All-Star Gym Viewing Area

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Our gym is a large rectangle: We have the spring floors on one side and bleachers along the opposite side for parents and spectators...

And to comment on whether or not parents should be allowed to watch in the first place... I don't see any problem with it as long as parents aren't causing problems or becoming a nuisance. I find it hard with my Tini's to keep them focused when they're constantly looking for their parents in the stands whereas the kids whose parents stay in the car, don't come in, drop off-pick up, etc. seem to actually get more done and are more willing to do whatever we ask of them..

I've never had a problem with parents coaching from the stands... for my teams. However, I have seen it done during tumbling classes and open gym, this I can't control but do not appreciate.

We have multiple spring floor rooms and several parent viewing areas but you watch on tvs on the wall. Its pretty neat and the girls don't really know you're watching.

I wanted to bump this for more discussion.

I have always been a firm believer in closed practice (my own parents were of the "drop off and come back later" variety.)

My first couple of all star coaching seasons, we were open (owner talked me into it) and it was miserable. I had a mom leave the parent area to come out ON TO THE FLOOR to talk to me about the routine. Parents tapping glass, trying to correct kids. We then went to curtains with the deal that as long as you DO NOT tap the glass or attempt to get your kid's attention in any way, we will leave the blinds open. The second I heard tapping, the curtains will be closed. Once I said that, that particular season went perfectly and the curtains were always open.

As far as school cheer goes, those are all closed, all the time. You have to understand my school cheer moms to really understand why. We are in a school gym. I previously allowed moms to come into the lobby area of the gym. There are a few chairs and a big door with a rectangular window that is maybe about the size of four little kitchen tiles wide. I got really tired of looking at that teeny tiny window and seeing (seriously) no less than 6 heads peering into it and simultaneously tapping on the window. Last straw was me getting cornered in a hallway as soon as I walked out concerning pulling a kid from a stunt (think cornered like you come out and Sharkeisha is waiting for you.) After I felt like my safety was threatened, I went to CLOSED. Like, drop off, do not come into the building and I will see you at showcase closed.

As I think about returning to coaching in 14-15, I'd like to relax things a little bit, but I know that a lot will depend on the parent groups. Wanted some more insight.

Back