All-Star Gym Owners: Maybe You Should Copyright Your Routines Too

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It confused me too- until I clicked the link. At the top of the page, it mentions that all the STUNT routines for each round are 'Copyright to USA Cheer.' Which I find...perplexing.

ETA: MY GOD. With this new board layout I look positively FANTASTIC. That coat has gorgeous detail!
i did click the link and read the top part but 1 dont understand how they can do that considering they didnt "invent" them, 2 the way its set up seems more about the stunts then the copyright, if that makes sense? hahah im still a little confused

i did click the link and read the top part but 1 dont understand how they can do that considering they didnt "invent" them, 2 the way its set up seems more about the stunts then the copyright, if that makes sense? hahah im still a little confused
I laughed at the thought that USA cheer thinks they can copyright routines. It's not like any of them are particularly 'new'. How difficult would it be if people could go around copyrighting sections of routines. Sorry, you can't do kick double fulls- Top Gun owns it. No doing a tilt in a stunt, someone else owns that as well.

I laughed at the thought that USA cheer thinks they can copyright routines. It's not like any of them are particularly 'new'. How difficult would it be if people could go around copyrighting sections of routines. Sorry, you can't do kick double fulls- Top Gun owns it. No doing a tilt in a stunt, someone else owns that as well.
i also hear cali allstars copyrighted the color blue. sorry everyone :)

So... copyright isn't like a patent or trademark. It isn't something you have to apply for or get approval for... it exists when you create certain things. Work you've crated is copyrighted, to you, as soon as you create it. So, therefore, gym owners (or their choreographers) *already* have the copyright on any routines they've created. It basically means that they can seek damages from anyone using their routines for profit... which is all this is saying. Don't take these specific routines (even though they're short, they're specific enough, with enough separate elements, that I suppose they could make a case in court if someone copied them exactly (or even mostly, as a derivative work)).

Anyway, bottom line - choreographers already have copyrights to their work (not specific stunts within the choreography, but the work in total). No need to register them anywhere.

They do own the routines. Keep in mind how STUNT works. EVERY TEAM has the smae play book and has the same routine, same music, same play book. They go head to head for the first 3 qtrs. The only routine that is not Owned by USA Cheer is the 4th Qtr that is done by the team.

They do own the routines. Keep in mind how STUNT works. EVERY TEAM has the smae play book and has the same routine, same music, same play book. They go head to head for the first 3 qtrs. The only routine that is not Owned by USA Cheer is the 4th Qtr that is done by the team.
I get that they own the CONCEPT of the routines, but my initial laughter was at the idea that they could own skills. No more extensions unless you want to pay!

Back