All-Star Has An At Large Bid Team Ever Won Worlds?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Cali Mom

Cheer Parent
Jan 13, 2012
I looked at all the at large bids we have this year at Worlds and was wondering if any team has ever won their division?

Basics Superstars when they placed third in small senior a few years ago, I think they may have had an at large bid? . I could be wrong though.

In just international divisions? Or in the senior divisions?

Both. Most recently in the senior divisions, Cheetahs won bronze last year in semi-limited coed with an at large. Paid bids are tough to win in Texas, so there often medal-caliber teams who don't end up without them.

I look at it like the NCAA tournament. Someone might be the number one seed but that doesn't mean they win. How many times has a number 8 beat a number 1 because the top team didn't play well that day? The paid people hit when they got the bid...and that might be normal for them....or they might've just had a great day. On the other hand someone else mightve had a bad day where it was a full moon on 3 different planets and it all just fell apart but that's not really representative of who they are. This has happened to EVERYONE on this board at some point, whether you're level 5 or level 1.

That happened to us day 2 at UCA. But that doesn't mean what we put on the mat that day is who we are....it (unfortunately) was who we were THAT DAY. Nothing more. I'm an avid underdog fan though....I love it when someone no one has heard of steps up in a division where they were not even on the radar....so I say, go for the gold at larges!!!

I look at it like the NCAA tournament. Someone might be the number one seed but that doesn't mean they win. How many times has a number 8 beat a number 1 because the top team didn't play well that day? The paid people hit when they got the bid...and that might be normal for them....or they might've just had a great day. On the other hand someone else mightve had a bad day where it was a full moon on 3 different planets and it all just fell apart but that's not really representative of who they are. This has happened to EVERYONE on this board at some point, whether you're level 5 or level 1.

That happened to us day 2 at UCA. But that doesn't mean what we put on the mat that day is who we are....it (unfortunately) was who we were THAT DAY. Nothing more. I'm an avid underdog fan though....I love it when someone no one has heard of steps up in a division where they were not even on the radar....so I say, go for the gold at larges!!!
That's what I was thinking - what a great story it is when an underdog (or gym that no one has ever heard of) can come and capture the Gold.

That's what I was thinking - what a great story it is when an underdog (or gym that no one has ever heard of) can come and capture the Gold.
I agree (but I'm arguably biased, we're one of those gyms no one has ever heard of so that's probably self serving on my part :)

For the record though, in our division, I have all my money on Brandon. I saw them at cheersport and UCA and they were simply astounding. I don't think well be that unknown team to win gold, I just want our kids to hit and feel good about their first ever appearance at worlds.

For the record though, in our division, I have all my money on Brandon. I saw them at cheersport and UCA and they were simply astounding. I don't think well be that unknown team to win gold, I just want our kids to hit and feel good about their first ever appearance at worlds.
(FYI (so I don't get bashed) this is not about the bids, just on the underdog topic mentioned)
12stepCheermom .... I started at brandon in 2003.. and back then I can say we were "known" around florida for our j5 and coed squad, beyond florida not that much.. I remember traveling to Atlantic City, NJ in 2006 and WC people asked us if we were called brandon because if that was our coaches name, etc... we were completely unrecognizable.. Even when we went to worlds in 2008 people had seen the uniforms and started to hear the name but we weren't a team everyone had to come watch or would rave over on the boards.. I loved getting to experience going from a no name to "fame". I always dreamed of being on Top Gun/Cheer Athletics/ Stingrays a big name gym when I was young.. and in the past couple of years brandon has been able to achieve that and although I am now an alumni, it gives me butterflies when I here the entire milkhouse or NCA arena shout out 'brandon!!' or when I see everyone asking how did brandon do?!? Its like wait, someone besides our moms care how we did?!?! :D

Pretty much though from my experience I have learned that an underdog today can be the next big champion tomorrow... that's why even when I have never heard of a team on a roster, I never count them out !! Your first worlds appearance is a big start to a long journey, but with hark work & dedication ANY gym can become the next big powerhouse..

brandon0309 I have always looked out for Brandon since I first competed against coed 5 in 2006. All you had to do was see their skill and you knew they were a force to be reckoned with. My best friend and I competed against their senior 3 team in 2008 and they went on before us. We screamed the entire cheer backstage...needless to say our coaches weren't happy with us.

This ramble is basically just to say that Brandon has always had random supporters.

Back