All-Star Going Over Scoresheets With Team After Competing

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 18, 2010
To me, there is just no way this shouldn't be done. I ALWAYS go over them with my team, because how else are they going to know what to focus on for next time? And, I don't just read them out loud, I explain things and try to get them to explain things too, so they can have a better understanding of it. (For instance, "watch technique on jumps" I'll ask them "so, what does that mean?" And when the kids start responding with rapid fire answers like "chest up" "toes pointed" "sharp motions" "chin up" "roll hips", then I know I'm doing my job teaching them lol) If it's a 1-day or a local, I will go over it with the kids at the next practice (though, usually if it's a local that uses an "old-school" or nonUSASF format, I won't spend the time lol). If it's a 2-day, I will always call a team meeting with them on the Sat night to review. At my previous gym, we allowed parents to be at this meeting and hear some of the things we said. I didn't really like it at first, but I got used to it. I'm curious to know if it is common at other gyms to allow parents to hear your scoresheet comments when reviewing them with your team?

I would love to hear the scoresheet comments. But I am naturally an inquisitive person, and I love to learn about everything. I can understand why comments are not shared with all parents, as I can imagine a bunch of parents now trying to coach his/her athletes and not doing so correctly.

Not sure of the commonality of it, but, the more you educate your athletes and parents as to what is going on, the less rumors or wrong information spreads.

I never really thought about that aspect, VERY TRUE:)

I could picture it now- going over a score sheet with parents and a comment says, "flyer in back left for XYZ stunt must point toe" or "girl in front row on right landed jump with legs an inch apart". The team could have been out of first place by 20 points but now it's the fault of that kid with the one minor comment. Or your choreography score is 18.5/20- parents now complaining about why they pay all of this money for a choreographer if they can't get a perfect score every time. There is such thing as over-sharing and IMO this is definitely an example of that.
smile.png

I ALWAYS go over the scoresheet with the team...and often include the parents too : )
My primary goal is to make sure we are in the correct range (when there is a scoring grid)

I even will take the scoresheet from a younger team (that already competed) and bring the sheets back to my senior teams (before they go on) and try to see what is important to that specific set of judges.

I also know that judges aren't always right... and I may have thought that my team "had great energy" and then we get a comment that says "needs more energy"...I will always tell the team "I don't agree with this comment".

I believe that I know my team better than any judge. Some comments I agree with and we work that suggestion....and others I believe that I am smarter than that specific judge and we continue to work on....what is important to me.

I could picture it now- going over a score sheet with parents and a comment says, "flyer in back left for XYZ stunt must point toe" or "girl in front row on right landed jump with legs an inch apart". The team could have been out of first place by 20 points but now it's the fault of that kid with the one minor comment. Or your choreography score is 18.5/20- parents now complaining about why they pay all of this money for a choreographer if they can't get a perfect score every time. There is such thing as over-sharing and IMO this is definitely an example of that.:)

I can see your point. But, it's been a long time since I've seen scoresheets THAT specific. Usually, it's just a general "flyers lock, flyers point toes, etc"... also, if you explain to the parents that it's not the choreography itself that is being critiqued, but the way it's executed. For instance, I believe the Cheersport scoresheet takes into consideration "entertainment value" and other things as part of choreography and the Varsity scoresheet dosn't even have "choreography" as a category. It just says "creativity".... at the end of the day, they're both completely subjective categories in the first place.

I too share the scoresheets with the team. Its their performance. And most of the time, I leave the scoresheets out on a table for our parents to look at. I think it helps for them to know that what we, as coaches, tell them during practice is often the same thing the judges write down.

I ALWAYS go over the scoresheet with the team...and often include the parents too : )
My primary goal is to make sure we are in the correct range (when there is a scoring grid)

I even will take the scoresheet from a younger team (that already competed) and bring the sheets back to my senior teams (before they go on) and try to see what is important to that specific set of judges.

I also know that judges aren't always right... and I may have thought that my team "had great energy" and then we get a comment that says "needs more energy"...I will always tell the team "I don't agree with this comment".

I believe that I know my team better than any judge. Some comments I agree with and we work that suggestion....and others I believe that I am smarter than that specific judge and we continue to work on....what is important to me.

That is a FANTASTIC idea:).... You run such a great program, I feel good about the fact that I agree with all of the above lol

I too share the scoresheets with the team. Its their performance. And most of the time, I leave the scoresheets out on a table for our parents to look at. I think it helps for them to know that what we, as coaches, tell them during practice is often the same thing the judges write down.

Yes, I always love seeing comments on my scoresheet that I say every single day at practice :confused:

My cp's coach always goes over the scoresheet with the team and the parents are allowed to listen. I too am an inquisitive person and often ask questions. I think educating the cheerleader and the parent is VERY helpful. You want to know why team A is winning? Well here's why. As a parent I try to re-enforce what the coach just told my cp whether it be a reminder to point toes or just find out what she heard and what she thinks she needs to do. The other thing our coach does is she asks the cheerleaders why they have deductions. Our mini aged girls are usually right on the money, because they have been educated.

I almost always ask the coaches right after they get them and get a chance to look at them if I can read through it and everything I love knowing what needs to be better and what parts the judges really thought we excelled in!

I think its very important for the athletes and parents to know the scoresheets. Too many times I've heard both parents and athletes saying they lost just because Suzie touched down in her tumbling..........but when really knowing how the judges score, you might have won even though Suzie touched down if you had better scores and technique elsewhere.

I always share scoresheets. We go over them at practices and on nationals we also have team meetings on Saturday night to go over the judges comments for Sunday. Our parents are allowed at the meeting and to see the score sheet. i've never had problems with that. There are always some that think they know everything but for the most part the parents don't really understand so hearing the feedback and seeing the scores helps them understand and then they can also help remind their cheerleaders of what they need to do.

Back