least 1 kid from these usually 3-4. Your kids and parents are your best salesmen

Mmm i totally agree! Just get your word out there to show people who you are. Make flyers and post em absulutely every where that will take them.

Once you get the word out, I think the (obvious, yet I believe easily overlooked) thing is to focus on your TEAM. The success of your team, even if it's just one (or a few), is a HUGE brand ambassador for your gym. Just like you wouldn't want to have Lindsay Lohan as a spokesperson for your babysitting service, you want to make sure your team is the best they can be and highlights what you as a gym want to emphasize (cleanliness, super-amazing tumbling, etc). You might have one team, but if they're winning big nationals and you've got a loud, supportive parent section, it really speaks volumes to the people who might be looking. As an excellent example, GBE was a small gym who put out winning routines and showed their exceptional stunting skills. They are now a well-known, respected, growing gym.

I'd also suggest if you've got the space and resources, open it up for mommy and me classes and HS team practices/choreo. Things that get outside people in the gym..

Totally agree with @kristenthegreat. Be great at what you have now and don't let your eye off that ball.

1.If your schedule, focus and time permits, open houses to allow people to come ask questions and explore your world.​
2. 1 day Cheer camps for ages 4-18 is a great way to introduce kids to the cheerworld and expose them to your great organization and gym.​
3. Facebook page and post ALOT!!​
4. Website, so people can input your local area and cheer and find your gym​
5. most importantly Get USASF membership, so you are listed on the USASF site when people are looking for gyms in their area.​

Totally agree with @kristenthegreat. Be great at what you have now and don't let your eye off that ball.

1.If your schedule, focus and time permits, open houses to allow people to come ask questions and explore your world.​
2. 1 day Cheer camps for ages 4-18 is a great way to introduce kids to the cheerworld and expose them to your great organization and gym.​
3. Facebook page and post ALOT!!​
4. Website, so people can input your local area and cheer and find your gym
5. most importantly Get USASF membership, so you are listed on the USASF site when people are looking for gyms in their area.​
I also forgot to mention the necessity of a good website. It doesn't have to cost 1000s of dollars (especially if you're just starting out), but a well-put-together, FUNCTIONING website is SO key in this age. Nothing SUPER crazy or hard to read. Something simple, a basic template that is easy to update so you can utilize it to its fullest. If I don't know much about an organization, I google it. If no website comes up...my search pretty much ends there. I MIGHT try on youtube if it's a cheer gym, but I don't put in much effort if there's no website because I assume they don't have a strong internet presence. Updating the facebook is important too. Especially if you're trying to add more in the upper junior/senior age range.

I think schools are your best choice! If your area has a strong cheer program in the middle & high school area, it is a great way to get experienced talent! Good luck with your search, hope you have a wonderful season!

take advantage of all the free advertising you can do, as well as mall performances or the like to help spread the word of your organization!

Give out some freebies. The best thing about a service industry is there is zero cost if you do the work. So, offer up a free stunt clinic or tumble clinic to your local school teams. If you do a good job, they will probably want more.

Back