All-Star Gym Charging Too Much?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Ok... I'll try to answer them. Hahah...
Average local income in this area is 75,000$ annual, medium city (surrounded by a lot of other cities), I'm not sure about divorce rate, I'm not sure about their operating costs...I am the ONLY cheer person (no help from their employees AT ALL) no benefits....
The hours suck but I didn't pick them...They did. They shut the gym down at 7:30 every day. The athletes can bring friends whenever they want :) and we have fun bring a friend activities and days too. Yes we have performed at a few charity events to promote and our girls are active in the community doing charity work as a team. I wrote the contract (which is why I own the rights) but it is up and I have not renewed it. I have created flyers and flyered everywhere. Put some in the private schools in the area (public does not allow becausew e are not nonprofit) I have taken out ads on facebook and google, and offered deals on yelp and groupon, tried living social but they said no (not big enough in this area yet).... I truly believe it is just the cost and the fact that the gym does next to nothing to support the cheer team...
Thank you :) At least I know I'm not the only one... I think I'm going to look into leaving the gym and joining another and just tell the girls that this is where I am going if they want to come...

Here's the catlady's business 2 cents......When you look for a new gym, find out what time the schools let out in the surrounding area. Our HS's get out at 3:30 PM, MS's get out at 4:15 PM and elementary at 2:30 PM. Most of the after school activities for our HS end between 5:30-6:00 PM, on top of that, many older siblings have to watch the younger until the parents get home. Even if your schools get out earlier, your hours of 4:00-7:00 PM, three days a week are not work friendly. I understand that is the gyms hours and they chose your hours, but the harsh reality is you accepted to sublease their space at those times. Secondly, subleasing isn't cheap, you are not only helping pay for the monthly lease, but also, everything associated with just running the building in general from taxes, utilities, maintenance, supplies, etc. Businesses that sublease space generally are not responsible for providing support, employees or marketing, unless it was otherwise agreed upon in the terms of your contract.

Honestly, you are subleasing and you get to keep the rights to your teams, your price is reasonable at a yearly rate of $2760. Your take of $74 per student may seem low, but the gym owners take is pretty low considering your current enrollment. Apples to apples, our gyms yearly tuition is about $500 more than yours, but ours does include music and choreography. Our uniform, warm ups, bag, shoes, bows, gym wear and comp fees are substantially more with an average income that is comparable. You had some great marketing ideas, but your customers spreading the word is going to help you out the most. Look at those hours and the product you are providing. If not, are you in an area that understands competitive cheer? Educating the public is a whole different ballgame.

I feel like the gym that our team is at is charging too much and it is keeping us from getting new CP's...

Our current tuition is :$225/month including tumbling...

Is this too much?

It seems a little much, but it could include ( choreography/music fees, uniforms, makeup, coaches travel fees) if you don't know that it doesn't include that for sure don't worry & or make a big deal about it, I'm sure you'll receive some explanation about the charges from your director or coach. Contact them & ask what it includes. Most gyms I've been at charge around 125-200 depending on junior age, mini age, or senior age teams. ( one of the gyms charged around 125-145 & included a 1 your tumbling class in that amount so that could be possible too)

It seems a little much, but it could include ( choreography/music fees, uniforms, makeup, coaches travel fees) if you don't know that it doesn't include that for sure don't worry & or make a big deal about it, I'm sure you'll receive some explanation about the charges from your director or coach. Contact them & ask what it includes. Most gyms I've been at charge around 125-200 depending on junior age, mini age, or senior age teams. ( one of the gyms charged around 125-145 & included a 1 your tumbling class in that amount so that could be possible too)

Sometimes (ok, always) it helps to read the thread before answering. Your experience here will go much more smoothly if you take the time to read and learn how things work around here. Especially take the time to read the rules in the newbie section.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

The person you replied to is the coach and already explained what it includes and what she earns etc...

Please send more money

Mine is at least 300 and we are there for 3 hours a week.. But I'm hoping it includes EVERYTHING or else my mom is going to kill me!! haha

Just to be clear, your assistant coach is 17? I can't imagine paying a qualified coach so little for private lessons. We pay $65 an hour and it's comparable to the other gyms in this area.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
She is 17 and has been tumbling since she was 3. She was a tumbling coach at a local gym for 2 years before she joined Cheer. She just does this on the side for gas money.... I did ask another coach (full time with 10 years experience) who does privates at our gym and she says she charges $45 for the hour and $25 for the 1/2 hour...

Here's the catlady's business 2 cents......When you look for a new gym, find out what time the schools let out in the surrounding area. Our HS's get out at 3:30 PM, MS's get out at 4:15 PM and elementary at 2:30 PM. Most of the after school activities for our HS end between 5:30-6:00 PM, on top of that, many older siblings have to watch the younger until the parents get home. Even if your schools get out earlier, your hours of 4:00-7:00 PM, three days a week are not work friendly. I understand that is the gyms hours and they chose your hours, but the harsh reality is you accepted to sublease their space at those times. Secondly, subleasing isn't cheap, you are not only helping pay for the monthly lease, but also, everything associated with just running the building in general from taxes, utilities, maintenance, supplies, etc. Businesses that sublease space generally are not responsible for providing support, employees or marketing, unless it was otherwise agreed upon in the terms of your contract.

Honestly, you are subleasing and you get to keep the rights to your teams, your price is reasonable at a yearly rate of $2760. Your take of $74 per student may seem low, but the gym owners take is pretty low considering your current enrollment. Apples to apples, our gyms yearly tuition is about $500 more than yours, but ours does include music and choreography. Our uniform, warm ups, bag, shoes, bows, gym wear and comp fees are substantially more with an average income that is comparable. You had some great marketing ideas, but your customers spreading the word is going to help you out the most. Look at those hours and the product you are providing. If not, are you in an area that understands competitive cheer? Educating the public is a whole different ballgame.

Thank you for the advice :) I think we may have found a new gym (that will pay me decently hourly and on time) so I told our owners this wasn't going to work out any more...

Thank you for the advice :) I think we may have found a new gym (that will pay me decently hourly and on time) so I told our owners this wasn't going to work out any more...
Congrats and good luck.

Stop laughing, I'm serious. Please send more money

Hi Everyone :) just wanted to update...

We DID find a enw gym and have been there for a couple of weeks. We combined with another team that was already there and things seem to be going well but we did lose some of my more advanced and older girls in the process (due to payment issues). All in all I think that this was a good switch :)

Thanks for all the advice and support

Hi Everyone :) just wanted to update...

We DID find a enw gym and have been there for a couple of weeks. We combined with another team that was already there and things seem to be going well but we did lose some of my more advanced and older girls in the process (due to payment issues). All in all I think that this was a good switch :)

Thanks for all the advice and support
Congrats

Personally I think that is a decent price especially if tumbling is included, It also depends on how many hours a week they practice.

I still don't get why uniforms need to cost $300+.
The fabrics themselves aren't cheap. Some are upwards of $25 per yard. Then there's all the intricate piecing. The handwork of placing stones, etc. It would not surprise me if it took 3+ hours to sew a uniform, and that's highly skilled labor.

Back