All-Star Grammar Thread - Have At It

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

"If 2 vowels go walking, the first one does the talking" But then, wouldn't that make it "ay-nt"? Ah yet another exception in the English language ;)
The majority of words don't actually follow that rule! 60% don't according to google. It would be more useful to just teach kids "these letters together make this sound" like we do with th and ch. just teach that au makes the aw sound, like in haul, audio, etc and problem solved!

The majority of words don't actually follow that rule! 60% don't according to google. It would be more useful to just teach kids "these letters together make this sound" like we do with th and ch. just teach that au makes the aw sound, like in haul, audio, etc and problem solved!

by the time i got to school, if they tried to tell me aunt (ant) was pronounced "awnt" i wouldn't have changed my pronunciation. blame my parents who taught 3 year old me to call my aunts "ants." that's their name and i can't change it now lol

I have Aunts, Ants and Anties. It's funny too, that each one is SPECIFIC to the person. Like my Aunt Robin is 'Awnt' Robin. She is not 'Ant' Robin. But my 'Antie' Jo is always that way- all my 'Antie's are 'Antie', not 'Awntie' (and usually, they're my great-aunts. Whom I refer to as great-aunts, not great-'ants). 'Ant' Jane.

I'm weird like that.

My niece calls me Erin and my younger sister Teryn (our names ) but if she's speaking to some one about us she always differentiates us as "Aunt" (awwnt) and "Auntie" (awwntie). I'm always Aunt Erin and Teryn is always Auntie Teryn. I'm never Auntie. We don't know why she does it, but she's done it that way since she was at least 2.

I have nieces and nephews in Texas that I'm not close to....but they call me "Ant" Erin and I'm always like no really Erin is fine.

I just hate being called anything but Erin....I'm pretty sure my kids will call me Erin.

My niece calls me Erin and my younger sister Teryn (our names ) but if she's speaking to some one about us she always differentiates us as "Aunt" (awwnt) and "Auntie" (awwntie). I'm always Aunt Erin and Teryn is always Auntie Teryn. I'm never Auntie. We don't know why she does it, but she's done it that way since she was at least 2.

I have nieces and nephews in Texas that I'm not close to....but they call me "Ant" Erin and I'm always like no really Erin is fine.

I just hate being called anything but Erin....I'm pretty sure my kids will call me Erin.
Some people say unty (no 'a').

All any of this does is remind me of that Eddie Izzard sketch about languages from Dressed to Kill.

"We spell thru 'through', and that's trying to cheat at Scrabble."

I have Aunts, Ants and Anties. It's funny too, that each one is SPECIFIC to the person. Like my Aunt Robin is 'Awnt' Robin. She is not 'Ant' Robin. But my 'Antie' Jo is always that way- all my 'Antie's are 'Antie', not 'Awntie' (and usually, they're my great-aunts. Whom I refer to as great-aunts, not great-'ants). 'Ant' Jane.

I'm weird like that.
Same. Have 1 awnt, all the others are ant

If your job posting shows that you do not have a grasp on basic grammar, I will not be applying to your company.

"Seeking An Permanent Art Director"

Ughhhh no.:banghead:
Look at it as an opportunity for you to start and advance quickly.

New one for you all that I almost screwed up yesterday: principle and principal

Taking AN SAT or AN SOL test.

No.

You take A Scholastic Aptitude Test or A Standards of Learning test.

Gotta disagree on this one. (but I still live you)

I was always taught that it's "a" or "an" based on the sound you'd actually make speaking it out loud (in this case "ess" which is a vowel sound, therefore "an") - this is how apa style does it, and apa is how I write EVERYTHING because it's drilled into us in school.

Technically "a" is correct only if you are going to pronounce it like the word "sat," but if you are pronouncing the letters "S-A-T" then "an" is correct. If you were reading something out loud about SATs, you wouldn't fill it in with "Scholastic Aptitude Test" - you'd still just say "ess - ay - tee" (sorry, best I can do at phonetics). So, you'd still say "an" because it precedes a vowel sound.

For something like SCUBA, where you're actually saying it like a word, then "a" is correct.

Back