Half Year Teams?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 13, 2012
So basically I missed tryouts for every gym in my area, but I really want to cheer again this year after being injured the last 2. This would be my first year doing allstar (I did gymnastics and school cheer before) I can't do a late tryout because the only ones that we know of are for IOC5, and I'd probably be flying/tumbling at a senior 3 tops. Does anyone know how I can either find a gym that accepts new members for non-Worlds teams mid year or has half year teams, particularly one in southern Wisconsin? And also, what is the cost difference between a half year team and a full year team?

Thanks a ton!

I'd call the gyms and ask about a late evaluation. Every gym around here adds members until at least September if not later. It may not be your ideal team, but you can get on a team.

Basically ALL Allstar gyms are still holding tryouts until around summer is over.
Half year might not be a good idea. Just saying, I went to go join a half year and everyone was 8 and younger. The half year I was going to do went to competitions, but didn't compete therefore couldn't win anything.

There's an awesome cheerleading gym in Eau Claire, Wisconsin called Exceptional Athletics! (EXAthletics.com) You can join their team pretty much any time you want to before comp season (I think that they're choreographing the comp routine in like August though..). Practices are usually once a week, but depending on your hometown, it might be too far away..

These are the gyms listed on the cheer wiki for Wisconsin:
Action Athletics (Mequon)​
Cheer Alliance (Wausau)​
Cheer Wisconsin (Sun Prairie)​
Green Bay Elite (De Pere)​
Heat Athletics (Sussex)​
Madtown Twisters (Madison)​
I suggest calling gyms that you are interested in and telling them that you are wanting to do allstars. Chances are, they'll still have a spot or two open! Most gyms don't set their teams in stone until after summer/choreography camp.​
Half year teams are usually cheaper, but many times it is for youth or junior age ranges in many gyms. The benefits of a full year team vs. the cost is well worth the experience if you are old enough to be fully dedicated to the sport.​

Heat, we already called and their teams are pretty much set (only looking for guys on their smoed 5). Action is the gym that only has IOC5 for anyone senior aged, and all the other gyms on that list are over an hour away one way. I feel like there's like one or two other gyms that aren't on the wiki, but I can't find any contact info for them.

Ask about their half year team program. This year my program had a Mini, Junior, and Senior 'fall team' that competed three times locally and at the US Finals. It really depends on the program and what kind of kids they're pulling. And it's crazy an Allstar gym turned you away. I cannot imagine all their senior teams are maxed out. It's poor business.

Another one of the gyms we called (a rec program) said we would have to pay a late fee if I were to cheer there... Is that normal?

So basically I missed tryouts for every gym in my area, but I really want to cheer again this year after being injured the last 2. This would be my first year doing allstar (I did gymnastics and school cheer before) I can't do a late tryout because the only ones that we know of are for IOC5, and I'd probably be flying/tumbling at a senior 3 tops. Does anyone know how I can either find a gym that accepts new members for non-Worlds teams mid year or has half year teams, particularly one in southern Wisconsin? And also, what is the cost difference between a half year team and a full year team?

Thanks a ton!
yeah, I'd definitely call the gyms. I can't think of any gym that doesn't allow people to have a late tryout. I mean, when I was at CEA we had new people join teams in the middle of the season (which I am not encouraging btw.). Im sure they'd be open to you!

Heat, we already called and their teams are pretty much set (only looking for guys on their smoed 5). Action is the gym that only has IOC5 for anyone senior aged, and all the other gyms on that list are over an hour away one way. I feel like there's like one or two other gyms that aren't on the wiki, but I can't find any contact info for them.
I was on Action's ICO5 team for one practice, Action pride! Woo hoo! Action got rid of their senior coed 3? :(
Try Altius Cheer Elite, it's in the Franklin area. I know they have a Senior 4. There's Glitz Cheer Company in Jansville, Not sure the level for that but I don't think it's anything higher than 3. They are a pretty new gym I think.

Where exactly do you live in WI and how far are you willing to travel? I'm from Menomonee Falls, not sure if you know where that is.

waukesha/new berlin area... anything outside past mequon or sussex is too far
A lot of girls in the new Berlin & oak creek areas go to Altius Cheer Elite, it's in Franklin. I'm not sure how close Fraklin is to Waukesha/New Berlin, I'm not that familiar with that area :/ I know more about the Milwaukee/Sussex/germantown/Menomonee falls area lol. There's also CYC in Kenosha, and they do tryouts anytime of the year. But I think that might be a bit far, it's like an hour & half from where I live in Menomonee Falls. Scamps outlaws is also in Kenosha, pretty positive they have a senior 3 team. Try this website, might be helpful:
Gyms of Wisconsin

HI! We are a gym in IL..and we have to offer the half season teams..A lot of our athletes also do HS cheer, and in IL they cannot compete for their HS and be on an all star team from November thru March (or IL HS state competition). We have such strong athletes in our area, and they love competing...so we do offer Half season teams that run from Feb (after HS state) thru April. It is a great experience, but the season is rushed...but, the athletes get the best of both worlds...HS cheer and All Star Cheer;) Hope you find a gym close to you that will allow you a late tryout!! Good luck!

Back