OT Good Camera

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

dawgshow

Cheer Parent
Oct 14, 2010
Does anyone know of a decent camera that captures action shots that doesn't cost a gazillion dollars? Our little one shot just isn't cutting it anymore.

Nikon Coolpix L22 has a frame by frame function where you can hold down the button and take pic after pic. They aren't all good but I've gotten shots like this:
dww7l1.jpg

r2qd05.jpg

Negatives, it doesn't do well in some lighting

I would say go with a Nikon. Nikons are always what we've used because we trust them to last a while. The coolpix is exceptional for a small camera. It's not very expensive and takes decent shots. this is a shot I took with my coolpix-
536328_2616001178112_590453650_n.jpg

sorry it's so big btw.
That camera is really just good for the convenience of being so small. My other camera is the Nikon D5100 which is a DSLR. It's AMAZING. my mom shot my whole Sr4 routine day 2 of a competition last season by just holding down the shutter. And my brother plays travel baseball and we always get great shots of his swing.
my stunt group-
165809_2822170692221_892049529_n.jpg

we use a Canon SLR d40. It allows you to shoot 10 - 15 frames per second. But you also have to have a lense that will allow in enough light (without a flash) for good indoor pics. I use a 2.8 lense and gotten great volleyball photos. My advice is to check out a good camera shop. see if you can test the cameras and see what might work best. they also sometimes have used cameras for sale - make sure you are comparing indoor pictures (outdoor lighting is usually much better and much easier to get action shots). We have Calumet in our area. This is our first season with cheer - what are the rules for photography? No flash? for gymnastics - you could not even have a video camera with the little red light on it.
10rn97k.jpg
[/IMG]

This is our first season with cheer - what are the rules for photography? No flash? for gymnastics - you could not even have a video camera with the little red light

No flash for sure. Depending on the competition, some say no pictures at all.

we use a Canon SLR d40. It allows you to shoot 10 - 15 frames per second. But you also have to have a lense that will allow in enough light (without a flash) for good indoor pics. I use a 2.8 lense and gotten great volleyball photos. My advice is to check out a good camera shop. see if you can test the cameras and see what might work best. they also sometimes have used cameras for sale - make sure you are comparing indoor pictures (outdoor lighting is usually much better and much easier to get action shots). We have Calumet in our area. This is our first season with cheer - what are the rules for photography? No flash? for gymnastics - you could not even have a video camera with the little red light on it.[/IMG]
Half the time the photographers at the event have a continual flash set up. I've never seen someone say that I couldn't but I've never needed to because it's usually lit so well.

Does anyone know of a decent camera that captures action shots that doesn't cost a gazillion dollars? Our little one shot just isn't cutting it anymore.

Ive had two Nikon DSLRs. They take very nice pics (pm me and I'll link you). There is a big difference in affordability for different folks, but you can get a decent one for as little as $700 and all the way to $3000+ lenses, etc.

Some of my photography geek friends even shoot in raw and "develop" the pics themselves with fancy software.

First off, my dad and I shoot with a Nikon d7000 with a host of delightful lenses that cost more than my laptop. If you want to see some of the pictures I can send them.
Make sure that the event you are attending allows telephoto lenses. Many are starting to ban the large lenses for non-professional photographers. When this happens I shoot with my Nikon 26288 and it seems to do really well for catching quick shots and the video isn't too bad. It has continuous shooting too! It travels nicely and takes a beating in my purse.

We use a canon rebel t3i. most of the photos i've posted here were shot with it.... We bought it in a package at Sam's club, I think it was $999, but it came with a short lens (good for everyday stuff), a long lens (zooms - my mom uses it at competitions and it's great!), an SD card, the camera bag, battery, charger, and the camera of course.
IMG_2670.jpg

IMG_2629.jpg

There's some from my competitions (sorry for size!). It takes really good pictures and has the continuous shooting where you hold it down and it takes a bunch of pictures! It's what my school gets for us to use for yearbook shots so that's where I heard about it... I love it! I'd recommend going to a camera store first and looking at the cameras there, some people prefer canons and some prefer nikon.

The most important thing for low light / fast action is having a fast lens (one with a wide aperture / low "f" number.). Of course those are pretty pricey. That and the ability to have a high ISO.

When I shoot cheer, I usually have my ISO pretty high (3200+) so that I can have a fast enough shutter speed to freeze the motions. Look for a camera body that will let you shoot with a higher ISO (and good quality at that ISO.)

If none of that made sense, check out the book, "Understanding Exposures.". It does a great job explaining it in non-technical terms.

Am so happy for this thread. Am in desperate need of a new camera and have been trying to decide whether to upgrade my Nikon SLR or to replace my broken Nikon Coolpix. Low light and fast shutter speed are my two main requirements.

I can get away with a higher f stop (even up to 5.6) if I can get closer, crank up the ISO and also when I edit pics after the fact. F2.8 lenses are awesome, but pricey, especially of you need to zoom. So I mostly rely on cropping and editing rather than spend crazy amounts of money. Just another random thought for this thread...

one other suggestion for action pictures especially in low light is to get a monopod to attach to your camera. This will allow you to get a steady camera position for action shots - but easier to maneuver around than a tripod.

Again, Calumet Photo is a great professional photo shop that can talk you through your needs. I actually rented the Canon 2.8 70 - 200 zoom lense for a weekend to try it out before purchase.

Back