All-Star Gym Switching Rant

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

i don't understand why x is happening,' etc..

I get the "they should do" stuff, but this sounds more like questioning a decision. Why is that always a bad thing?

Yes, I agree we all need to do what's best for our child, but last time i checked there is no "I" in T-E-A-M...not disrepecting, just my opinion.

No there's no "I" in Team. But there's a "M" and an "E."

If I were your coach and I knew you were leaving my gym for another, I probably wouldn't bring you either bc of the costs involved. It doesn't make sense to spend money on travel, etc bc it's no longer an investment in the future of my program.
That may not have been the case in your situation but that's how I would have handled it and the reason why.

I agree, but I also get why, as an athlete, @CApantherSmallSenior90 would have felt that sting and taken it personally. No one likes to be viewed as "an investment." They're people first.

My moms boyfriends daughter (or my sister ;P), used to cheer at one gym, she was DROPPED on her head while being spotted in a running full. She then switched and a lot of the girls started to ignore her and un-add her on facebook.

Its really quite pathetic how even for that reason, people would still hate on you and gossip about you just because you are leaving the gym. It won't affect them, and maybe little Susie can become center flyer next season within the absence of an athlete. People have no right to cause drama and gossip about you because you left a gym. It doesn't involve them, so why gossip?

i dont know if its just me but. . . i just dont feel you need to tell a gym owner your leaving.
unless they ask, so that they know what you felt they did wrong.
i wouldnt say i had a ton of issues leaving it was rather easy. and i still talk to most. but i guess someone felt the need to post on my formspring that i was a horrible person! and all i do is run my mouth and the next gym im going to be at isnt going to let me even be an alternate and so on. it was pretty mean. so i stopped answering questions on there. what i do in most cases is i answer back to comments for entertainment. who could blame me. just for the record. it never ends good. haah

Mamarazzi said:
I agree, but I also get why, as an athlete, @CApantherSmallSenior90 would have felt that sting and taken it personally. No one likes to be viewed as "an investment." They're people first.

I understand that but coaches aren't in business to train other gyms athletes. It sure does sting the coach for that athlete to leave also. It's very hard not to take it personally as a coach too.

I'm not sure why an athlete would stay at a gym once they've made the announcement that they're leaving. If they're staying to finish their season then they've made the announcement prematurely. It's just a difficult situation and I'm thankful that I've never had a kid switch gyms only to stay and keep training at ours.

Seeker30 said:
i dont know if its just me but. . . i just dont feel you need to tell a gym owner your leaving.
unless they ask, so that they know what you felt they did wrong.
i wouldnt say i had a ton of issues leaving it was rather easy. and i still talk to most. but i guess someone felt the need to post on my formspring that i was a horrible person! and all i do is run my mouth and the next gym im going to be at isnt going to let me even be an alternate and so on. it was pretty mean. so i stopped answering questions on there. what i do in most cases is i answer back to comments for entertainment. who could blame me. just for the record. it never ends good. haah

No one owes me an explanation at all. I DO ask that parents let me know of their intentions the week of tryouts so I can get an accurate count of returners. That usually opens the door for conversations. I've never had anyone just quit or switch with no explanation.

In the end it really just comes down to this.....Its not necessarily personal, we all just have to do what is best for our cps and our own situation. And it really shouldn't matter what colors you where as we cheer for our friends ols and new on the cheer floor :)
Those of you living the same drama...share and good luck on your new adventures!
It seems as parents we are darned if we do and darned if we don't, but we are trying to do the best for our kids. And if that means moving to a new gym, that's what you do and take all of the drama in stride! In the end, your cp is the one you need to look out for.:)

If I were your coach and I knew you were leaving my gym for another, I probably wouldn't bring you either bc of the costs involved. It doesn't make sense to spend money on travel, etc bc it's no longer an investment in the future of my program.
That may not have been the case in your situation but that's how I would have handled it and the reason why.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but @CApantherSmallSenior90 said that she had a paid bid & all cost were covered...if that was that case, why wouldn't you take her?

No one owes me an explanation at all. I DO ask that parents let me know of their intentions the week of tryouts so I can get an accurate count of returners. That usually opens the door for conversations. I've never had anyone just quit or switch with no explanation.
:) well i was just saying because i always see people saying that they should talk to the gym owner before leaving. and i feel that if the gym owner had any questions they would contact you! and there's nothing wrong with contacting them. that in my opinion is what you need to do to have a successful program!

I understand that but coaches aren't in business to train other gyms athletes. It sure does sting the coach for that athlete to leave also. It's very hard not to take it personally as a coach too.

I understand what you're saying, and I would think that it definitely hurts the coach. You would never want an athlete to see you as a "stepping stone," either. But these are kids and usually they don't get that they're helping a business, an industry, by doing what they love to do.

Mamarazzi said:
I understand what you're saying, and I would think that it definitely hurts the coach. You would never want an athlete to see you as a "stepping stone," either. But these are kids and usually they don't get that they're helping a business, an industry, by doing what they love to do.

Exactly. None of us, kids or coaches, want to feel as if we're being used and tossed aside. As much as it is a business, everyone is putting their hearts in it so seperation will always be painful for everyone involved.
As long as there is communication then the drama can be minimized and made less painful all the way around (provided that you have coaches who are professional!)

armycheermom said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but @CApantherSmallSenior90 said that she had a paid bid & all cost were covered...if that was that case, why wouldn't you take her?

I didn't see the part where she said all costs were covered. If that were the case, we would still attend and I'd do my best to be encouraging and supportive.

I'm just gonna ask: WHY WHY WHY do ya'll even care if people are "those" parents??? So what if they are? It's their kids, their money, their time, and their lives. Why do people have to get so wrapped up in judging everyone else's decisions?

When you work with a kids for years it hurts when they leave. It's definitely not ok to bash a parent- especially as a coach. We should set the example for the behavior for our athletes EVEN IF THEIR OWN PARENTS DON'T. Generally, if it's one of "those" parents I would be happy to see them go, but this should be about the kids. I have seen kids go that were happy where they were, but mom wasn't happy, and those are the ones that really hurt.

It's the same way for coaches too. ;)
Oh, I know that. I've seen & heard parents badmouth coaches, who really care for the kids and the team and are doing the best for them. No matter what we do as adults, there are going to be people who love it & people who hate.....don't you just love people..:rolleyes:

Back