High School Girls Who Are Flyers...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I just had tryouts for my team and at our first practice last night I was already getting questions of who's basing, flying, and backspotting. I simply answered them that they may have two roles, flying for a prep and basing/backspotting for a lib, etc. My squad is all pretty much new, I really only have 3 girls that couldn't be toppers as they are heavier than the others. The rest are all small enough they could fly. One of my secondary flyers from last year is nervous about whether she'll fly at all. I sat her down and asked her "Is there any position on this squad that is more important than another?" She thought about it and said no. So I said "then does it matter if you fly or you base, as long as you are doing what's best for the team?" She said no, not really. She was concerned that I wouldn't consider her for basing, but this girl has some muscle and could totally be an awesome base. Height isn't my determining factor for a flyer, I look at flexibility, confidence, ability to follow directions, and natural learning ability. I had a girl last year that had only ever back spotted that when given the chance pulled a lib after two attempts. This girl had never flown before but she had a natural ability.
I told one of the girls last night that only wants to fly that if she's not willing to be a backspot or a base at some point if that's what's better for the team then she's on the wrong team.
As a coach, I am going to do what's best for the team and I am always conscious of making sure I don't put the same people in the back for cheers or hide any girls. They all have good qualities that can be showcased, that's why they made the team, but they have to trust that my decisions are for the best.

Thanks for the answers. My CPs team hasn't even had try outs and no one has even suggested that she wouldn't fly. I was just curious, and used her as an example, of if it is safe and easy for a years long flyer to base more advanced stunts. I believe she would do whatever her coached asked of her. At least I would hope so. lol

Back