All-Star Gym Owners Refusing To Sign Release... Appeal Process?..

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It's no secret I do not like this rule and I've expressed my displeasure with it in other threads about the topic so I will keep it brief here...

I feel that if a gym wants to protect itself from gym hopping athletes at just two of 7 levels then it should be 100% on them. If a gym asked me to sign a document stating my daughter couldn't compete elsewhere that would send up a HUGE red flag about their abilities to retain athletes.

Maybe I'm biased but I feel gym owners do not need to be protected, athletes do!

So what about the gyms that don't take teams on At-Large bids? Should the kids on that team be allowed to go to Worlds with another program?

I just think its a choice and like every choice it has consequences. Yes I believe either end of the spectrum has some spiteful bitter people that could use an appeals process to ensure fairness to both parties (which may mean your appeal is not granted). I don't think it's necessary for me personally, just because I agree with the earlier poster's sentiments even if I don't believe it was communicated diplomatically.

However, my kids have level five skills but are at a gym without a level 5 team. We could've chosen to leave mid year but personally did not because 1) I believe in teaching my kids to finish what they start 2) I think you can learn from every situation good, bad or indifferent and 3) what's the rush?

My kids don't need to compete at worlds six times. They have time and I wouldn't feel right about stepping onto a team with a bid my kids didn't earn. Then it becomes about "I'm going to worlds!" Versus "were going to worlds!" And that's a big difference. I think they need to experience that entire progression of the team from its beginning, the wins, the losses, the bud quest... Together so when it's game time in April you're all equally committed.

That being says, I'm not a big fan if black and white. There are always outliers and exceptions and that's why I think an appeals process, even if its rarely used is a good fail safe to have.
What you just said... The entire point of this thread. It is NOT about bailing on a team because you got new skills, or because a coach yelled at you, or because mom had an argument with a coach. It IS about the fact that there is No way to appeal LEGITIMATE issues with coaches or owners not releasing athletes. Not sure how it got all twisted into other things...

What you just said... The entire point of this thread. It is NOT about bailing on a team because you got new skills, or because a coach yelled at you, or because mom had an argument with a coach. It IS about the fact that there is No way to appeal LEGITIMATE issues with coaches or owners not releasing athletes. Not sure how it got all twisted into other things...

Please list the legitimate reasons.

Side note: aren't you sneaky turning off your "Start a Conversation" link and forcing me to text you!

I haven't read through all of the pages here, but after going through this last year I thought I would throw my two cents in! A few people have mentioned that a gym closed down last year and wouldn't sign the releases, I believe you are talking about the gym I and the whole rest of the team left. The disreputable owner managed to keep the doors open, but she did make sure we paid for leaving. She would not sign releases for those of us who went to UA, she did sign releases for about 3 or 4 who went to other gyms. The USASF would do nothing to help us even though we had proven that she hadn't paid coaches, wasn't paying her bills and was all around dishonest.

The USASF needs to put some type of appeals process in place to look at cases individually. I understand the reason for the rule, to stop gym hopping but owners are totally abusing the rule just to punish athletes. Is this as prevalent in other states as it seems to be in IL??

So a question for those saying you want to leave for "safety reasons". How do you not notice or how are the safety reasons not prevalent until after November 1st or after your first competition, do you not notice things not being done safely until after competition season has started? Please help me understand how you can be at a gym where tryouts are often times in May and competitions start in November or December and not notice any safety issues?

There is only one I know that I would ever consider: gym closed down/no longer offers teams period. Not 'no longer offers worlds teams'. Or in cases of abuse, which requires police involvement and by that point your LAST worry should be Worlds, it should be getting your child support.

For anything else, no. Not sorry.

There is only one I know that I would ever consider: gym closed down/no longer offers teams period. Not 'no longer offers worlds teams'. Or in cases of abuse, which requires police involvement and by that point your LAST worry should be Worlds, it should be getting your child support.

Agree with all of this.

Side note: aren't you sneaky turning off your "Start a Conversation" link and forcing me to text you!
That's been off since I'm no longer allowed to answer rules questions and that was 95% of my PMs.

I didn't get a text from you though. Do you have a 480 or 901 number for me?

What could/should the USASF accept as proof in this scenario?

Has anyone recommended you check the bylaws to see what rights you may or may not have?

That's been off since I'm no longer allowed to answer rules questions and that was 95% of my PMs.

I didn't get a text from you though. Do you have a 480 or 901 number for me?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Only Available In Your Dreams For Now

So if my child joins a gym and trys out for and makes a lvl 5 world's team because she has lvl 5 skills and during the season the team drops to lvl 4...how is that gym honoring my contract w/ them? They're no longer providing what we signed up for and sorry but refusing to sign a release in that circumstance is wrong all day long!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

So if my child joins a gym and trys out for and makes a lvl 5 world's team because she has lvl 5 skills and during the season the team drops to lvl 4...how is that gym honoring my contract w/ them? They're no longer providing what we signed up for and sorry but refusing to sign a release in that circumstance is wrong all day long!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
from what i am gathering in general opinion here.. gyms owe athletes nothing, and promises made to athletes mean nothing. The money you pay and trust you put in a gym is only for cheerleading, not for worlds, even when you are signing on to a worlds team. Also worlds is not a big deal to miss. Owners and coaches have free reign after your athlete hits the mat to do what ever they wish with no repercussions. Safety issues dont exist, and you should be psychic as a parent and predict any issues that may present themselves after nov 1st. All coaches are honorable and would not hold an athlete out of spite. Also it is perfectly fine if only a few athletes fall through the cracks and lose out. As long as coaches and owners continue to have full control, its all sunshine and unicorns.

Back